Torch76

Okay, that's slight hyperbole, but there is a liquid coming out between the rubber and the set of my swivel mushroom set.

55mH8xGtxpumQUOvi_oFKMNF28BXbcfm5Moo028jFgr7TGvH-IddBpJaXvbL4p8wzlYNwKNC8xxQf0nHDp0j7K1nd36o3kg6dthNV1tUXGmRNXVOoLuxMpqkXgFVQX5BqXCDo6qk-Nly9Hq_5nDyPsuj96-gF6055tPS6crnZZ454lkyklAqM4q9NbV6OtLMDh1_HRpFcCJipR_TOG-Jx_ukFgHV6Sa6OiDkPnH6xVxNHm4uN_KltrsVTf2klUsnRvcnPFujyj6J1TU0Olf0sz92YJ2JdxWBmAb1y_jaoh85bS1rSmrz8asTq0NPfQHBsmsmUuira1to-osgrG4hW1eq9ZuQ4Yl0XS3PlhmRsFUh-iEkYdOtMD6XdoA4duIQajr3a7DNaHrCq0A4oxrQR8W3ipPff_8fSrV69vJe7dGAGXKalh8ill1HY-ElGSGbiTVY_F9_9n0xJ0toTz1RlFi0d9OLGGRva_WKbhHVQrPBTUJjjGFhSfIHb3FfUROQ7w4hsVC8b0y15pD5mD_YMJezat9v_UL3OHxYint2QiwT0W9cSip4CeXCI20TgxTmW9qHZ1wo30nA76dzvQMrjSfSrABVa0nx_r7zwaN3JAHNjiI9qb48JjNyzleEO-lP1gTRSn_3W-_tlpoXjhviPNRSIg6NWf3hIfJ7D29Exw=w434-h770-no

I'm just getting started, so my air setup is simple. The rivet gun is connected to a line going straight from the rivet gun to the air compressor. It's also 90 degrees with 55% humidity in my garge. Am I getting liquid out of the tank? (I have an inline filter/regulator on the way in the mail.)

Also, the rivet gun was "misfiring" sporadically today. I'd pull the trigger, hear some air, but nothing would happen. Then it'd "fix" itself. Related? :confused:

Last edited:
Yes, and your inline filter may not help much if you screw it to the compressor. the air needs to cool down so the water will condense out before the filter. I ran copper tubing acroos the garage and mounted the filter to that.

I ran a coil of copper tubing through a 5 gallon pail, and filled the pail with water to cool the tubing. This greatly increased the amount of water that condensed out of the moist air before it hit the filter.

When you look at air line system drawings you will usually find a copper line high in the room with a downslope. At the end of the line is a vertical down to a drain valve. The air supply off that line is at one or many points, and goes straight up from the line then does a U turn to a down pipe to a fitting for your hose. I made mine go around the top of my shop and in this way I don't need a filter or anything for the tool hose. The air is cooled and moisture taken off by the configuration of the piping run and end drain.

The compressor generates hot nearly saturated pressurized air so the tool on a short hose ends up with a lot of water when that hot air expands, cools, and drops the water in the tool. Draining the tank often helps but every time the compressor runs while you run your tool more moisture is packed into that hot air in the tank.

I found this out like you with a die grinder when polishing edges. totally wet. Then put the air line in and never a problem now. I live in S. Louisiana where the humidity is 90 percent most 95 degree summer days.

Use Air Tool Oil

Immediately. Even if you're trapping most moisture before it's reaching the air tool, what's left will likely result in enough corrosion to gut your tool.

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

My compressor is located in an out building about 50' from the shop with the line running underground. After it enters the shop, there is a drain valve at the low point then a filter. Never get any water at the filter but do get some at the drains at low point and a lot at the compressor tank. No noise is another nice befit of a remote compressor.

The hint on the slanted, copper pipe, upward takeoffs, with a downleg catch portion with a drain is really helpful.

I lucked into a 120V refrigerated dryer for my 5HP air compressor. I was reluctant to spend the money but the price was good. It gives REALLY dry air. Air tools work great, minimal oil usage.

One of those "best bang for the buck things," so when I got a large Axial Compressor, I made sure the dryer came with it.

For $100, or less, you could "rig" an equivalent with an old refer, (like what some use to cool a keg). Buy a short coil of copper tubing, place in the refer and plumb the airline in and out. Asthetics are poor, but results would be great.

FWIW

I made mine go around the top of my shop and in this way I don't need a filter or anything for the tool hose. The air is cooled and moisture taken off by the configuration of the piping run and end drain.

Right on.

Thee are several ways to configure the piping. The main line doesn't necessarily need to slope downhill; air movement in the line will carry liquid water to the next drop point. Here you can see the main line running around the shop just below the ceiling. Given enough length the air can cool down to ambient temperature; this is about 60 feet horizontal. Each drop has a 1/4 turn ball valve near the floor to drain collected water. The equipment requiring the driest air is located at drops nearest the end...the bead blast cabinet and the filter/regulator for painting. No water there.