Rick of Austin

Well Known Member
Here is a pic of a -9 panel that has a nice stack of Garmin avionics that are in front of the passenger.
Do you guys think the offset from the pilot is too much?
I havent had the opportunity to try it on for size, am hoping some of you guys with similar layouts could advise.
if it was yours would you reaarrange the layout?
Thanks Greatly,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55171878@N05/5367532982/

Last edited:
Center is my vote.

Partner and I had a -6a we bought with the radios in about that same place. This caused me to put mine in the center while building my own -6a. Much easier to use that way for both pilots.

YMMV

Not at all.

The RV panels are small enough that putting the radios to the right of center is not an issue.

Here is a picture of my panel (click to enlarge) and in 250 hours I've never once wished the radios were centered.

BTW, the panel blank I used is from Affordable Panels, well worth the money, IMHO!

Last edited:
The way these are installed is the standard. I've been flying my -6 for almost 18 years with that configuration and it's never been a problem. Moving the stack to the exact middle will create an interference problem with the canopy jettison.

Check the Installation Manual

for the 430 under the section "2.5.1 Determination of Acceptable Field of View" it looks like the left edge needs to be within 11.8" to the right of the
stick? It does seem to be a little far afield for easy viewing and knob turning.
Bob

ok

You can easily reach anything on the panel. It's not a Cadillac dash board. You just won't win ergnomic awards for that particular panel.

The 400-series Garmin is outside its acceptable viewing field. Dimensions notwithstanding, if the left edge of the radio is on the center of the panel, the screen is on the verge of going weird. I did a bunch of experimentation before my latest panel using a 430W, and I can tell you the installation you're looking at definitely has the 4XX too far right.

John Siebold

Thanks Gentlemen

The input is very helpful and appreciated. If it was a slider I would'nt touch it, as a tip up with full aaccess maybe it needs reconfiguring.
Again thanks for the input.
Rick

Like others have said, this isn't a 767 cockpit, you can reach and see everything quite well. Regarding the "legal" position of the GNS430, it actually kind of depends on which EFIS you have and how much interfacing/annunciation the said EFIS will have in regards to how it interacts with the 430W.

If that were my panel I'd make a few changes, but it's not bad overall and certainly useable in it's current configuration.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein