Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
This old RV6A I'm rebuilding had cracks on each side of the canopy fairing. I started grinding the various layers and colors of filler away to reveal a mess. It all had to be replaced.

I perused the forum but didn't like the methods of electrical tape layers and trying to sand down resin and glass to a feather edge and end up with a nice shaped fairing.

First I made some clips for the front edge of the canopy and made a bed of flox for the edge to rest in.

I saw on the EAA videos the use of Sheet Wax and had an idea. It is wax sheet with adhesive backing. Available at McMaster Carr. I cut strips and placed over my masking tape outline of the fairing.

CanopyFairing1.jpg

I then mixed some resin with flox and black dye and filled in against the wax border a fillet of the flox.
Fairing2.jpg

Then I did 4 layers of glass up to the fillet. Not sure if that is enough but it looks pretty good so far.

Fairing9-1.jpg

After the resin was completely hardened, I pealed the wax away and this what it looks like.

I've since sanded down the flox edge to about .05" and it looks really nice.

I thought I would share this techneque because it sure made it easy to get a nice looking shape on the edge of the fairing and a lot less risk of scratching the plexiglass.

Steve

Last edited: