CFI1513840

Well Known Member
I know I?m preaching to the choir, but here goes?

There are lots of reasons, but being able to do your own maintenance (for the non-A&P?s) has to be a big one. I recently decided to sell our Cessna 150, not because the RV-7 will fly anytime soon, but my wife and I thought it would be nice to have something a little bigger and maybe even a little faster while I?m building the RV (with her help of course). We found a quarter-share in a Cherokee 160, and put the 150 up for sale. A buyer came along and we negotiated a full price offer if I would spring for an annual. The estimate was $650. That seemed okay, and knowing the 150 was in good shape (or so I thought), and being a sucker for punishment, I agreed. Five weeks and five thousand dollars later the 150 was ready for its new owner. He got a good deal and I got yet another reminder of why I am spending hours in the basement building this RV-7.

I agree to a point

My total initial justification for building our RV-6A was being able to maintain it myself and control cost to allow me to continue flying in retirement. In fact I could have paid the cost of maintenance of our 1981 Piper Archer II for the rest of my life for what I put into the RV-6A. So cost savings though maintenance are a weak justification. The knowledge and experience gained in the building process are priceless - that is number one. Number two is the quality of maintenance - no one can lavish the tender loving care on the airplane that you will. I used to get absolutely livid at the slipshod critical maintenance that my plane sometimes received on one hand and ridiculous unnecessary bill growth tasks that were done on the other - that is now totally under control. Scheduling maintenance is another important gain with a homebuilt - you do it when you want to. If you go the bare bones approach your RV-7 will not have the IFR navigation capability of your C-150 and if you go to the oposite extreme you may end up with some very expensive boat anchor value avionics that are not supported by anyone by the time you finish building the plane. It's a mixed bag of values but if you work hard and do it right everytime you open the hangar door that sleek beauty it will melt your heart.

Bob Axsom

I don't like renting. I don't like renting slow airplanes, especially when I'm paying by the hour. I also know that if I build this airplane and fly it from new, it's the same as a new car: All the hours on it will be put on by me, so I'll know exactly what's happened to it and what hasn't. This experience in a new Piper will cost a lot more than it will with even the most tricked out RV.

Plus, I'm an engine nerd. I like the idea of maintaining/modifying my own powerplant. You don't get to do much past changing the oil in a certificated ship.

Another path

CFI1513840 said:
I know I?m preaching to the choir, but here goes?

There are lots of reasons, but being able to do your own maintenance (for the non-A&P?s) has to be a big one. I recently decided to sell our Cessna 150, not because the RV-7 will fly anytime soon, but my wife and I thought it would be nice to have something a little bigger and maybe even a little faster while I?m building the RV (with her help of course). We found a quarter-share in a Cherokee 160, and put the 150 up for sale. A buyer came along and we negotiated a full price offer if I would spring for an annual. The estimate was $650. That seemed okay, and knowing the 150 was in good shape (or so I thought), and being a sucker for punishment, I agreed. Five weeks and five thousand dollars later the 150 was ready for its new owner. He got a good deal and I got yet another reminder of why I am spending hours in the basement building this RV-7.

I took a different approach. Research indicated that I would have quite a bit of latitude in what maintenance I could perform on a purchased, already-built RV-6 without having the Repairman's Cert., and my local A&P is a big Van's fan and will do the stuff I'm simply not comfortable with, along with the annual condition inspection that I can't do myself. I actually welcome that 2nd set of eyes, though, so I don't consider that a huge detriment.

Realizing that I was missing out on the tremendous educational experience of building, however, I decided to attend the A&P program at the local community college. It will take 1,900 hours of instruction to get the A&P, (very) roughly what it would have taken to build an RV. When I'm done, I will not only be able to sign off my own condition inspection, but anyone else's as well (but not store bought planes, that requires IA in addition to A&P).

All that said, I still have the desire to build. While I'll net out to having the same self maintenance capability, I won't have the satisfaction of having created my own flying machine. Someday, maybe...

Dgamble said:
...I decided to attend the A&P program at the local community college. It will take 1,900 hours of instruction to get the A&P, (very) roughly what it would have taken to build an RV. When I'm done, I will not only be able to sign off my own condition inspection, but anyone else's as well (but not store bought planes, that requires IA in addition to A&P).

Congratulations! I just finished the "P" portion of A&P school (11 years in the Marine Corps on helicopters took care of the "A" portion) in November, and will be testing soon.

Small note - as an A&P, you'll be able to perform and sign-off 100hr inspections on certificated spam-cans. It's the same inspection as an annual - the checklists are exactly the same. Yet another example of the Feds being silly...

A&P Training

Dgamble said:
...I decided to attend the A&P program at the local community college. It will take 1,900 hours of instruction to get the A&P, (very) roughly what it would have taken to build an RV. When I'm done, I will not only be able to sign off my own condition inspection, but anyone else's as well (but not store bought planes, that requires IA in addition to A&P).

Good luck on your endeavor. This was also my plan a couple of years ago until the Frederick MD Community College dropped the A&P course. Apparently, the college administrators didn't put enough emphasis on the aviation program and the enrollment dwindled to less than 10 people. It's a shame, because the nearest training facility (Manassas VA) is now out of reach for people living in this area. It's also interesting to consider this in view of the fact that FDK is home of the AOPA.