danielhv

Well Known Member
Im kinda wondering how well I would fit in an RV... Considering a 7A, Im 6'4" 250lbs (yea I know). So my question is, will I fit without bumping my head on the canopy? And will I have enough weight left to carry a passenger? Im hoping ill sweat about 50lbs off once I start building. :D

I'm between 6'4'' and 6'5'', and I just sat in a 7A that a local guy is building. I did not fit without the tip-up canopy hitting my noggin. There was one cushion that was contured opposite the seat pan to make the seat area flat and a cushion on top of that. (Oregon Aero i think...) I would need less seat cushion to fit... But it could be done. Van's recommends only an inch or two at the most of head clearance. They want you as high as possible for the best over-the-nose visibility. Wouldn't take much to get that. Just a thinner cushion. I weigh about 160 lbs wet so I can't give any advice there...

Last edited:
I'm 6'5" and 230. I was 255 when I purchased my flying 7A a year ago. The short answer is that you will fit fine.

I fly most often with my wife (about 150 lbs) and with a couple of friends who are in the 170-180 range. I have a couple of heavier friends to whom I have not offered rides because of the weight and the shoulder-to-shoulder space.

The one accommodation I have made is to change out the seats from the Oregon Aero to a "tall pilot" version I purchased from Classic Aero. I made the change because I wanted more clearance between my head and the canopy. In turbulence I would occassionally have the band of my headphones hit the top of the canopy -- I didn't care for that. If you try a -7A and the canopy is too close to your head I would suggest trying that.

Also tried moving the seat back a couple of inches futher aft. That doesn't work -- it had me sitting uncomfortably erect.

I'm very happy with the -7A. If side-by-side isn't important to you, a -8 will give you more room.

I'm 6'4" and 210 and fit just fine in my 9A (same as 7/7A inside.) Seat thickness is adjustable, so no real problems in giving yourself another inch or two headroom. I did switch to QT Halo headsets which allow me to wear a hat and doesn't have anything over top of the head--more headroom. My canopy has about 3/4" more headroom than most and you might be able to form the rollbar that way--I don't know. I have plenty of shoulder room with "normal" people but am pretty tight with a 300 lb passenger. The plane still performs great, however. BTW, I did lose about 15 lb in the building process!

Bob Kelly

Last edited:
I just sold a 6A to a guy that was 6'5 275#. He has rearanged the seat cushions and peddles, now flies it weekly cross country.

I'm 5-11 (32" inseam) and my 9A slider grazes the side of my head when I open/close the canopy. I use Classic seats without the booster cushion. You may want to test fit a tip-up canopy.

Steve

There are ways to adjust headroom, but I find cabin width to be the real issue. Tall guys splay their knees out to fit in a side by side RV. The guy not flying has to work at holding one leg out of the way of the other's knee as well as clearing the pedals. Arm length is a problem too. I wear a 36 sleeve length. To fly a friend's -6 from the right seat I must grasp the stick more or less from the front, with my wrist bent at a 90 degree angle, because my right elbow is hard against the cabin wall and I can't get it back alongside by torso.

Cabin width for the -7 is listed at 40", divided by 2 is 20". You have around 30" in an RV-8 and it doesn't change with a passenger. As a bonus, your head is centered in the bubble.

Not all 6"4" guys have the same proportions. Some have long legs and short torsos, some have long torsos and short legs. The only way to know whether you will fit is to sit in an aircraft. Then keep in mind that there are specific "tall pilot" mods that can be done to increase head room and/or increase leg room.

Not all 6"4" guys have the same proportions. Some have long legs and short torsos, some have long torsos and short legs. The only way to know whether you will fit is to sit in an aircraft. Then keep in mind that there are specific "tall pilot" mods that can be done to increase head room and/or increase leg room.

Perhaps a spreadsheet including inseam, waist, and sleeve length? Just kidding :) The answer is a "try on." Before I set out on my RV adventure I spent a little time sitting in Van's 8A. The leg/torso issue is important. I am 6'3' and 260lbs, but being long legged, I am very comfortable in my 8. In fact, I adjusted the seat cushion height up slightly to get the right sight line over the cowl.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA