skypoke

I'm New Here
Reading about the amount of effort in building and sealing tanks makes me wonder why they are riveted together and not welded. Is this just not done in the aviation world? We've had lots of sportfishing boats with welded tanks, they take far more pounding and abuse than an aircraft (hopefully) ever takes.

Chuck

Welding aluminum is a real skill (more so than riveting) and takes tools that most builders don't have. Thus riveting w/ proseal is the solution.

The truth is, it is kind of like learning to fly a tail wheel, just a rite of passage. Once you get past it, you will wonder what the big deal was.

And welcome to the forum.

wlding tanks

Many aircraft have welded tanks but they are not part of the structure of the aircraft. On an RV the tank is part of the wing structure I would not trust welded aluminum for part of the wing structure. I know the canopy frame on some models is welded aluminum and that is fine but a suitable welded wing tank would be very heavy. I would bet it would weigh 5 times as much as the current tank design.

Welded tanks

The truth is, it is kind of like learning to fly a tail wheel, just a rite of passage. Once you get past it, you will wonder what the big deal was.

And welcome to the forum.

Ditto what Bill said. I had all sorts of fears going into building the tanks. Many before me talked about how bad building the tanks can be. Now that I've got them done and sealed - what WAS the big deal?!?!? The tanks are not much different than most of the rest of the wing - just gotta add some smelly, gooey stuff to the ribs, ends and baffle. Wear old clothes and gloves - piece-o-cake.

Reading about the amount of effort in building and sealing tanks makes me wonder why they are riveted together and not welded. Is this just not done in the aviation world? We've had lots of sportfishing boats with welded tanks, they take far more pounding and abuse than an aircraft (hopefully) ever takes.

Chuck

2024 Aluminum alloy is NOT weldable.

Some aircraft like the T-18 and Mustang II both have a fuselage mounted welded tank in front of the instrument panel.

Chuck

Chuck,
As others have mentioned, 2024-T3 is not a weldable alloy. You could make your tanks out of 6061-T6, which can be welded. The down side is that all your fuel tank parts would have to be made out of material that was 50% thicker (and therefore heavier) to make up for the lost strength. 2024-T3 has great strength and flexibility, hence it's wide use in aircraft structures. I know of Zenith builders who have considered building a 601 out of 2024 to save weight. (The kit uses 6061 to cut costs).
Charlie Kuss