Aggie - For me, the MAIN reason for choosing the RV-12 was that I can build the entire airplane virtually by myself. Have had help flipping wings and rolling the fuselage, but so far all major construction has been done solo. I don't need to do aerobatics or have a 200 mph cross country cruiser. To quote a friend of mine ... "I like flying. Why would I want to get there sooner?".

The RV-12 kit is complete and almost turnkey ? flip the last page in the plans and the airplane is virtually ready to fly. Doubt I will be doing any night flying, so although a licensed pilot, plan to fly as a sport pilot and forgo the hassle of taking the medicals considering the way I will be flying the RV-12.

Other factors - the RV-12 kit is relatively inexpensive yet complete. It has a good avionics package, complete wiring harnesses for the most part, fuel cost efficient and backed by Van?s years of experience producing quality kits which have parts that fit like ?OJ?s gloves?. Plus, it flies nice ... so overall, you get a lot of bang for the buck which is hard to come by these days.

Total operating costs are lower than the other Van's models but really the first issue was the LSA non-medical. Once I got beyond that I realized I haven't flow in decades. Finishing off my 9 and flying around at 185 would probably mean I'd be behind the plane for awhile when my flying skills were weak.

Flying around at 125 to 135 isn't bad either. for a while I was thinking about just getting a really old 172 for half the price. Looking at operating costs, upkeep costs and that smell in the cockpit that reminded me of a grandma's old cloth couch, I decided new, updated and modern was the way to go.

I may still complete that 9A, but for now I'll be finishing the 12. My wife will be getting her license in the 12 and I'll be sharpening my skills all on 4 to 6 gallons an hour of auto gas.

The 12 is a lot easier to build than the 9 was (only worked on the 9 emp before life detoured my plans). I like being led by the hand through the building process. My life skills and experiences are in other arena's that don't include the necessary skills and experience to blindly go where no builder has gone before. Er...actually, that's probably exactly what would happen :eek:

Bob

Some of my reasons for choosing an RV-12 over the RV-9 (my next preferred choice) or other manufacturer's kits:

1. Complete kit with all the hard parts - engine, avionics and wiring included. That got a big tick.
2. Total cost known up front. Another big tick.
3. Cheaper than other 2-place RV's (assuming all new parts).
4. One-person build due to pulled rivets. No need to find a helper for riveting and no rivet gun noise to bother the neighbours.
5. Removable wings make transportation, storage and maintenance easy.
6. Engine designed to run on relatively cheap unleaded but can also use 100LL if necessary.
7. LSA meant that both recreational and GA pilots could fly it, hence more sales opportunities should I ever decide to sell it, or keep flying it myself should I lose my medical.
8. Good enough speed and range for cross country flying with a reasonable amount of cargo capacity.
9. Excellent handling and flying qualities (according to all the reports I could find).
10. Great plans- easy to follow, plus very solid support from the company.
11. I always wanted an RV!

My plane is almost finished now (being painted). I've enjoyed every minute of it and haven't regretted my decision for a moment.

Last edited: