Moondog

Well Known Member
My wife went from ?35% on board with this project? to ?probably 60%? after this weekend. She and I attended a Vans builders drive/fly-in on Saturday hosted by Paul and Louise at their home in Friendswood, Texas. Catherine had only reluctantly signed off when I bought a QB project from another builder last month, but her attitude changed Saturday afternoon.

Catherine and I spent time with Marshall and Will and others who talked about the building experience and the satisfaction I would gain after mastering skills. Paul suggested that we not think of this as building an aircraft, an almost unreasonable goal, but rather as building aircraft parts, a step-by-step approach providing satisfaction with each phase of completion. Louise spent a lot of time with Catherine, talked about the joy of flying your own aircraft, and (before the weather moved in) generously offered to take her for a ride, but Catherine asked for a rain check due to time constraints.

2lllxdg.jpg

When we left, Catherine told me she had a good time and was ?probably 60% on board now?. I asked her, besides enjoying the company of the group, what changed her mind. She said she was impressed that despite the wealth of knowledge of the group there was a total absence of egos. No cowboys, just a lot of qualified people willing and able to help.

It?s still my project, but Catherine now has a little different perspective. Thanks to Paul and Louise for hosting and to everyone for your support.

David

Louise spent a lot of time with Catherine, talked about the joy of flying your own aircraft, and (before the weather moved in) generously offered to take her for a ride, but Catherine asked for a rain check due to time constraints.

Do not let this golden opportunity slip away.

We were glad to have you and everyone else there David, and glad that we could give Catherine a good perspective on what the both of you are getting in to. Yes, it's about the airplanes, - but it is also almost a way of life. And we have some pretty good people involved!

Stop by anytime for that rain check - and we'll drop in on you at the hangar in Galveston sometime soon.

Paul

Great news David. Paul and Louise's gathering was a great opportunity. I wish my wife could have been there to talk to her too, but we were expecting a kiddo any second and she wasn't up for getting out of the house.

I've always said the best tool for completing an airplane is a supportive wife.
The second best tool is no wife.
The worst tool is an unsupportive wife.

Fortunatly I got a supportive one. :) I will get her to the next event and let the girls chat.

Phil

Paul and Louise helped me out a lot too in getting my wife exited for the build. Louise took her up for a ride, and it played a HUGE part in getting her wholly on board. My wife was a little reluctant too to fly, but once she did it, she LOVED it! That will get her from 60% on board up to being a co-builder with you! Good luck!

Paul and Louise,

You two need to get my friend John's wife in this mix. Maybe it will change his wife's tune and he can start pounding rivets.

Besides, he is good at riveting and helped me out prior to moving back home to Houston.

Send them by.
I know John has spoken to Paul once or twice but I don't think they have met. I'll touch base with him tomorrow and see what he has to say.

Apprently he is flying to OSH with a gaggle of RV's from your 'hood. If it works out, we may head west and meet up with them.

I know John has spoken to Paul once or twice but I don't think they have met. I'll touch base with him tomorrow and see what he has to say.

Apprently he is flying to OSH with a gaggle of RV's from your 'hood. If it works out, we may head west and meet up with them.

We have many RVs standing by for the right sales pitch opportunity with John's wife. We keep thinking the stories of the weekend trips to NOLA, Fredericksberg, Port Aransas, Big Bend, etc. would help with the sale. But no luck so far.

Planning on 8-9 planes in the flight to Oshkosh. John backseat with me. Look forward to visiting if you can make it.

Glad to hear you've made good progress, David! Nothing like having an RV travel-friendly wife!!!!

Bryan

Last edited:
Good luck on that sale Bryan! I've known her for a long time, even had up in my old T'Craft, which she enjoyed, but no luck.

I told John to let me know what your route and timing are going to be as I may head west and hook up with you.

Hi Davaid,
It was a pleasure meeting you and Catherine. If you'd like to swing by someday on your way home from the office, please give me a call! We're right there in Clear Lake, and would be happy to have you both drop by for a visit and to check out the project.