David Clifford

Well Known Member
The windows in my C-152 are really bad as far as clarity. They have crazing, stop drilled cracks, scratch's, and are "milky". I plan to replace them at next months annual. The question I have is tinting. Can anyone give me any pro's or con's on tints? I used clear when I built the Cozy as the thought was you get better night vision with clear. I am inclined to just go with clear on the Cessna as that is whats in the plane now but most all the newer planes I see have gray tint. 95% of my 183.4 hours are in this plane so I have nothing else to base a decision on flying planes with tints. Since Great Lakes Aero is near my home so I plan on getting them there and picking them up to save on shipping. Anyone have any dealings with them?? Thanks in advance!

.......I am inclined to just go with clear on the Cessna as that is whats in the plane now but most all the newer planes I see have gray tint......
What you ask about can only be answered with individual personal preference, so I'll weigh in. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some years ago, I replaced the original clear 'glass on the 150 with gray tint 'glass all around. I liked the gray tint better from two perspectives...both from the inside looking out and viewing the plane at a distance. Gray tint may also help to preserve some interior upholstery treatments from color fading due to long term exposure to direct sunlight. YMMV.

j7wax3.jpg

Does the gray tint hinder night vision any? I like the look of a tinted window plane but also like to fly at night.

What you ask about can only be answered with
individual personal preference, so I'll weigh in. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some years ago, I replaced the original clear 'glass on the 150 with gray tint 'glass all around. I liked the gray tint better from two perspectives...both from the inside looking out and viewing the plane at a distance. Gray tint may also help to preserve some interior upholstery treatments from color fading due to long term exposure to direct sunlight. YMMV.

j7wax3.jpg

Since it is certified, the FAA...

Does the gray tint hinder night vision any? I like the look of a tinted window plane but also like to fly at night.

...says your windows must have 70% transmissivity - at this level, the FAA obviously says it's OK for night use since the 152 is certified for night flight...:)

http://rgl.faa.gov/REGULATORY_AND_G...64cb577cc5bd525f85256687006f0292!OpenDocument

Go to your local plastics store and look at their smoke gray plexiglas samples - the data sheets should give the visible light transmissivity of each color density.

LP Aero supply their windows with Plexiglass 2515 Solar Gray at 76% visible light tranmission, clear plexi is 92% transmission. I have this on my Tiger, and it really is a very light tint.

Last edited:
Refitted with gray tint

I have the LP Aero Solar Gray tint in my Cardinal and love it. As Gill says it is a very light tint.

I have a brother...

Who installs window tinting on office buildings and homes for a living.

I asked him about putting some of his film on my RV's canopy. After checking with his suppliers he found out it can deteriorate the Plexiglas over time.

So, if you are going to put in window tinting, make sure it is OEM tinting and not the stick on kind.