tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am considering using the large GRT Sport version with the 8.4 screen. I am not sure that it will fit in my panel because of the width of the radio stack which must overlap it.

It looks like I may have no choice but to go with the 6.5 screen.

Has anyone used an 8.4 inch EFIS in an 8 panel? How did you get the radio stack to fit next to it?

Any thoughts or feedback from those using the 8.4 screen would be helpful. Is it worth the hassle to go with the larger screen?

wide efis

There are no worries with the GRT 8.4. Just center it and you will have all the room you need for a standard size radio stack (left or right) of the EFIS.
Gosh,
I'm probably gonna stick a 10" Skyview in my 8 (slightly off center) and it will be fine for enough room.
You are good to go!
Here is a 10" Skyview layout with room. They are just colored cutouts.

vgrfog.jpg

Last edited:
thanks

DJR,

Thanks for the input and the pic. My concern was not so much from the front of the panel, but the back where the mounting hardware goes, like the flanges that the radio racks attach to.

Have you sorted that out on your panel yet?

Last edited:
It should fit.

I have an AFS 4500 (8.4" screen) in my panel with a normal radio stack to the right and a 696 to the left. Everything fits, though there's not a lot of left over space.

Here's another picture of the big Skyview in a RV-8 panel. I think Stein sent me this but I may have found it elsewhere.

1231741136_Xto5m-M.jpg

Here's some GRTs but I am not sure if they are the 8.4s or not.

1231748357_2o7Hq-M.jpg

And one more.

1231756658_U7AM4-M.jpg

I apologize for not having the names of the people who did these panels.

And a Advanced one for good measure

1231741516_mNuNf-M.jpg

No worries....8.4 GRT sport, standard width radio stack, 696 in a mount tray:

216bde.jpg

2w7haj8.jpg

104hq4p.jpg

Have you thought about one of the small round radios instead of a stacker unit?

It might be easier to fit....

Dave

width of supports

Thanks for all the input. I am glad to know that it is possible to use the 8.4 EFIS.

I am still a bit confused as I try to get my head around this panel building thing. One reason for that confusion is that I am thinking that the angle on the side of the radio stack to which the trays attach, is 1/2 in. With one angle on each side of the stack that increases the width of the radio stack by an inch on the back of the panel. That stack intrudes into the area where the EFIS goes.

What am I missing?

Thanks for all the input. I am glad to know that it is possible to use the 8.4 EFIS.

I am still a bit confused as I try to get my head around this panel building thing. One reason for that confusion is that I am thinking that the angle on the side of the radio stack to which the trays attach, is 1/2 in. With one angle on each side of the stack that increases the width of the radio stack by an inch on the back of the panel. That stack intrudes into the area where the EFIS goes.

What am I missing?

It's tight, but I have the angle on the radio rack doing double duty as the mount for the EFIS. In other words, the EFIS screws go through the panel, through the angle, and into nutplates on the angle. With the displays removed, the angle is only secured with a single #6 screw. This screw is hidden under the bezel of the EFIS when installed.

k4az69.jpg

214s5qp.jpg

I've built two RV8 panels with big AFS screens and Garmin 430's. Yes it does fit if you're careful.

The biggest challenge is with the depth of the Garmin radios, but with careful placement it will work...you just have to position the racks to clear the x-brace behind the panel (and use 90 degree adapters for some of the antenna connections).

You can gain a little width by notching the side panels and the rack support.

This is with a AFS 3500.

Panel:

IMG_0485.JPG

Side panel notches:

IMG_0010.JPG

Notched rack support:

_DSC0399_1552.JPG

Hope this helps,

Chris

Garmin stack is was place as far left as possible. I notched out the left sub panel to get another 3/8 " left. The dynon 10" skyview is as far left as I could get but you can tell it is a bit off center. I tried to get every thing needing adjustment in flight on left side. Simple design for a complex panel.
panel013.JPG