Do you mean the AOA in the panel? Love mine in the -6 and wouldn't dream of not having it - it's my primary landing instrument. Gives me consistant landings in all configurations and conditions.

Semi-related....Alex D. demonstrated a deep stall like condition in his -10 during my BFR check. He showed me how to stay in it, which I did for almost 60 seconds. Stick full aft with LOTS of stick force - stable the entire time and dropping like a rock. It was a lot of fun and gave me even more confidence in the model.

Best,
Doug

gasman said:
WHY IS IT THAT THE "10" IS VANS ONLY MODEL WITH A STALL WARNING DEVICE INSTALLED?
RV airplanes are built by individuals and each individual decides whether or not to install a stall warning device. Many RVs built from other the RV-10 kits, have stall warning devices.

Last edited:
The 10 actually has a stall warning tab in the leading edge ala Cessna, and a pizzo buzzer in the cabin. Leading edge skin comes with two locating holes pre punched.

Mike

gasman said:
WHY IS IT THAT THE "10" IS VANS ONLY MODEL WITH A STALL WARNING DEVICE INSTALLED?
I've never flown an RV-9 or -10, but the short wing RVs that I've flown had essentially zero stall warning. There was a very tiny burble about a knot before the stall, but it was so small that you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. There have been a number of fatal RV accidents that may have been due to low altitude stalls.

So, I'm betting that Van has finally recognized the safety benefit of good stall warning.

A.O.A. system

DeltaRomeo said:
Love mine in the -6 and wouldn't dream of not having it - it's my primary landing instrument. Gives me consistant landings in all configurations and conditions.

Best,
Doug

Doug, what brand do you have? I am looking at the lift reserve system.

Warren

Here's my AOA on the dash:

aoa.jpg

It's from http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/ (more info on the specific model at http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Products/AOA/aoa.html

Love that thing. Bigger cockpit shot HERE.

b,
dr

According to Tom Green, Van's gets a lot of the panel stuff donated by manufacturers who want to show off their products. I suspect the AOA was available to them, so they put it in. I have heard Van talking about it and he really likes it. It's the AFS unit.

The RV-10 does not have an AOA unit, it's just a stall warning with a vane mounted in the wing and a piezo buzzer in the cockpit.

jlfernan said:
The RV-10 does not have an AOA unit, it's just a stall warning with a vane mounted in the wing and a piezo buzzer in the cockpit.

Actually, both of the RV-10 prototypes have an Sport model AOA installed.

If you mean what is supplied in the standar kit you are correct, it comes with a vane switch style stall warning sensor.

Yea But...........

rvbuilder2002 said:
Actually, both of the RV-10 prototypes have an Sport model AOA installed. If you mean what is supplied in the standard kit you are correct, it comes with a vane switch style stall warning sensor.
Yes BUT WHY? Why is it standard on the -10 and not the Dash less than ten models.

Van is notorious for being cheap and here he is adding a warning system, a first for any RV. It makes you wounder what the rational was.

Is the -10 aerodynamics such that natural stall warning (buffet) is not as noticeable?

Is the -10 have a more violent stall characteristic?

Is it the -10's stall speed is higher at gross than other RV's?

Is it the -10 has more people capacity and this safety feature was deemed a needed standard item?​

Inquiring minds want to know Scott. :D What was going on in Van's mind.

I flew a demo ride in N220RV with Ken Scott, and we did a stall. It was a mushy non-event, like in a Cessna 172 spam-can. Plenty of buffet in the elevator, and the stick gets a little bit mushy, then a gentle break straight ahead. Almost like a C-172, except for the approx 600 takeoff roll followed by 1500 fpm climb at 120 mph indicated. That part wasn't like any C-172 spam can I've ever flown in!

As for why, you'll have to call Vans and ask.

Is it worth the hassle?

Hello Everyone:

Since someone brought up the subject of the stall warning device, I would like to know from completed -10 builders if they would install it again. I am leaning toward not installing mine since I plan on having an AOA indicator. Just seems like I could put the hours elsewhere.

Any thoughts?

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tailcone
AH-64D Instructor Pilot

RV-10 Stall Warning Device

If I had it to do over again I would not have installed the
stall warning as it is a waste of time and does little to help with
stall warning. If you have it set right on the money and can't tell
that you are way too slow you are a really bad pilot. If you have it
set just a little bit high and fly a no power approach with full flaps
it is going to sound off long before your wheels touch down in a full
flare power off landing which can cause some passengers a little
concern. Set a little low it does nothing until after you have already
started recovery from a full stall.

The RV-10 stall with my IO-540 and MT prop is so predictable and
recognizable in level flight that it is hard for me to understand how
any reasonably competent pilot who has put the RV-10 through full flight
testing would ever need the stall warning device.

In addition, unless you round off the edges of the stall warning blade
you WILL catch your shirt on it and bend it, which then makes it useless
until you test and re-test where it needs to be bent to get it right on
the money. Ask me how I know!!

I have to agree the stall warning flipper is always in the way and I feel it is useless on the 10. I would liked to see some other option like cowl plugs or stick grips. Just a thought.

Sun n Fun bound 4-13-07
3135F

Sure must be a lot of bad pilots

dav1111 said:

By recognizable, I assume you mean the high angle of attack. I haven't flow the 10, but since it has the same wing as the others, I bet it doesn't shudder any more than the others -- which is basically not at all until it's too late.

You would think that the high angle of attack would be hard to ignore but its amazing how fast it becomes normal. Then all it takes is something to draw your attention away at the wrong moment while in the pattern. It happened to me a SWRFI a couple of years ago, while following a Cub. My stall warner probably saved my life that day.

The leading cause of death in an RV is stalling in the pattern, just like with every other GA aircraft. RV's have about twice the accident rate of Cessnas and Pipers. Must be lot of lousy RV pilots.

jonbakerok said:
By recognizable, I assume you mean the high angle of attack. I haven't flow the 10, but since it has the same wing as the others, I bet it doesn't shudder any more than the others -- which is basically not at all until it's too late.
The RV-10 does not have the same wing as the other RV models. You cannot compare them.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

PJSeipel said:
The RV-10 does not have the same wing as the other RV models. You cannot compare them.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

You beat me to it.

The -10 wing is way different, reflex in both the ailerons and flaps, and the c/g is way forward of the max airfoil thickness-----------actually reminds me of a typical airfoil used for radio control flying wings.

As to stall warning, the ten appears to like to drop a wing when slow, full flaps, and turning. Like when you are turning final. One of those things you practice at altitude.

Mike

dav1111 said:
If I had it to do over again I would not have installed the
stall warning as it is a waste of time and does little to help with
stall warning. If you have it set right on the money and can't tell
that you are way too slow you are a really bad pilot. If you have it
set just a little bit high and fly a no power approach with full flaps
it is going to sound off long before your wheels touch down in a full
flare power off landing which can cause some passengers a little
concern. Set a little low it does nothing until after you have already
started recovery from a full stall.

In addition, unless you round off the edges of the stall warning blade
you WILL catch your shirt on it and bend it, which then makes it useless
until you test and re-test where it needs to be bent to get it right on
the money. Ask me how I know!!
Pilots don't come to hardship with regards to stalling in level flight. Usually they stall when their attention is elsewhere in some maneuver other than level flight. For this reason I would NOT suggest that the provided Van's stall warning is a waste of time or recommend that folks NOT install it. Good pilots should recognize the stall in the C-172 also, but Cessna and the FAA see fit to install one of these tabs, for those less than "reasonably competent" pilots.

I wouldn't add it!

I also would not install the stall warning if I were to do it again. Between my Chelton's yelling "stall stall" and the AOA barking "angle, angle, push" I pretty much know that I am about 10 knots away from a full stall.

If you leave it off....

If you are not going to have Vans stall warning system, make sure that you have something as good or better like an AOA.
Randy Debauw (second customer RV10 to fly) didn't hook up the Vans horn, but installed AFS AOA. While going into OSH two years ago as he turned base he saw another plane in close proximity and so tightened his bank. The AOA started squawking :eek: and he realized quickly that he was over doing the bank and corrected. :eek:

The RV planes (including the RV10's) are such a joy to fly and respond so well to banking that it is easy to get use to being aggressive with the stick. This could kill you when you are low and slow. None of us are perfect (even though sometimes we think we are :p ) so stack the deck in your (and your passengers) favor and have something that will tell you when you are going to make a fatal mistake. :eek:

Kent

Add me to the list of builders not installing the vane on a -10. One PITA I can do without. ASI works for me and keeping bank angles under 30 degrees below 500 feet. I thank Van's for thinking about our safety however.

ASI works for me and keeping bank angles under 30 degrees below 500 feet. I thank Van's for thinking about our safety however.
I'm betting quite a few guys who have stalled and spun at low altitude thought this way too. It is very easy to convince ourselves we are better than all those dumb smucks who crashed, but they probably thought they were pretty good too. It is easy to get distracted, and miss something that logically should be obvious (stick force and mushy controls at high AOA, leading to stall, or low voltage light on aircraft with electrically-dependent engine, resulting in engine failure, etc). Don't assume that you will always be perfectly alert. You won't.

If the RV-10 lacks good natural stall warning, then it would be prudent to install some sort of aural artificial stall warning. It should be aural stall warning, as you might not be looking at the light or AOA indicator if you inadvertently stall.

It's amazing how everyone tries to compare the 10 to 172's, or what other spam cans they can think of, but let me assure non RV-10 pilots that you are comparing apples to grapes. Two different planes altogether.
I have flown everything from Cessna 140 to Citation Bravo, and the 10 is in a league of it's own. The most affordable finest flying single engine aircraft on the market. See ya at Sun n Fun. Yes I'm flying my 10 to Lakeland.

75Hrs and still ticking.

I put the stall horn in. It has destroyed three pair of pants and the wings haven't even left the garage yet! I can see myself getting cut many times on the thing but I wouldn't leave it out.

If it flys, it can stall....

MichRV10 said:
It's amazing how everyone tries to compare the 10 to 172's, or what other spam cans they can think of, but let me assure non RV-10 pilots that you are comparing apples to grapes. Two different planes altogether.
I have flown everything from Cessna 140 to Citation Bravo, and the 10 is in a league of it's own. The most affordable finest flying single engine aircraft on the market. See ya at Sun n Fun. Yes I'm flying my 10 to Lakeland.

75Hrs and still ticking.

Yes there are differances, but they can both kill you if you make a mistake. :eek:

Kent

Kevin Horton said:
I'm betting quite a few guys who have stalled and spun at low altitude thought this way too. It is very easy to convince ourselves we are better than all those dumb smucks who crashed, but they probably thought they were pretty good too. It is easy to get distracted, and miss something that logically should be obvious (stick force and mushy controls at high AOA, leading to stall, or low voltage light on aircraft with electrically-dependent engine, resulting in engine failure, etc). Don't assume that you will always be perfectly alert. You won't.

If the RV-10 lacks good natural stall warning, then it would be prudent to install some sort of aural artificial stall warning. It should be aural stall warning, as you might not be looking at the light or AOA indicator if you inadvertently stall.

I'm always locked on the ASI below 500 feet (eyes outside and back to ASI every 2 seconds) and l fly granny patterns at 85-90 knots until I'm on final. Most RV stall accidents have been from yankin' and bankin' down low at low AS or departure stalls with crazy deck angles. You just can't stall at 85 knots with low bank angles in an RV or even with lots of inattention letting it slip to 65 for that matter.

I'd be more worried about buying the farm flying night VFR or over the rocks which is why I don't.

If you think all the warnings in the world will save you from this sort of accident, you might want to read up on the USAF C5 crash last year. 3 pilots, AOA, GPWS and ASI and they still stalled it and crashed. Bad, bad piloting and CRM.

Yes, I could make the same mistake but I've had my scare and it's totally imprinted on me- forever.

Last edited:
Well, if you buy the farm....

rv6ejguy said:
I'm always locked on the ASI below 500 feet and l fly granny patterns at 85-90 knots until I'm on final. Most RV stall accidents have been from yankin' and banking down low at low AS or departure stalls with crazy deck angles. You just can't stall at 85 knots with low bank angles in an RV or even with lots of inattention letting it slip to 65 for that matter.

I'd be more worried about buying the farm flying night VFR or over the rocks which is why I don't.

If you think all the warnings in the world will save you from this sort of accident, you might want to read up on the USAF C5 crash last year. 3 pilots, AOA, GPWS and ASI and they still stalled it and crashed. Bad, bad piloting and CRM.

Yes, I could make the same mistake but I've had my scare and it's totally imprinted on me- forever.

The members of VAF will be sympathetic to your family.

The ASI may not help you out if:
Your at a high alt airport.
Your at high temp.
Your engine is out and your making an off airport landing.
An ultralight appears in front of you on short final.
You have a bird strike on short final.

There are just to many possibilities to list.
Play it safe, have as much help as you can get. Having a stall warning may not save you, but it might.

Kent

kentb said:
...The ASI may not help you out if:
Your at high temp.
You have a bird strike on short final...
During all the listed scenerios, the ASI works entirely normally. The advantage of an aural stall warning during these situations would be just that, that it is aural and will warn you if your attention is diverted.

kentb said:
The members of VAF will be sympathetic to your family.

The ASI may not help you out if:
Your at high temp.
You have a bird strike on short final.

There are just to many possibilities to list.
Play it safe, have as much help as you can get. Having a stall warning may not save you, but it might.

Kent

I'm not quite sure what your point is here? You are aware that that the IAS stall speed is essentially the same at all altitudes right? Not sure about the avoidance things here on short final. AOA or a stall warning won't save you here if you try to do a 45 degree banked turn and pull 3 Gs at 65 knots. My ASI did the job just fine in my actual engine out forced landing a while back. I regularly fly from a 4000MSL airport. I have avoided both birds and aircraft short final as well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, vane type stall warning systems are insensitive to G/ bank angle influences in stall speed. I haven't tried an experiment with this. Maybe someone who has, can tell us?

One wonders how the other 5000 RVs flying have survived all this time.

I agree, stay sharp, manage your energy down low.

Last edited:
Anytime I'm below 500' AGL, my head is OUTSIDE the cockpit.
Vane style stall warnings and AOAs have the exact same stall sensitivity that the wing has in all attitudes.

Last edited:
Sorry Ross if I was stumbling around my point...

What I was trying to say was that things can happen when we lease expect and that they can't be predicted. I think that a sound (stall horn, AOA "angle-angle" voice) could help save someones life. In fact I believe that it already has a number of times.
It won't save everyone under all conditions, but I'll take what help I can get.
Unfortunately not all the 5000 RVs are still flying. Some have stalled into the ground as Jon noted.

Have a safe flight. :)

Kent

rv6ejguy said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, vane type stall warning systems are insensitive to G/ bank angle influences in stall speed. I haven't tried an experiment with this. Maybe someone who has, can tell us?
"Tongue depressor" stall vanes work by sensing the movement of the airflow's stagnation point, which moves as the AOA changes. At low AOA the stagnation point is ahead of the stall vane, so is pushed back or down. At high AOA the stagnation point is behind the vane, so it is pushed forward or up. Thus it should, in theory, provide a stall warning at the same AOA, no matter what the g loading, angle of bank, CG, etc. However, the AOA at stall would probably be affected by the flap angle and the amount of power produced by the engine. The builder should do testing to investigate these effects to ensure that the stall warning was adequate in the worst case condition.

Personally, I am not a fan of "tongue depressor" stall vanes on low wing aircraft for the reasons stated by others (prone to damage, and can cause personal injury). I would prefer to have an AOA system that uses pressure ports on the upper and lower wing, or one that used a probe below the wing (Dynon, etc).

Thanks for the explanation on vane type stall warning devices Kevin. Wasn't quite sure how they worked and good tip to test them at various flap settings and speeds.

Ken, I agree that these things may save some lives but that more lives might be saved by not doing the show off steep departures too slow, not trying to stretch the glide in an engine out situation and of course watching speed or AOA in the circuit. Basic piloting skills which we were all taught a long time ago but which seem to elude many pilots with plenty of hours more than new pilots. Fear motivates, complacency kills.

My choice was not to install the vane. I'm almost sorry I mentioned it now but I learned something here which is always good. :)

I am installing the door ajar warning switches and lights though. :)

Funny, but I have always considered a stall warning as something I don't need, like a nose wheel. Probably because of my time in non-electric planes (T-Crafts, Cubs, Champs, Stearmans, etc.).

After having flown a number of different RV's, I always thought they had good natural stall warnings and thus some type of warning mechanism isn't needed but from what I have read, I guess I was wrong. ;)

Still, when I started building my -9 and elected to buy a Dynon EFIS I opted to purchase and install their pitot tube with the AOA port.

The reason being that for a little bit of extra money the AOA would be a cool feature AND the added safety device would be a good thing.

If I were building a 10 and given a stall warning device as part of the kit, I would probably install it (after rounding the corners). How many extra hours is it going to add to the total project? Not many, I suspect.

Just another $.02 from a non-10 builder.

How about the price????

The AOA SPORT is priced at $875.00. It has been out for about 10 years. The cost to mfg this product is about (just a guess) $85.00.

Would you pay $400.00 for this item? Maybe AFS would sell many more if they would just be realistic in their price.

The unit just reads pressure at two locations and sounds a voice alarm at a given spread. This is RADIO SHACK stuff!!!!!

The LRI is simple and is all around a better system at 1/2 the price. But it is still to high priced. It should be about $200.00

So, what would you pay for a Angle Of Attack system? The next best thing to seatbelts. :rolleyes:

Warren

I don't know...

gasman said:
The AOA SPORT is priced at $875.00. It has been out for about 10 years. The cost to mfg this product is about (just a guess) $85.00.

Would you pay $400.00 for this item? Maybe AFS would sell many more if they would just be realistic in their price.

The unit just reads pressure at two locations and sounds a voice alarm at a given spread. This is RADIO SHACK stuff!!!!!

The LRI is simple and is all around a better system at 1/2 the price. But it is still to high priced. It should be about $200.00

So, what would you pay for a Angle Of Attack system? The next best thing to seatbelts. :rolleyes:

Warren
Not sure what is in the box that all the hoses plug into, but the cost may be more than $85.00. But even if it is cheaper in parts cost, there is still the cost to manufacture and test each unit. I know that they are all tested, because I have taken a tour of their factory. The other think that people forget about is the development cost of a product. This cost is recouped over the life of the product, so each unit has to have some of that cost in it.

I think that the only difference between the sport and the pro models is the led display and of course the software to turn the leds on.

I am all for the cheaper part for my plane, but the only way that will happen is if competition drives the prices down or more people will buy the units. If that is not happening then the engineering cost to produce the unit must still be to expensive for the number of units that can be sold.

Don't you love capitalism? ;)

Kent

I agree AOA systems seem pretty high. I had been toying with the idea of building my own, since are you are really doing is measuring a difference in pressure between two points.

But, the bad news, if you want high quality sensors they are not cheap.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=PX4600&Nav=preb02

And Honeywell makes an aircraft pressure differential transducer module that is very nice and would not be that difficult to set-up. But again not cheap, about $800.

http://www.ssec.honeywell.com/pressure/datasheets/ppt.pdf

I will not be putting one in my -8 because the difference in empty and gross is not enough to change the stall speed appreciably. I am still open to it on the -10 (I want to build next) but not convinced yet.

RV8RIVETER said:
I agree AOA systems seem pretty high. I had been toying with the idea of building my own, since are you are really doing is measuring a difference in pressure between two points.
How do you propose to convert pressure readings to AOA? It isn't a simple conversion. The amount of fuel you would burn during the flight testing to test out different algorithms would probably be more than the cost of an AOA system with a proven algorithm.

Kevin Horton said:
How do you propose to convert pressure readings to AOA? It isn't a simple conversion. The amount of fuel you would burn during the flight testing to test out different algorithms would probably be more than the cost of an AOA system with a proven algorithm.

My vision of a home made system would not be as fancy, so would not need to have the range of multiple or highly complicated algorithms. Yes, it would take alot of flights to collect data, but I would not consider that a burden. It would also be easier to build a vane type system, if you didn't mind hanging a vane on the side of the aircraft or probe.

However, my point of the post was to say while AOA systems may seem pricey, they are not really. A home grown system, with high grade parts would be $600-900, which is not worth the few $ savings, IMHO. I am sorry I did not make my original point clear.

If you are going to have a "G" meter, then a AOA should be a must!
It does let you know what the wing is doing.........