aarvig

Well Known Member
Van's plans call for using a #30 dimple die and #30 drill for the CS4-4 pop rivets in the bottom of the elevators for the RV-9A. With mine finished I noticed that my rivets are sitting slightly proud. I am currently working on the fiberglass and want it to fit nicely and I am wondering if I missed something when I assembled my elevators? Any thoughts or advice?

It's quality of blind rivets. Don't worry Aaron the painter will fix it by running a sander over. Let them sit proud on the bottom for a while... :)

You will have several assemblies with CS4 just countersink the dimples until it's flush.

This works!

My pulled rivets were sitting proud as well due to the difference in c'sink angle as previouly mentioned. If you have one of the Avery (or other brand) of hole deburring tools (the one with the screwdriver-type swivel handle that has a double 90 degree angle at the business end) just use it briefly to doctor the hole after you dimple it; just enough to remove enough metal so that the dimple is shiny along the taper, your rivets will sit nice and flush. I just wish I'd have discovered it before I started setting the rivets. Hope this helps.