cccjbr6

Well Known Member
We bought AntiSplat's engine heater and are looking for a wifi switch to operate it remotely. We can connect to a wifi in a nearby hangar but the signal strength is weak when our hangar doors are closed, so we need an external antenna that we can mount outside and run to the switch.

Can anyone recommend a switch that can accept an external antenna, and an antenna to go with it?

SwitcheOn

I’ve owned both. SwitcheOn is by far, the better product. Setup is easier, better user interface.
From SwitcheOn website:
Will it work in my hangar, barn or warehouse?
Most likely, yes. The vast majority of SwitcheOns are installed in metal buildings and work perfectly right out of the box. About 2% of users require larger antennas. If you have signal issues, contact us and we’ll help you chose a correct antenna.

Last edited:
Switcheon for sure. I can't think of anything negative to say about the product. It works, reliably, and exactly as they say. No text messages, no sim cards, and excellent support.

I blew mine up the other day by accidentally plugging my electric snowblower into it (heavy wet snow, drew too much current. Without thinking, I had unplugged the airplane heater extension cord from thje plane and plugged in the snowblower). Switcheon fixes them for free...and very promptly.

$$$

Another option that may save some money:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KGG8Y16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used these units with success. You have to find a cell phone sim card from your favorite carrier. If you shop you can get that down to 4$ or $5 a month, even less/yr if you use it seasonally.

Both Phone in and Text Message operability. Don't shy away from Text message ability. If you want to run something on a timer that you normally just turn on or off the text messaging is really helpful.

Downside of these units is that you have to read the instructions in difficult English, and online support is weak.

Last edited:
We bought AntiSplat's engine heater and are looking for a wifi switch to operate it remotely. We can connect to a wifi in a nearby hangar but the signal strength is weak when our hangar doors are closed, so we need an external antenna that we can mount outside and run to the switch.

Can anyone recommend a switch that can accept an external antenna, and an antenna to go with it?

There are a lot of WIFI extender you can buy from Amazon. The antennas are mostly connected through SMA connector, so you can buy additional antenna with extension cable if the antenna has to be outside.

Recommend a WiFi extender, then any cheap WiF switch. That way you have good WiFi in the hangar for your iPad and such as a bonus.

WiFi extenders are available on Amazon for less than $50. Cheap WiFi switches are two for ~$12.

I use a TP-Link WiFi router as a hub to connect to the house WiFi (perhaps 200’ away). That way I get WiFi in the hangar as well as an Ethernet plug in if needed.

Carl

Last edited: