RV8N

Well Known Member
After a high of around $4.00/gallon, I just bought auto gas for around $2.75. So why is Avgas still at its peak of $5.37/gallon at my airport. According to AirNav, none of the airports in my area have come down at all. :mad:

So why is crude and auto gas dropping like a brick and no change in Avgas?

Karl

After a high of around $4.00/gallon, I just bought auto gas for around $2.75. So why is Avgas still at its peak of $5.37/gallon at my airport. According to AirNav, none of the airports in my area have come down at all. :mad:

So why is crude and auto gas dropping like a brick and no change in Avgas?

Karl
Avgas is a relatively low quantity product so it's done in batches. The price will stay high until refineries/suppliers/FBOs sell out the one made when crud oil prices were still up. Size of FBO's tank is probably the biggest factor. Our very small airport has 2000 gal tank and we fill it up usually once every other month - we too can't wait to use it so we can buy cheaper one.

It's all about quantity

I just read in this months issue of AOPA Pilot, that 1 YEAR of 100LL Avgas production equals one DAY of Autogas production in the US. 250 MILLION gallons!

Try mixing 92 octane auto gas & avgas to save money. Right now I'm saving $2.63 a gallon, well worth the effort.

Our FBO dropped the price from $5.30 to $4.50 overnight, when the tank was refueled. This took place about four days ago.

Still seems like I've seen reports of below $4.00, though.???

L.Adamson

Do these mix homogenously? How can that be verified, or does it matter?

Mix away! Been doing it for years....in fact now I run 100% 92 Octane car gas.

fuel_tank.JPG

My 100 gallon transport tanker needs a coat of paint. I've been hauling car gas fuel in it for airplanes for 8 years now. I've pumped about 5,000 gallons though it. Double filter helps keep everything clean. I do have to watch our for water settling out of the fuel from time to time, but there is a "sump" valve on the bottom.

Savings per load? $260.00. That's worth the $500 I spent to build it.

Notice my turtle deck / fastback -3a in the back ground? Ain't she cute!

Last edited:
Our FBO dropped the price from $5.30 to $4.50 overnight, when the tank was refueled. This took place about four days ago.

Still seems like I've seen reports of below $4.00, though.???

Brazoria County (KLBX) has been at $3.78 for a couple weeks now....and the guy there said the next tankload will be cheaper ... Karl, you need to fly back down and fill your tanks!

Last edited:
Amortization....

...is the word. I use around 15,000- 20,000 gallons of either kerosene or Jet A (they're kissin' cousins BTW) annually in the two Air Tractors we spray with. I had to raise my per acre prices to the farmers because of my earlier high costs near $4.50/gal. Even tho' it's now down around $3.00/gal, I still have the more expensive fuel in the ground, so I can't lower my prices yet. I'm considering that when I find the price I'm buying at, not before.

Regards,

Avgas is an interesting commodity that is not a simple supply-demand case study.

Funny, a long time ago 80 was cheaper than car gas.

Brazoria County (KLBX) has been at $3.78 for a couple weeks now....

How very strange, but good for me; LBX has usually been the cheapest gas in the Houston area, but lately my home base at Hooks (DWH), Gill Aviation has been the cheapest. The past few weeks it's been $3.70 for Self Serve, but checked the price this morning and it's down to $3.55... sweet! The price is coming down fairly quickly, indicating they're moving lotsa gas and getting new tanker loads. I'm pretty surprised by the "cheap" fuel here considering it's a Houston Metro area reliever airport with lots of corporate and military traffic. Reliever airports around the Dallas area (Addison, McKinney, Meacham) are still gouging on their prices. Yeaa Gill!

And then there's the SS gas out at Breckenridge, TX (BKD). Airnav posted price is $7.99/gal!! Ouch! At that remote location and that price, and considering Bridgeport is 37 miles away and $3.10/gal... I think that tank load at BKD will be sitting there for awhile.

And then there's the SS gas out at Breckenridge, TX (BKD). Airnav posted price is $7.99/gal!! Ouch! At that remote location and that price, and considering Bridgeport is 37 miles away and $3.10/gal... I think that tank load at BKD will be sitting there for awhile.
If they are smart they can dilute that price with half tank load of new, cheap one...

Our AZ wholesale quote....

Casa Grande was $3.80/gallon and Big Bear was $3.70/gallon. It's coming down slowly......

...for 8500 gallons (a tanker load) just dropped another 30 cents this week.... and a total of 91 cents in the last 4 weeks.

We need to fly more and empty the FBO tanks of the older high $$ fuel so they can buy more at the new lower prices...:)

The lower prices should be showing up everywhere fairly soon.

Hi lucky guys in the US,
Even if you complain, be aware that here in Europe, we pay 2? per liter, meaning about $6 per gallon. We are dreaming when looking at your figures !

Hmm

Planning a trip to Co from Oregon..(Marci's Dad passed away) and mogas is $3 and everything between here and there is $5+...Sure wish I had built my extended range tanks.

Oh well 3 gallon cans in the baggage area will have to do..Cough..:)

Brazoria County (KLBX) has been at $3.78 for a couple weeks now....and the guy there said the next tankload will be cheaper ... Karl, you need to fly back down and fill your tanks!

I probably won't be able to make it down until February or March... and will have to fly commercially. :(

I'll just have to suffer until the local airports get the tanks refilled.

Karl

Long Range

Planning a trip to Co from Oregon..(Marci's Dad passed away) and mogas is $3 and everything between here and there is $5+...Sure wish I had built my extended range tanks.

Oh well 3 gallon cans in the baggage area will have to do..Cough..:)

It has been a long time since I have been anxious to get home and top off! The prices in CA are not as cheap as what you lucky boys (and girls) in TX are paying, but it sure makes it easier to go bore some holes on a clear day!
Luckily for me, I do have LR tanks (28 gal/side) so I will be hunting that cheap fuel.:D

Yeah, yeah. Rub it in, why dontcha?

Buying avgas at lunch - what's the world coming to? Doesn't anybody work anymore?:rolleyes:

I work on the airport and can fly at lunch any time... unfortunately gas is $5.37lgal at SZT.

Karl

$3.97 at Camarillo, CA KCMA today

Yesterday it was $4.37 and today it was $3.97 at the fuel island in Camarillo, CA.
If you are going to Southern Ca or Mexico from Northwest its on the coast.

If you do the conversion from the auto method of octane rating to the aviation method, an aviation engine that needs 91 octane avgas can run on 92 octane auto premium. I've been running a 160hp O-320 on 92 octane mogas for a while, & it's *great* even if the cost is the same as avgas. The engine rarely fouls the plugs (stock mags) and the oil seems to stay cleaner. This is on a 1700 hr engine.

Charlie

Do these mix homogenously? How can that be verified, or does it matter?

I have heard that auto gas has alcohols in it, and you don't want to use it because the alcohol absorbs water in the air which ends up getting into your fuel. Has anyone else heard this?

I have heard that auto gas has alcohols in it, and you don't want to use it because the alcohol absorbs water in the air which ends up getting into your fuel. Has anyone else heard this?

Search the forums for "Mogas", and you'll have HOURS of enjoyable (?) reading on the controversial topic....:rolleyes: