Kato's 8

Well Known Member
I know that very few folks on this site have wired up their planes using Vans standard wire harness and switch breakers. But I am and Im wondering how to add a switch and flasher module to this set up. As it is now, A wire for taxi lt hooks directly to 10amp switch breaker in console and the taxi does the same with its switch breaker. I want to add a switch without the breaker and tie in. I see the example from B&C that I like and will attempt to load the pic. Until then, does anyone have an input as to how to wire this? B&C has a Double pole dash 3 config switch (on-on) wired to two single pole-3 switches. Is that the same basicly as theses vans switch breakers? Also, Can I wire the flasher unit to one of the light switch breakers eg the taxi light?
Any easy examples would be appreciated. I want to keep it simple.
I will post the pic in a minute hopefuly.
Thanks!

I just wired my wig-wag on my -10 today. I used the wig-wag flasher and the S700 2-3 wig-wag switch supplied by B&C. http://www.bandc.biz/solidstatewig-wagflasher.aspx and http://www.bandc.biz/toggleswitch-doublepole.aspx I used a DPST switch from SteinAir for the landing/taxi lights. http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=583 I did not use the Van's wiring kit electing the simplicity of toggle switches and blade fuses. The flasher comes with wiring directions or you can download them from B&C web site. Tested it out and really like it.

Last edited:
A6AE6DCB-486D-4F88-87AF-42C61A1C33CB-9846-0000067163A1867F.jpg

Thanks David.
I see that you ordered the switch from stein. That switch is an on-off type and the B&C one says On-On. Does it matter or did you wire them different?
I downloaded some wirerams from them and the one I want to use I have pic of but cant seem to get on here to show. Basicly I want to sub the two switches called out as S7001-3 with the two Vans suplied switch breakers and dont know if that would be a problem or not. Secondly, where do I wire the power lead of flasher in that set up?

I used the switch from Stein to control both wingtip landing lights.. It just replaces the two switch's for the landing light and taxi light shown in the diagram to one switch. Then wired to the B&C switch and B&C wig-wag flasher as per the wiring diagram from B&C. You will need to have a separate switch for the LL/TL, otherwise it won't work right. Wired per the diagram, if the LL/or taxi light is switched on, you have steady light. Flip the Wig-Wag switch on with the LL/TL switch "ON", they will wig-wag. LL/TL switch in "Off" position, you can just flip the WW switch "ON" and the lights will still wig-Wag. I pig-tailed the flasher #3 terminal power to one of the LL leads at the fused power buss.

Last edited:
Thanks for the expaination David. I can somewhat see it now. What Ill probably do is buy the flasher and switch and then do a temp wire up without mounting and check to see if it works or not. You did answer another question I had and that was what hapens if the light switches were on as well as the wig wag in this set up. The way it looked to me was they had to be off and then use the wig wag and I didnt like that much. I guess this set up allows you to flip wag wag only while flying with light off such as during the day, But also allows for night operation with lights on then flipping the wig wag for increased vis on approach. Thats something I hadnt thought about.

Last edited:
I guess this set up allows you to flip wag wag only while flying with light off such as during the day, But also allows for night operation with lights on then flipping the wig wag for increased vis on approach. Thats something I hadnt thought about.

That's what it does Bill and I like that better than the Pulse Light system on my Cessna which requires the LL switch "ON" to work. The 6 connector Fast On tabs on the B&C switch are not labeled but you can figure it out pretty easily with a multi-meter if your an electrical novice like myself.