jcedvm

I'm New Here
Thanks to all who have responded to my previous thread. Such a warm welcome is very refreshing.

My empennage kit is due here on the 7th! Very excited.

My question this time around is; would it be ok or unwise to begin assembly in my garage? I do have a hangar but I have so many more tools, air compressor, bench grinder, etc in my garage and nothing in my hangar. Because I've never assembled a kit I have no idea if transporting a partial plane to the hangar at a later date is easily doable or not.

If it is unwise I will simply start in the hangar. Just thought I'd get everyone's two cents!

Thanks all! And thank you for such a wonderful forum!

I have started in my garage.

I have 3 bays - 1 open for the construction. another to open soon as my friend picks up the project car I have sold him.

It'd be nice to be in a hangar, but that would significantly reduce amount of time i can spend on the build.

I'm planning on delaying the transport as much as possible. At least through wing construction. Two bays should be enough for that.

Edit: I'm at the start of my build, so multiply importance of my opinion by .02 :)

Multiple posts in here of guys taking their planes from their garages to the airport on trailers, when far enough along.:eek: You'll get it done a lot faster if you can work at home vs running to the airport every time.

6 years in the garage 6 months at the hangar...

Many people build all the major components in the garage and take it to the hangar for final assembly. I spent 6 years in the garage and then the final 6 months at the hangar. In the garage: empennage, wings, fuselage, engine, instrument panel, etc.

Michael-

Im building everything in my garage because I cant afford a hanger, and I can build anytime i get a chance. Its a little tight but motivation over comes slight discomfort.

Garage is the place

Unless you live in a air park with a hangar on your property, do as much as you possibly can in the garage before going to the airport. I brought mine back from my hangar because I realized you can get so much more completed at home.
Even though it's a short trip to my hangar,having my project in the garage allows me to work longer, check out little items when I see info on this forum and the most important thing, keeping the wife happy. It's amazing how well things go when she's happy.:D

Certainly work at home if you can. My 7 is in Lee Logan's hangar at 3
J1, and even being a mile away, its tough to break away and go work on it. But---going to work on that issue.
You can do alot of sub assemblies that make the process easier, in a small area.
Tom

Have to agree 100% with the comments above. There are times where I have a free 30 minute window here and there and can just go downstairs to work on the plane. If I had to drive somewhere, a lot less would get done.

I will keep the build going at home in my garage for as long as I possibly can.

Definitely, without a doubt, stay in the garage until you're ready to move to the hangar for final assembly.

I Plan to have everything done at home, even did the first engine start in driveway.

No problem

I'm building as long as possible in the garage. I even had the wings on several times.
Hangar is 45 minutes away.
There's one builder on here building in a storage container.

Garage

Started in the basement with outside access. Finished fuselage in garage. Final assembly at hangar.

Jim Diehl
7A-71976
Lock Haven, Pa

I agree stay in the garage. I have to travel 45 minutes to my hangar to get any work done. The only advantage of being at the hangar is that when I have a question or need a skilled hand there is usually someone around to help. I am fortunate our airport is very active with home builts and and home builders!

Since my garage has no windows, I bought a $100 walk-in garage door to replace the existing one. I cut a hole in it, added some bracing, and installed a window air conditioner to keep the garage comfortable during the summer. +1 for planning on staying at home as long as possible. Besides, the waiting list for a hangar here has me at #18, sigh.

It show is hot.

I cut a hole in it, added some bracing, and installed a window air conditioner to keep the garage comfortable during the summer. .

I'm with you there. Since moving my project to North Carolina I got a whole new definition of "HOT".:eek: I'm in the process of installing a mini split heat pump in my garage so I can continue my build in comfort. :D:D:D:D

Garage and basement

As I started in the winter with an unheated garage. I did all the "dirty" work (cutting, drilling) in the garage but did the assembly/riveting in my finished basement. I had a nice couch to sit at too in front of the tv. Comes in handy for when you have to debur all those holes. (use a drop sheet on the carpet):p

Once I had permanent heat put in, then I moved completely to the garage and plan to be there for a few years