Sig600

Well Known Member
Well after a good year of progress on the -7, which has been under construction since 2001, I got the call that I'm headed back to Afghanistan for another year. For a third time. Boots on ground this go, looks like I'll be out of the cockpit for a year. At least it's not Iraq this go!

So here the RV sits again for at least another year, untouched. It's quickly becoming the worlds slowest quick build!

I'm venting my frustration by posting a few pictures of the current state of the project.:mad: Anyone want to buy it? :D

2w4xm5l.jpg

ic8cog.jpg

If money is not an issue preserve the kit as it is. Excellent craftsmanship. It will be perfect therapy after your return. Couple three years is nothing when looking at big picture...

Where are you going to be at in Afghanistan? Maybe we can talk rv while were over there. Mines in pretty much the same place as yours and I'm leaving in a week for bagram

-david

Well after a good year of progress on the -7, which has been under construction since 2001, I got the call that I'm headed back to Afghanistan for another year. For a third time. Boots on ground this go, looks like I'll be out of the cockpit for a year. At least it's not Iraq this go!

So here the RV sits again for at least another year, untouched. It's quickly becoming the worlds slowest quick build!

I'm venting my frustration by posting a few pictures of the current state of the project.:mad: Anyone want to buy it? :D

2w4xm5l.jpg

ic8cog.jpg

Don't measure YOU'RE progress with someone elses yard stick. You are closer than you have ever been. Life gets in the way.

Come home safe.

Semper Fly

Hang in there

I am also closing up the build process for another deployment. Leaving in about two weeks. It will be here when I get back. And I will have a lot of time to design the electrical system while I'm gone.

It's up to you, but you've gotten a lot accomplished. You may regret selling it more than the frustration of the slow build time.

Sig,
What part of the country are you in?

Dennis

"Semper Fly"
LOL, Shamelessly stolen from an above post... ;-)

First, Thank You for your service!
Second, don't worry about how long it may take to finish this project. I have an RV-6 that I started in January 1997 that still has not flown. It's even been at the airport since early this year, ready to be inspected, and that's not done yet. Life does get in the way-one year I only put about 2 or 3 hours on the project, but it will fly when the time is right. Hang in there!

Thanks for your service Sig. If you live in Oregon I would be glad to come over and help you. Least I could do for you! I'am building a 9A. Just put my panel in today. I thought maybe a few hours. YEA RIGHT! Took me 3hours just to cleco the forward top skin on!!!! So I feel for you.. I think our RV commumnity should just come over to your place for a couple of week-ends and get you flying OK maybe not flying but well on your way. Let us know when you are back. Thanks for keeping America safe and FREE! my hats off to YOU MY FRIEND!!

Ron in Oregon

Can't control everything, but aways be in charge on how you view everything..

Sig,
I try to view everything in my life as a opportunity and a chance to explore. You never know what might show up once you get deployed. Maybe you can start an RV or kit builder association/club over there. There has to be other builders serving. Get together with them, have a few beers and tell a few stretched truths. I spent yesterday at the field. Worked on the plane for 30 minutes, bs'd for 5 hours.

I would not suggest getting rid of the plane. From what I can see you have done some great work. If you have a place to keep it, put it on hold until you get back.

Are there any folks in the area where the plane is located? DO you know anyone you would trust doing some of the work? I know about 5 or 6 guys just in my chapter.

Before you know it, that year will "fly" by. Keep busy and take this opportunity to design your panel, come up with a paint scheme and save a few bucks because once you start rolling down that runway in the plane you built you will not regret it and, anyways how many people do you know can fly and build their own plane. Makes for great conversation and impresses the ladies :0)

Finally, thank you for your service and may God put a hedge of protection around you while in Afghanistan. Get get back here safely and get that plane in the air!!!

v/r

Avee8tor13

Thanks!

Thanks for helping U.S. stay safe.

Your project looks beautiful, keep it if you at all can.

Don't be in a rush, you will need it for garage therapy and someday you will be FLYING IT. A dream will come true.

I have been working on a super slow build for 13+ years and am getting close.
You are at the same stage as I am with the fuselage.

You can do it!:cool:

Thanks guys.

Went out and pounded a few rivets Friday, going to knock out some more today. Plus Stein boxed up and shipped the G3X setup and it's on the way too.

Maybe another break won't be so bad, need to find a hangar now.

Ironic. My -7 is at just about the exact same stage as yours. I started in 2003 and have had about as many military vacations as you have. I'm a military aviator as well. I figure even if the thing never gets done....at least I'll have something to get me away from the wife and kids for a few hours a week!

So I took down my for sale thread, decided to suck up another delay and press forward. My goal is to get the plane done and ready to accept the finish kit and engine when I get back. Everything will be ordered about 2 months prior to return so that it arrives when I do. Then it's build build build and try to make OSH 2013 (which will be 12 years of construction!).

See you guys there!!!

Thanks for your service!

Where do you live? Maybe some VAF elfs can peform some of the work for you while you are out of town?

As much as I would have liked to have seen you buy my airplane, I'm really happy that you are gonna keep your kit, and press forward. Good on ya!

:cool:

Where do you live? Maybe some VAF elfs can peform some of the work for you while you are out of town?

I've actually had some offers, I wouldn't accept though. For a whole lot of reasons but the biggest being that, "damnit I'm going to finish this thing now." :D

everything on that masterpiece looks flawless. great job!!! think u should finish it when you get back =), it just looks too good so far to not finish... no matter how long it takes. good luck and thank you for your service! :)

Thanks guys.

Trust me it's far from a master piece! It's got it's share of ugly rivets and a dent in the top skin. Plus some other flaws that I know are there!

I feel your pain :( I've just returned from the Sand Box and started to build my RV-7 as "decompression" :) I was also on a ground tour. I had an awesome time and would go back in a heart beat, except now I equally love building this plane.

The tour will be over before you know it. Do you know where you are going yet?

Take care! Stay safe! Keep yer head down!

Chris

PRO PATRIA/PER ARDUA AD ASTRA/SEMPER FI