hcccs

Well Known Member
I am planning to use a ICOM A200 or A210 which both have in-built intercoms. Are those not good enough for a two-place RV? Why does everyone install extra intercoms?

Good question

I am interested in the answer too. I plan on the mgl v-10 comm. With what I have read it works great and the savings could go towards other toys. I dont really feel the need for a lot of input options, but I do want to have the dynon skyview able to put voice/alerts through to my ears.

Why I'm doing it.

Hans

I'm not very familiar with the built in intercom function of the ICOM. The reason I'm going with a separate intercom is because I like the flexibility that it offers. For instance, it will auto mute any music source that is playing when a radio call comes it. Additionally, I will be able to connect my cell phone to it and make phone calls via my headset. Big plus, wife can listen to isolated music while sleeping while I'm listening to radio calls. Audio outputs from my EFIS will connect to it. Just to name a few.

Hope this helps

If it's like the SL-40, the intercom function is not voice activated. That's a big reason right there.

Mission?

It may depend on your mission.

I was wishing to use one of the Garmin built in intercoms but when I started drawing the avionics schematic, I could not figure out how to use any of the GX60/SL30/SL40 intercoms with multiple radios (IFR mission for me).

If I was VFR single radio, I'd definitely try it. Less knobs to have set wrong.

Flexibility

Hans

I'm not very familiar with the built in intercom function of the ICOM. The reason I'm going with a separate intercom is because I like the flexibility that it offers. For instance, it will auto mute any music source that is playing when a radio call comes it. Additionally, I will be able to connect my cell phone to it and make phone calls via my headset. Big plus, wife can listen to isolated music while sleeping while I'm listening to radio calls. Audio outputs from my EFIS will connect to it. Just to name a few.

Hope this helps

For the reasons mentioned above Plus ...
There is no contest between the quality that you can get and the comfort that brings when you use an intercom.

You and your passengers will one day not only enjoy the better fidelity but the prospect of having music for some on a long trip is a great thing.

Actually, I am a proponent of going even FURTHER in that I believe it is now to the point where an "audio mixer" (Garmin, PS Engineering Audio Panel, or some standalone mixer plus intercom) of some sort is preferred. My reasoning is that with the multiple sources of sound in the modern machines we are building, we need a way to get it to our ears.

Sources could include:
Radio 1
Radio 2
Music (iPod, CD player, MP3 player etc)
Engine Monitor audio alert
EFIS Audio alert )
GPS audio alert
Traffic audio alert

You may not have anything but a radio today but one day if you add just one of the above, the world is different.

James

Actually, I am a proponent of going even FURTHER in that I believe it is now to the point where an "audio mixer" (Garmin, PS Engineering Audio Panel, or some standalone mixer plus intercom) of some sort is preferred. My reasoning is that with the multiple sources of sound in the modern machines we are building, we need a way to get it to our ears.

Me too....

When I added a second comm, I went from a stand alone intercom to a PS Engineering audio panel. The audio panel (8000B) has an auto-squelch. When combined with those little leather mic muffs from OregonAero.............it's just pure silence (almost *) between transmissions with no fiddling on squelch knobs, etc.

(almost *) = some basic RV rumble from the engine. But no static! :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I don't have the ICOM, but have an XCOM 760 with built in intercom. It is probably the best intercom I have ever used. There shouldn't be any reason to use anything else if there is one in the radio you buy. BTW, someone here is selling XCOM's for about $1k, if you want a point of comparison. Great radio...

Bob Kelly

I have the ICOM-210 and the intercomm works as well as any separate ones I've used on other aircraft. It's voice activated, mutes music input (there are 4 aux audio inputs), and has several programming adjustment options. I couldn't see spending money on something I already had, and making things more complicated at the same time. It works for me.....

When I installed my A210, it was replacing a Val760 that was hooked to a PS intercom. To simplify the wiring and get myself started, I elected to keep the PS and just wire the A210 in to it.

When I re-do the panel I could drop the PS intercom and go straight with the ICOM, *or* I could go with a more involved audio panel. I'll have to wait and see what's needed once I select a glass panel solution. Until then, the PS intercom works, the 210 works, i'm happy.

A fellow flier installed a 210 in his plane and is using the intercom, he's very happy with the intercom and the radio.