Mugsy

Thinking of a pair of 5.00x5 6 ply Wilkerson retreads for my RV-8. Does anyone know if they will fit inside of the standard Van's wheel pants without modification? Any experience with ware, weight and balance etc?

Thanks for any feedback,

Thinking of a pair of 5.00x5 6 ply Wilkerson retreads for my RV-8. Does anyone know if they will fit inside of the standard Van's wheel pants without modification? Any experience with ware, weight and balance etc?

Thanks for any feedback,

I have used 4 or 5 sets of Wilkerson retreads. Longest lasting tire that I have found at a very good price. I have noticed no out of balance. Never compared the weight with any other tire. IF the wheel pants were installed in accordance with the latest instructions, they will fit inside. It is possible that you may need to do a little trimming around the opening but you may have to do that with any new brand of tire if you fit it too close during the build.

Mugsy, I had put a set on my RV7 many years ago and they were fine as far as performance. As to modifying your wheel pants, they are a little larger and fatter than virgin tires so it all depends on how tight your current wheel pants are on the tire now. Worst case you will need to cut way some of the material around where the tire comes out at the bottom. At least if you chip the paint there no one will ever see it.

Retreads are just a bit fatter

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect that any retread tire is going to be a little fatter due to the nature of the beast. It sounds like the Wilkersons are a pretty decent tire overall.

Desser has some really nice retreads, I did not buy the Monster Retread. Just installed them after getting the wheels back from Alan at Antisplat for the bearing mod. He stated they were some of the best he had ever seen and took basically no truing before final balancing. I did make very small pant adjustments.

I used Wilkerson retreads for decades on my Cessna 180. I eventually switched companies because I got several with bad casings.

Dave

wilkerson retreads for me. It's the only tires I've installed. 227hrs and many more landings, still looking great they'll easily go 600hrs. I wonder about changing the tubes one of these annuals.

Cutting Wheel Pants !

I would NOT cut the wheel pant to fit but would use 80 grit sand paper on a block or a file to remove the material to widen the opening . A Dremal Rotary Drum sander would work also . If you trim with snips / shears it will crush the paint edge. 2 cents worth !