hughfi

Well Known Member
Just curious what I am missing.

Wouldn't it just be a matter of linking in with an efis such as the AFS 3500 to set max RPM or MP setting and then using the speed bug on the AFS 3500 with the TruTrak autopilot to manage it? Surely one could build one with a some fail safes that allow you to disengage the throttle gear (removable via spring clips maybe?) to give you full controll again in an emergency?

No market for it? Maybe thats the reason. Personally I love the idea and could see someone like TruTrak building it and integrating it into their autopilots and EFIS with MIN SPEEDS and MAX SPEEDS etc...?

O.k., so I will stop blathering and let some folks who know the reasons answer?

H.

Because nothing in life is better than manually tweaking 3 different levers until the engine sounds, feels and tastes just right.:rolleyes:

already have....

Just curious what I am missing.

Wouldn't it just be a matter of linking in with an efis such as the AFS 3500 to set max RPM or MP setting and then using the speed bug on the AFS 3500 with the TruTrak autopilot to manage it? Surely one could build one with a some fail safes that allow you to disengage the throttle gear (removable via spring clips maybe?) to give you full controll again in an emergency?

No market for it? Maybe thats the reason. Personally I love the idea and could see someone like TruTrak building it and integrating it into their autopilots and EFIS with MIN SPEEDS and MAX SPEEDS etc...?

O.k., so I will stop blathering and let some folks who know the reasons answer?
H.

.....according to our fearless leader DR it is operated by a meat servo:D

I agree...

...with Milt. Having spent a lot of time flying "automation," I prefer flying the airplane. One of the major joys of an RV is being "at one" with the flying machine. Having said that, the first issue would be the three levers. First you need to make a reliable single lever power management system for the autopilot to interact with. All of this could be accomplished, but is there a market to absorb the R&D costs?

John Clark ATP, CFI
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Why?

I don't see the positive cost-benefit. Get a dual-axis autopilot and you will be looking for things to do.

It Has Been Done

Seen it done. Builder had it linked to buttons on the stick, programmed a chip to set the throttle, mixture and wastegate.

Hans

So your plane now has auto-throttle,full glass cockpit and a fully coupled auto-pilot. Now I ask, why do you want to own a plane?

The future cockpit

The future cockpit will consist of a dog and a pilot.

The pilot's job is to feed the dog

The dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches anything

Pilot is allowed to look out the window.

So your plane now has auto-throttle,full glass cockpit and a fully coupled auto-pilot. Now I ask, why do you want to own a plane?

To be able to cross most of this Great Country in a day without having to remove your shoes, while wearing your Leatherman and drinking from a water bottle you didn't have to buy at the airport....

I just read an article in the Jan 2010 AOPA Pilot about a guy flying a Cirrus. The system was set up to only run at 2700 RPM when he had full throttle. That is too much automation.

Anyone remember the Porsche/Mooney? It had a single lever control. Not exactly an auto-throttle but it did have auto-mixture and auto-prop. Every Porsche/Mooney sold was to a none pilot.
Real pilots want to fiddle with things!

Actually, someone somewhere probably did build an autothrottle for a small airplane.

I'm sure if we re-read all of the accident reports, we'll find him...

:p