cbrown747

I know all the basics that other members have said such as 20 gal min and recommened oil lube for noise, etc. so I found this nearly new compressor from a co-worker and wanted to ask anyone if this would do the job of building an rv.
I would probably build a quick build and would not paint. I probably would not use an air grinder, but might use an air drill.
the specs he gave me are as follows:
central pnematic from harbor freight
29 gal
115psi (although the one I saw on the website was 120psi)
cfm psi
16.4 40
15.7 70
14.5 90
13 115

any opinion would be greatful

The tank may be a little small but it looks like it puts out plenty of air. My guess is that it should be adequate.

I manage with one that puts out a little over half your cfm..

What you will find is that you are not running continuos duty with most of your work. You will do something, stop, check it out, continue, etc. However, with your setup you are in good shape for some continous duty, even painting...

I started out with that same unit I think you are considering from Harbor freight. Mine was the 220v version, so even a bit better. Needless to say it has been replaced with a husky 60 gallon unit. That HF compressor had to run all the time when drilling or using a air saw or angle grinder. It is also direct drive and all sorts of loud.

The compressor check valve finally failed and HF doesn't have a replacement. I made a check valve from home depot bits, but eventually just replaced the unit. It does the job, but is not ideal at all. The new price on that compressor is $119 during most sales. I bought the Huskey unit for around $400 and it was well worth it.

I still have the HF unit taking up space in the garage, if someone wants it, they can have it. it works fine for filling tires, occational use ect.

One more thing to mention about the HF compressor, the kick-on pressure is very low so as the compressor runs down while you are riveting, you constantly have to adjust the regulator on the gun to be consistant.

29 gals is a plenty large tank. Go for it.

+1

I've built my empennage so far on a 10 gallon tank, the compressor just kicks on more often.

That said I'm looking at the 26 Gal Husky at Lowes that was discussed here on another thread.

Your build style (and patience) are yours alone. I would expect that unit to do well, but if it doesn't, you can replace it very quickly. No need to spend the money if you really don't need it. I used a smaller unit than that and rarely needed to wait on air, although I didn't do my own painting. I did prime parts with it and admit I had to wait a few times. Those few minutes were not worth $400!

Bob

Interesting that one of you said there are sales on this air compressor for $119. The one I saw on harbor freight was nearly $400. I think you must be thinking of a different compressor.
Anyway I am not sure what would be a good price since he said he bought it just last summer. I guess I will see what he wants out of it.
Thanks for all the replies

Interesting that one of you said there are sales on this air compressor for $119. The one I saw on harbor freight was nearly $400. I think you must be thinking of a different compressor.
Anyway I am not sure what would be a good price since he said he bought it just last summer. I guess I will see what he wants out of it.

This is why I asked what make and model it is. If you can tell us that, we can probably give some better advise.

The specs match the same models I have, so I made that assupmtion. Post a link to the model you are considering on the HF site, that may tell a different story. If it is a belt-drive model, you are much better off.

If it's belt driven it should be fine. You can always add a second tank if you need more capacity, but that is highly unlikely.

FWIW I got a 33 gallon Craftsmen oil free type from Sears for around $200. (last years model) It's surprisingly quiet. Plenty big.

will have to check the model. I only got the name, cental pnematic 29 gal, 4hp, 120psi. I only saw one compressor that matched that description.

FWIW I picked up a 60gallon Husky at Homedepot for $200. Granted I got lucky and it was refurbished however it doesnt hurt to look around, you may get lucky as well.
-david