SteveHRV7

How many of you have installed some type of window defogger/defroster?

I am at a stage where if I want to install some type of fan or airflow directed up onto the windshield I should do it now. I searched the threads but most of the posts are several years old. There seem to be 4 possibilities:

1. Don't install anything - its not a problem
2. Passive heating - warm air convects up through a hole in the glare shield
3. Active heating via airflow from a small scat tube directed at the window
4. Active heating via a fan of some type

Recommendations, advice, thoughts...

Thanks!

I have a 12 volt computer fan mounted under the glare shield (slider). No ducting, although I made a triangular shaped hood, which I don't use. Whenever the windscreen has fogged up during taxi, I flip on the switch, and it immediately clears. I'll just assume it's better to have one, than not.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I went for your option #3. And _very_ occasionally I develop fog on the windshield after engine start. No problem - I just crack the canopy and do my preflight checks. By the time I've done my runup the fog is gone.

How warm do the electronic components in the instrument panel get? Can a fan be used to draw warm air from the instruments toward the windshield?

Cheers,

I have a 3" computer pancake fan and it works great. It is mounted over the radios so it pulls a little heat off them plus the heat from the heater. Don