bgaston

Well Known Member
Ref: RV-9A 949WG
I have my unpainted airplane listed for sale ($72,500). One of the most asked questions is " Why isn't your airplane painted?)
Answers:
1) I haven't decided on a paint scheme
2) Why paint it, I like the way it looks
3) When I sell, the buyer can pick their paint scheme
4) Who am I trying to make happy with the fancy paint job
5) Why add the weight and screw with the control surface balance
6) My airplane has great metal work ( I have been told) I don't feel the need
to hide it with putty & paint.
7) There are more answers, I just got tired of typing.

Last edited:
Because if you would at least paint a checkerboard on the tail, it would go faster! :D

I thought everybody knew that.

Color sells!

1: A nice paint job helps when selling your airplane.
2: Not all paint jobs cover poor workmanship.
3: Most buyers can't visualize a paint job and certainly don't want to have a
newly purchased airplane down for several month and an additional
6 to 10000 Dollars.
4: Just because you like the way it looks does not mean your
potential buyers like it. Most buyer will consider an unpainted airplane
an unfinished airplane, unless it is highly polished.
5: Weight of paint does not enter the mind of most non builder/buyers.

The above answers are just my opinion, but you asked for it.

3: Most buyers can't visualize a paint job and certainly don't want to have a
newly purchased airplane down for several month and an additional
6 to 10000 Dollars.

And thats.... just how it is!

I get a kick out of..........."ready for your own paint scheme". It really means, I never got around to spending all that money, or taking all that time & hard work.........that a paint job takes..

L.Adamson

Some info from someone who was hot and heavy in the market for an RV-4 for a little while, and is still looking, but with less ability ($$$) and motivation at the moment (life changes).

I have specifically not bought an airplane because the paint job was too personalized (read ugly in my opinion). However I have also been very drawn to an airplane with less than desired panel layout based on a great paint scheme.

I would purchase an unpainted RV in a hot half second if it had great workmanship and engine and panel were done smartly. However it would also have to be priced with the 6-10k paint in mind. (I have a polished c-140 now and would not own another polished airplane (unless it was a PT-22, but it would be allowed to patina). Polishing is hard work, and watching it haze through the summer is disappointing since I am a perfectionist. An unpainted, unpolished RV just makes me think the owner does not care about it if they have had it a long time. If it is newly built I would understand and be extremely interested.

Mark

Because I don't want to until test flights/bugs worked out. I also don't have the money saved up yet. I know, just wait til I am spending $1.00/min on flying this baby LOP. It may take a little while to save up.