Flyguytki

Well Known Member
So this is something that has been on my mind for awhile now regarding people wearing emergency parachutes however not knowing how to use them if they ever have too? For me I have been skydiving a few times so I know the basics of what to do and how to use the parachute, how to land, as well as how to fix a line problem if one occurs. What about the rest of you? Do you have the experience or knowledge or are you planning on winging it if the need ever occurs?

Many...

Flyguytki said:
So this is something that has been on my mind for awhile now regarding people wearing emergency parachutes however not knowing how to use them if they ever have too? For me I have been skydiving a few times so I know the basics of what to do and how to use the parachute, how to land, as well as how to fix a line problem if one occurs. What about the rest of you? Do you have the experience or knowledge or are you planning on winging it if the need ever occurs?
I know of over half a dozen glider pilots that bailed out with no real training, and all were OK... it may not be the best way to do things, but given the options... The few that didn't make it never got out of their glider.

One really bad habit to get into is to unfasten the chute in the plane and then get out... in an emergency, you might revert to your "standard" procedure and unfasten the belts and then the chute... :eek:

Always get in and out of your plane with the chute on your back, even if it is difficult.

Another important question that arises is "when to bail out"?

A long time ago, a very experienced glider pilot pointed out that you should always have hull insurance if you wear a parachute.
His reasoning was that the last thing you want to think about in an emergency situation - even a little - is the cost of the plane.... :eek:

Often glider clubs or encampments will have a visiting parachute rigger come and give a short presentation on bailing out... well worth it if you can find one.

gil A

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this topic too, on and off, and have wondered if it'd be worthwhile to take a couple of skydiving lessons. My concern is that I'd want to make at least one jump with the "real" parachute I'd be using as opposed to a sport chute/sail/etc.. No idea if that's wise or foolish - I don't know enough about the topic to even ask the right questions.

ChiefPilot said:
... My concern is that I'd want to make at least one jump with the "real" parachute I'd be using as opposed to a sport chute/sail/etc.. No idea if that's wise or foolish - I don't know enough about the topic to even ask the right questions.

Yes, it's possible. There are special harnesses available that allow you to wear another parachute as a backup since you'd be intentionally deploying your 'real' one.

I'm fairly positive any reputable dropzone is going to require you to have a bit of skydive training prior to doing this however. How much I'm not sure, but depending on the operation, and how well you're able to explain your intentions to them, you may be able to work something out.

Find a local dropzone, and talk to the manager there. All dropzones have access to at least one parachute rigger.

Actually, now that I think about it, the acro guys may have a better idea of how to accomplish what you're asking. I only have experience from the skydiving side, so there may be a better way to accomplish this.

I went ahead and posted this incase there may be some info that can help someone.

Good luck!

Being a parachute rigger, skydiver and ....

all around great guy, you probably can't test jump your parachute. Let's imagine that it is a 26' Lopo type. That would be too small to do a tandem jump. It may be an entirely different type (round versus ram air).

One option is to see what it looks like during a repack and have the rigger explain any control line options. Also know how to pull the ripcord. Know how to spot problems such as a security tying of the ripcord.

Another thing to do is wear the parachute and deploy it with the rigger watching (advising). Do this at the repack time since it will be opened anyway.

Flyguytki said:
Sky divers may jump hundreds, or thousands of times, which increases the probability that they may eventually see a failure such as a line problem. Plus they want to land without injury every time. So it makes perfect sense for them to have training.

Someone who bails out of an RV is doing it because they face certain death if they don't bail out. They will likely never have to bail out, so the chance of having a line problem on the one time they every use a parachute is quite low. If they break an ankle on landing, they will still be glad to be alive, considering that they would have died if they hadn't jumped. So they probably don't need to spend the time learning how to fix line problems, or how to land. In the big picture, if they can manage to get out of the aircraft, and pull the D-ring, that is all they really need to know. The CAP-10 I flew in France had a static line connecting the D-ring to the shoulder harness, so you didn't even need to worry about pulling the D-ring. You did need to remember to unclip the static line from the shoulder harness before getting out of the aircraft though.

If someone wants to do some skydiving to get used to using a parachute, go for it. But don't think that it is "necessary" before you wear a parachute.

My thoughts

I am an ex-skydiver, I have about 500 jumps.

I have to agree that jumping out of an airplane for a pilot/no skydiver is the absolute last thing you want to do. I mean think about it...If the engine quites, you have a glider that is a known quantity...stay in the airplane and fly it to the ground.

Even for me would I jump?...No way, unless there was NOwhere to land.

There are two other factors...

1) getting away from a violently spinning airplane and
2) Being in a stable body position when you dump...I mean pull the ripcord.

1) could be a problem...But if the airplane is that much out of control (airframe failure) you have little choice so its a moot point really.

2) Could be caluable to learn how to get your body stable...I.e body flat and face down. This is much more important with square canopies than it is with round canopies...All escape canopies are round AFAIK.

being face down and stable gives any canopy a chance to deploy without malfunctioning...An experienced skydiver will do this instincttively and I bet will take about 100 to 200 feet to achieve (depending on downward velocity).

Somebody who doesn't have a clue will never be stable.

But then again how much altitude you have to play with is the deciding factor.

For me personally if I got out above 2000ft I would track my body away from the airplane, get stable and dump.But this is not stuff a couple of jusmps is going to teach you t do....Not the tracking part anyway.

Bottom line, a couple of static line jumps won't hurt (hey its fun and VERY addictive) but it won't teach you much of value anyway.

Frank 7a

Articles to Read

frankh said:
I am an ex-skydiver, I have about 500 jumps.
2) Being in a stable body position when you dump...I mean pull the ripcord.
Bottom line, a couple of static line jumps won't hurt (hey its fun and VERY addictive) but it won't teach you much of value anyway.
Frank 7a
Frank... these two items are discussed by Allen Silver in a set of articles here that are aimed at aerobatic and glider pilots...

http://www.silverparachutes.com/uploads/EMERGENCY BAILOUT PROCEDURES.htm

In general, don't worry about being stable, and pull the ripcord as soon as clear of the plane, whatever altitude you are at. When I rented a glider for high altitude wave flying, the FBO said the procedure for an O2 failure (no back-up systems) was to bail out and pull the cord... if you pass out, you will wake up when you get down to higher O2 levels... :)

The articles above should be essential reading for all who wear an emergency parachute...

gil in Tucson

PS I got my FAI diamond altitude in that one flight, but only needed 23,000 ft due to a low start in the rotor....

Last edited:
Static lines

Kevin Horton said:
The CAP-10 I flew in France had a static line connecting the D-ring to the shoulder harness, so you didn't even need to worry about pulling the D-ring. You did need to remember to unclip the static line from the shoulder harness before getting out of the aircraft though.
Kevin, all the German sailplanes come with a big orange ring on the left side of the seat for a static line hook-up.

I've asked many parachute riggers about this, and not one has recommended using it. It just does not seem to be the standard in the US, but apparently is in Europe...

gil A

frankh said:
This always comes up in these discussions, and the assumption seems to be that you'd be able to get out of a "violently spinning airplane." Don't take this for granted. The loads imposed following a major structural failure could easily be great enough to prevent you from bailing out.

There have been many documented cases where, following a partial wing failure, that parachute wearing pilots have ridden the spinning airplane all the way in. I'm thinking in particular of the T-34 accidents that lead to their grounding a few years back, but there are others.

Kevin Horton said:
Someone who bails out of an RV is doing it because they face certain death if they don't bail out. They will likely never have to bail out, so the chance of having a line problem on the one time they every use a parachute is quite low.

I am also an ex-skydiver with over 1,500 jumps. I was a static line jumpmaster and tandem-master.

I agree with almost everything said so far. The exception is the statement above by Kevin. The main reason for line-overs and other opening related problems in being unstable. Most bail-outs are by pilots that have never jumped and aren't very concerned about getting stable and face to earth. Therefore I think bailing out of a disabled aircraft would greatly increase the possibility of a malfunction of some kind (over the typical skydive).

That being said, I would bail out every time if the alternative was being part of a smoking hole in the ground.

I think it would be wise for anyone wearing a pilot rig to get some training and also making a sport jump if your so inclined. I don't think there is any way you would be able to jump your own canopy without getting lots of experience. The most important thing is to have your mind made up before anything goes wrong and be ready to go over the side if needed.

Karl

RV8N said:
I am also an ex-skydiver with over 1,500 jumps. I was a static line jumpmaster and tandem-master.

I agree with almost everything said so far. The exception is the statement above by Kevin. The main reason for line-overs and other opening related problems in being unstable. Most bail-outs are by pilots that have never jumped and aren't very concerned about getting stable and face to earth. Therefore I think bailing out of a disabled aircraft would greatly increase the possibility of a malfunction of some kind (over the typical skydive).

That being said, I would bail out every time if the alternative was being part of a smoking hole in the ground.
I'm not sure what the record is in sky diving, but the record in military ejections seems to show that despite no effort made to achieve stability by the pilot, problems with line-overs are essentially non-existent. Granted, many modern ejection seats are designed so there is a drogue chute that stabilizes the seat prior to the main parachute opening, but up here in Canada there have been many, many ejections from older technology seats where there was no such drogue chute. I know of many successful ejections from Tutors, F-5s and T-33s, and know of no fatalities where the ejection was initiated at sufficient altitude.

We did carry special knifes in a pocket on the upper thigh of our flight suits to cut shroud lines if necessary, but I have never heard of one actually being used. I will admit to looking up to check the chute canopy after my low altitude ejection. That beautiful white canopy was the best thing I had ever seen, because I was sure that no matter what happened after that point that I would live.

How many fatalities have there been due to line-overs in sky diving? How many serious injuries?

az_gila said:
Kevin, all the German sailplanes come with a big orange ring on the left side of the seat for a static line hook-up.

I've asked many parachute riggers about this, and not one has recommended using it. It just does not seem to be the standard in the US, but apparently is in Europe...
Maybe some of our European RVers can jump in here. I know there are a lot of sailplane and aerobatic clubs in Europe. How common are static line hookups on these aircraft? What is the service record of these systems? How long are the static lines?

I think having a static line simplifies the bailout procedures, and ensures the chute will open even if you are disoriented, or hit your head on the aircraft on the way out. But, there is a risk of opening the chute too soon, and thus causing your to get hit by the aircraft. I think the best balance of safety is in using a long static line. But it would be interesting to know what the service record shows.

Kevin Horton said:
...I will admit to looking up to check the chute canopy after my low altitude ejection. That beautiful white canopy was the best thing I had ever seen, because I was sure that no matter what happened after that point that I would live...
Ok, Kevin, you got my attention! It must be an interesting story and I and others would like to hear it.

Going to any drop zone in the US and requesting to jump a round emergency type chute will probably not be met with enthusiasam from the staff. And I cautiously state, (in my experience) many drop zones have forgotten how to spot (determine the exit point from the plane) for a round parachute. Most sport jumpers now have square reserves.

I have trained MANY acro and race pilots how to successfully extract them-selves from an aircraft over the past 25 years. Many years ago by static line using round parachutes, then with tandem and accelarated freefall methods. Any more I basicly tell my pilot/student I can help them overcome their fear of getting out to reduce the hesitation if the time comes. The square chute we will use is very different from the round chute. You can purchase emergency rigs that contain a square canopy. Some manufactures require a minimum of square canopy experience level while others don't ask. I suggest a round chute for the inexperienced potential parachutist.

When I get a new customer coming to me for a repack of their emergency rig I have them simulate an emergency sitution and pull the ripcord. I have questioned pilots on what their procedures are and if it includes pulling pins to jetison something then I assist with the procedure (if it's not going to cause a structural inconvenience). Numerous individuals with an academic understanding of how to release the door on a citabria have never actually done it. On the ground with knowledgeable assistance is much better the first time than at 1500' in a spin.

I use a square chute in my emerency rig for my RV6. Now, I've yet to help settle the debate on whether a slider canopy can be opened in flight but after 27 years of skydiving I subscribe to the belief "you'll be surpised by the things a dying man can do".

#1 PULL (and if possible)
#2 PULL STABLE

References and recommendations to Allen Silvers website should be followed, good stuff, great rigger.

Rob Herndon (www.skydivestar.com)
Caldwell, Idaho RV6 223RH

Kevin Horton said:
I'm not sure what the record is in sky diving, but the record in military ejections seems to show that despite no effort made to achieve stability by the pilot, problems with line-overs are essentially non-existent. ...

How many fatalities have there been due to line-overs in sky diving? How many serious injuries?

Line overs or Mae West as it was/is known on a round parachute is pretty much a thing of the past. In sport skydiving in the US using anything but a square chute for training is almost considered negligence.

Line over or bow tie as it is commonly refered to with a square parachute still exists and is directly attributed to poor packing technique.

Round parachutes are considered more tolerant to unstable body position on opening than square parachutes.

Rob Herndon

Power Lines...

Kevin Horton said:
..... That beautiful white canopy was the best thing I had ever seen, because I was sure that no matter what happened after that point that I would live.......
Kevin, not a time to totally relax.... I've been present (as a glider pilot on the ground) at Elsinore, CA on two occasions when power lines claimed jumpers.... :(

gil A

Kevin Horton said:
I think having a static line simplifies the bailout procedures, and ensures the chute will open even if you are disoriented, or hit your head on the aircraft on the way out. But, there is a risk of opening the chute too soon, and thus causing your to get hit by the aircraft. I think the best balance of safety is in using a long static line. But it would be interesting to know what the service record shows.

Interesting thread.... a few thousand hours of sitting in an ejection seat, and I never jumped out of a perfectly good airplane!

In the T-34C we had a static line attached in the cockpit, procedure was to jump and pull the D-Ring just in case. The concern wasn't so much about an early deployment in flight as it was on the ground. A hasty retreat on the ground could lead to a ground deployment in proximity of the "meat grinder".

For what it's worth, we practiced getting out and landing, diving out of an old beat up fuse with a wing removed for a trampoline like contraption and lots of PLF's (parachute landing falls). As far as that in between stage, just advice on what you might try with a lineover.

Later we did the ejection seat simulator, which was frankly a let down, nothing like the real thing, the idea was to work on seat position.
Finally, I do remember a cold day in Pensacola Bay parasailing to a height of maybe a 100 feet, cut loose to try our hand at getting untangled in the water, I like to remember that as advanced water torture....

Dan

:D

Pull the Big Red Handle

I know this isn't what the thread starter had in mind, but it will be easy to deploy the parachute if I need to - there's a big red handle that activates the BRS. Yes, we can debate the wisdom of BRS (e.g., "BRS makes you take more risks"), but it certainly is easy to deploy once The Decision is made.

I remember my instructor's briefing on how to eject the door in the Citabria and then bail out. It would have been hard enough for me to get out, much less him. I suppose it can be done, but ....

TODR

As an Air Force novice static line jumper (23 jumps), my limited advice is don't try a stand-up landing even with a civilian square rig if you have not received any training beforehand. Instead, do a parachute landing fall (PLF) and keep your feet and knees together when you land. There's more to a proper PLF than that, but the internet is not the place to learn it. Theres no substitute for proper instruction from a qualified jumpmaster.

How right you are gil !

az_gila said:
Kevin, not a time to totally relax.... I've been present (as a glider pilot on the ground) at Elsinore, CA on two occasions when power lines claimed jumpers.... :(

gil A

I had a friend of mine have to use his reserve and landed on the runway.
The wind was blowing him backwards and he managed to land in such a way that he struck the back of his head on the runway. He was wearing a hockey hement (like most of us did). He went "out" and died three days later.

I've dodged power lines a barn and farm implements all on the same jump while landing under a reserve chute. Very nerve racking!

I've got to tell you....farm implements look very nasty at 200ft.
The wind was blowing me backwards pretty good.

It just might be windy when you have to bail out!

I agree with Gil, It's ok to feel good when the chute opens, but get ready!!

Here's an old photo that shows me on an earlier reserve ride, the barn I mentioned can be seen in the backgroud. On this jump I landed in the middle of the plowed field. Pretty soft stuff :eek:

reserveridejn4.jpg

Mark

Last edited:
If you are playing the odds...here is my take:
On my very first jump, I had a stuck slider on my chute which resulted in a deployment failure. By following the clearing drills that were burned into my brain in jump school, I was easily able to correct the problem and get a good chute. Training pays...

As a side note- the jump center where I trained insisted that all of the first-timers use the restrooms before rigging up. One of the jumpers said that he didn't have to go, and the instructor said "You will...you will...". I was glad that I listened to him :) With everything else that was going on while I was falling, I don't think I could maintain that sort of control...
I had a blast and couldn't get the smile off of my face for a week. Skydiving is fun!
Don

Mark Burns said:
I had a friend of mine have to use his reserve and landed on the runway.
The wind was blowing him backwards and he managed to land in such a way that he struck the back of his head on the runway. He was wearing a hockey hement (like most of us did). He went "out" and died three days later.

Mark

If proper technique is not used while being blown backwards there will be 3 points of contact with the ground - feet, butt, back of head. Get qualified instruction on the use of your emergency rig. Ask about about being blown backwards. The instructors advise should include: "if being blown backwards, before landing turn 45 degrees off the wind line in the direction you will PLF (parachute landing fall, 5 points of contact, none of which include the head)".

If anyone does not know where to find a qualified instructor in your area send me a personal message and I'll try and assist.

Gary Hubler (Reno racer) is a great supporter in my area for getting parachute instruction. He became a member of the Catapiller Club when he suffered a control failure while practicing one year and had to bail out. He had actually made a static line parachute jump a year or two prior just in case.

Sean Tucker and I have one thing in common and it's definitely not flying skill. We've both bounced off the tail of a Pitts on exit.

RobH RV6 223RH

airtime said:
If proper technique is not used while being blown backwards there will be 3 points of contact with the ground - feet, butt, back of head.

Sean Tucker and I have one thing in common and it's definitely not flying skill. We've both bounced off the tail of a Pitts on exit.
If someone does a handful of sky diving jumps years before they bail out of an aircraft, I question how much the result of the bailout would be affected by the training they received years ago. It isn't reasonably to expect everyone who wears a parachute during aerobatics or flight testing to be a current sky diver. So, we need to find ways to mitigate the risks that are inherent in having untrained people do emergency parachute jumps from aircraft.

I believe that if you wear a parachute, you also should wear a good helmet. This goes a long way to mitigating the risks of hitting your head on the aircraft, or the ground. Having a static line also helps here, as it ensures that the chute will open even if you hit your head on the aircraft on the way out.

n5lp said:
Ok, Kevin, you got my attention! It must be an interesting story and I and others would like to hear it.
Way back in 1991 two of us from the Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment in Cold Lake, AB were hopping across the country in a Canadair Tutor. We had an engine compressor stall while on approach to North Bay, ON. The engine was still running, but it had a much higher than normal EGT, and wouldn't accelerate above 65% rpm, which was not enough thrust to maintain level flight. The checklist for unrecoverable compressor stall said to shut the engine down and try a relight, but we were below 1500 ft when it occurred, so we both agreed that there wasn't enough altitude to try that solution. We raised the landing gear, jettisoned the external fuel tanks, and went to best glide speed, all in an effort to make the airfield. Initially, as we decelerated to best glide speed, it looked like we might make the field, but after the speed stabilized we eventually had to admit that the runway was slowly moving up in the windscreen.

We were over forest, with no roads to put the aircraft down on, so it was time to go. After making the decision to bail out, we saw that an electrical power substation was right in front of us, with high voltage power lines going in all directions. This wasn't a good place to come down in a parachute, so we stayed in the aircraft until we were safely on the other side of it.

I was in the right seat for this leg, so I went first. I pulled the ejection handles, and sat straight up in the seat, with my head against the head rest, waiting for the ejection sequence to start. I knew that the first event would happen a half second after pulling the ejection seat handles - the canopy would be removed by its pyrotechnic cartridge, followed a half second later by the ejection seat firing. I waited, and waited, and waited, and I concluded that the canopy wasn't going to go, and I would have to manually jettison it. I reached for the canopy jettison handle, but it fired before my hand got there - I realized that my sense of time was all screwed up by the adrenalin that was flowing, and now I knew how long a half second was. So, I got straight back in the seat again, and waited an eternity for that next half second.

The seat fired, with the biggest kick in the butt I have ever felt (old technology seat, with a pyrotechnic cartridge, rather than the smoother rocket motors on newer seats). I still have this image in my mind of watching the nose of the aircraft fall away below me as the seat went up the rails. I must have blacked out for a moment, as my next memory is starting through my automatic actions as I tried to "beat the seat" - there were a number of actions that should happen automatically after the seat fired, but we were trained to attempt to do them manually, just in case there was a malfunction. I reached to undo my lapbelt, but it had already been released. I reached back to push myself away from the seat, but it was no longer there. I reached to pull the D-ring, but I felt the shock of the chute opening before I could get my hand on the D-ring.

I looked up to check the state of the chute canopy, and saw that it was intact, with no shroud lines over it. Big relief. I looked down to see where I was heading, and was very dismayed to see that I was being blown towards the fireball from the aircraft impact. I had thoughts of being burned to a crisp, but fortunately the fireball only lasted a second or so, then it collapsed. I crossed overhead the wreckage, and landed in woods less than 100 ft from it. I had my feet together, and my knees bent for impact, and fell back on my butt. I looked up to that there was a small piece of something burning about 5 feet out in front of me, so I wasted no time in getting out of my chute harness and getting away from the wreckage.

I found Perry, the other pilot, on the other side of the wreckage - we were both OK, so at that point I didn't have a care in the world. We walked out to a field on the edge of the woods, and almost got run over by a farmer who came over the hill in his pickup truck at about 80 mph. He had seen us eject, and was coming to see if we needed assistance. He took us out to the road, and a few minutes later the crash convoy from the base arrived. The medical techs insisted we get in the ambulance, and they took us to the base hospital, where we had to spend the night under observation.

Perry had friends at North Bay, and several of them came by our room in the base hospital with a whole bunch of beer. We got absolutely snookered. The next morning my back was a bit sore, and the X-rays showed a very minor compression fracture. I was grounded for three weeks while it healed.

The engine tear down found that a shim had been misassembled in the linkage that went from the fuel control unit to the variable inlet guide vanes. It is likely that this linkage jammed, causing the compressor stall, as the stall symptoms were similar to what had been seen in the test cell on another engine with the same shim problem.

Several months later, the Safety Systems techs presented Perry and I with our ejection seats - all refurbished, and mounted on steel stands. Mine is sitting in my workshop in the basement. It is a reminder to expect the unexpected. Try to be ready for every possible problem, as much as practical.

Lessons learned - don't be afraid to admit that you can't save the airplane. We tried too hard to save the airplane, and this led to a low altitude ejection. I'm not sure exactly how high we were when we punched out, but it was certainly below 300 ft.

Do frequent practice bail out exercises. Every year we would review bail out procedures, and I would mentally practice the required steps every month or so. Once we had made the decision to go, I knew exactly that steps to take.

Kevin Horton said:
...I waited, and waited, and waited, and I concluded that the canopy wasn't going to go, and I would have to manually jettison it. I reached for the canopy jettison handle, but it fired before my hand got there - I realized that my sense of time was all screwed up by the adrenalin that was flowing, and now I knew how long a half second was....
Kevin, thank you very much for the fascinating account.

I agree - a great story Kevin - thanks for sharing it!

Back in Junior High School, I had a friend who's father was a Naval Aviator, and I got to read stacks and stacks of "On Approach", the magazine of Naval Aviation....there were lots of stories of ejections, and I took away the lesson that back then, you had about a 50/50 chance of getting out without a pretty serious injury. I have always been glad to hear that seat technology has gotten good enough that guys can be flying again within days of riding one....

(That friend from Junior High School? Turns out we've gotten re-acquainted after 30 years - he's building a -9 with a rotary engine, and his Dad built a -6 or -7....it's a small world, and you never know where early interests are going to lead you. If Doug's dad hadn't help to feed my interest, would I have leaned as much that took me where I am? It certainly didn't hurt!)

Paul

Practice

Kevin Horton said:
If someone does a handful of sky diving jumps years before they bail out of an aircraft, I question how much the result of the bailout would be affected by the training they received years ago. It isn't reasonably to expect everyone who wears a parachute during aerobatics or flight testing to be a current sky diver. So, we need to find ways to mitigate the risks that are inherent in having untrained people do emergency parachute jumps from aircraft.

I believe that if you wear a parachute, you also should wear a good helmet. This goes a long way to mitigating the risks of hitting your head on the aircraft, or the ground. Having a static line also helps here, as it ensures that the chute will open even if you hit your head on the aircraft on the way out.
Great post. Agree 100%. Never thought about a static line for me personally, not sure that's needed, but the helmet is a great idea for sure. I doubt it will catch on.

As far as training per Alan Silver article hear, Practice Practice Practice!

THIS IS A MUST READ
http://www.silverparachutes.com/uploads/Practice.pdf

You need to practice, mental exercise, bail out drill, on the ground, over and over, so if some one woke you up in the middle of the night, yelled "bail-out", you would just do it by training and recall. Silver recommends you normally get in and out of the plane with the chute on, verses leaving it in the plane and bucking the rig on/off in the plane. By doing that you actually get use to getting out with it on, which is the goal.

Training from a jump center is a good thing but don't think sport pilots MUST have it to use a safety chute effectively. However formal training and education, planning are not mutually exclusive. It would be good to jump once but it's not needed. Remember the WWII training films the paratrooper tower.

Read all of Alan's articles and try to catch one of his seminar's. He's done Oshkosh before. I was using a safety chute for years before I caught his seminar. I realized how little I had thought about what I was going to do, during an emergency bail-out. It's like a gun, its more of a danger to you if you don't know how and when to use it.

As much as "skydivers" make it sound technical and it is with rectangular ram-air chutes, safety chutes are like falling off a log. :rolleyes: :D . Seriously pulling the "D" ring is not rocket science. There is no free fall. Just jump and pull and pray it works out. The landing in high winds would suck, but if you have to bail and its on a gusty windy day, you're having a bad day.

HOW CAN YOU TRAIN FOR THE UNKNOWN? Sport parachute hobbyist jump out of the same wide open door from a plane flying straight and level under no emergency. Apples and Oranges.

If you find yourself in an out of control plane or one on serious fire (is there any other kind) your fate is sealed with out a chute. Love the safety chute. Hope I keep wearing it, never use it and its a total waste of money.

Last edited:
If you pull the D-ring....

You won't accomplish anything (assumes that you even have a D-ring).

Learn where the RIPCORD is and how to pull it.

Look at the D-ring

We had a parachute instructor visit our glider club (probably 30 years ago). He pointed out several safety aspects. One was to check the pins to make sure that they were all free. One was to LOOK at the D-ring to make sure that you were were pulling the right thing (not the harness). Another was to stick both thumbs into the D-ring (kind of like an interlock) and PUSH OUT very hard the first time so that if there was binding, you would have a better chance of not hanging up the ripcord. You have much more strenght pushing with two arms versus pulling with one hand. He talked about ground rush, where things look good coming down and suddenly the ground is rushing up at you. He also tauht us how to release the risers, so you would not be dragged across the ground in the wind.

He was also our tow pilot and a glider pilot. For gliders, he assumed that in most cases, there would be little decision making as when to get out. I was a glider partner with a sky diving buddy. Just hanging around, you learn a lot. Jumping off their platform, you can learn knees bent, side, and roll. Better than feet, knees, face.

At each repack, we would inspect, and then do the LOOK and thumb interlock PUSH to deploy the chute.

I have probably forgotten a lot of his instruction. Need to do it again if I start wearing a chute again.

Last edited:
bailout issues, pitch up, forces, clearance

Not all of us will be able to egress the aircraft if the canopy is not removed, depending upon size mostly.

A large person will require a more bulky parachute, compounding the problem.

I'm a sport parachutist, and after dirt dives with an Ercoupe, I won't be jumping from one with an intact canopy. We don't all jump from big doors, but certainly prefer them. I've jumped C-182 and 206's with regular jump doors (open up) and the normal doors (open to the side), a hot air balloon, Casa-212 (tail ramp) and a Pilatus Porter (big door) and also jumped a DC-3, with its smaller door. More room to get out is better, especially in an emergency.

I've made two emergency departures from jump planes.

A friend (pilot, skydiver, rigger, future builder) did several jumps from a couple Ercoupes, which aren't as fast as an RV, but should have similar egress geometry, in that you go out the top rather than the side.

I was particularly struck by the sudden pitch-up when the jumper stood up in the cockpit with half his body above the canopy. Subsequent exits involved much less time standing, and much more time staying low and slithering over the side onto the wing. Would there be similar issues on an RV-8?

My opinion is that it would be best to get rid of the canopy, if you can.
I will be doing full kit drills, wearing everything to establish clearances and feel, then a lot of mental rehearsals, prior to flight. It seems obvious, but remember that while getting out you will have significant wind forces to cope with. Getting out of anything except a balloon or a tailramp aircraft will familiarize you with some of the forces involved, so they won't be as surprising.

When you get your parachute repacked by a licenced rigger, wear and deploy the chute yourself, while the rigger watches. They will be looking at pilot chute spring launch etc., and you will be getting a feel for angle and force required.

And thats why

the_other_dougreeves said:
Since we're talking about parachuting, here's a classic clip celebrating the (tragically short) life of a guy simply known as Slim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqLDEyzrdfM

It's worth it just to see them jumping into the Cave of the Swallows.

TODR

(Note: there are a few "expletive deleted"s at the 2:35 mark)

I never base jumped...I had 4 reserve rides in my skydiving career and Base Jumps are almost always single canopy jumps...way too risky for me.

Would have been fun though...:)

Frank 7a

Vietnam Experience

When I was serving with the USAF in Thailand in 1972, I was working graveyard, and had the opportunity to witness a ground eject from an F4 Phantom. The canopy had blown off on takeoff, so the crew took it around the pattern and brought the bird right back in. Unfortunately, it landed inches short, catching the main gear on the runway approach end, blowing both tires. There were sparks everywhere and the crew was not inclined to sit on a fully fueled plane, with full armament still aboard, and sparklers trying to light it all. So, they ejected almost immediately.

I know the jolt was not pleasant for them, but the sight at night, was absolutely beautiful to an observer. I knew I was watching something special!

Both the pilot and GIB were perfectly fine, except for some soreness. However, the plane went nearly the full length of the runway before it stopped, managing to stay on the runway the entire way. As it slowed to a stop, all **** broke loose, as the fuel and armament decided to get into the fray. Pieces of the plane were found over a mile away from the explosion. Again, it was hard to remember the danger that was involved, as the beauty of such fireworks in the Thai night was mesmerizing!

I have no idea what this has to do with building an RV, but Kevin's story brought back this very vivid memory for me.