Camillo

Well Known Member
I'm completing the installation of brake lines along gear legs and was wondering why Van's tells us to secure it along its travel with electrical tape instead of tie wrap, for instance. I believe that the latter would grant a better grip...

I'm completing the installation of brake lines along gear legs and was wondering why Van's tells us to secure it along its travel with electrical tape instead of tie wrap, for instance. I believe that the latter would grant a better grip...

Electrical tape won't chafe the aluminum brake lines and cause holes later on.

You'll see why.....

at condition inspection. The constant flexing of the gear legs will work any fastener to death at this location. I found I had to retape the brake lines after about 200 landings. It was then apparent how much movement there was relative to the 2 parts. This time I used a half strip of Gorilla Tape (super thick duct tape with very sticky adhesive) at 3 locations down the leg.
I am sure there are alternatives that others will tell us about, but for me, I think the solution is Vans recommended tape. I am using Bonaco flex lines down the gearleg.

Regards,
Chris

I am using the fiber reinforced strap tape. So far, so good...
I made some stand-offs out of clear plastic tubing which I split length-wise and put over the aluminum tube. This keeps the aluminum tube from rubbing against the flexing legs.

Taper

The legs are tapered so simple clamps or wraps would tend to slip down evetually. At least the tape sticks - for a while. I also twisted some safety wire over the top of the tape.
Jim Sharkey

Thanks to all.
Ok. I went with tape. We will see how long it will last...

Edit 07 15 2010: I also went with Bonaco gear legs brake lines (still not installed...).

Last edited: