Flyguytki

Well Known Member
Something that I have always wondered is why are all first flights conducted with no wheel pants on??

A little more drag to work the new engine?

The builder is anxious to get in the air?

Easy access to see how the brakes are doing?

The model you build does not have them available yet?

Last edited:
My first flight had all fairings installed.

Bob Axsom

Mine too - once I was flying, I knew I'd never be able to stand taking the plane down to do a bunch more work on it. I took the extra couple of weeks to finish the pants and fairings before first flight, and was glad I did. The month it went into the pant shop later on was agony! ;)

Something that I have always wondered is why are all first flights conducted with no wheel pants on??

Well, it's in the build manual so I think that's probably why a lot of folks do it this way.

I think it makes sense to me. Fairings are for going fast. If you are breaking in a new engine you will run wide open for the first 10 or so hours.

I also wanted to fly without them to see if my airplane flew *really* straight. If it flies straight without fairings then you *know* that you built a straight airplane. If it flies with the ball off center and you have all of the fairings installed how do you know the problem isn't simply a matter of a crooked gear leg fairing?

Yeah, with or without fairings would work but there is absolutely no advantage to flying the first flight *with* the fairings but there are several (albeit small) advantages to flying without them. Note that flying without the fairings does not necessarily imply that the fairings aren't finished.

Note that flying without the fairings does not necessarily imply that the fairings aren't finished.
Exactly. I had mine finished and ready to go, but left them off for Phase 1 for all of the reasons mentioned. On my first flight with them installed and with a shiny new paint job, I was astounded at the difference in IAS. 12 to 15 knots!:D

Why no Pants for a first flight??

Because you should wear a nomex flight suit instead?

Because it helps you stay cool and dry?

Because you're starring in a really weird reality show? ;)