erich weaver

Well Known Member
Patron
For those that used the Quickbuild option, if you do an honest, close comparison of the factory set flush rivets with rivets that you set yourself, dont you find that the factory ones look superior overall? There's nothing really wrong with mine - but they generally are just not as perfectly flush as the factory ones. I did a quick look around the airport at other RVs and it seems to be the case for others as well.

Im having my -7A painted now, and man, the paint goes over those factory rivets on the wing really nicely. You can still see that the rivet is there, but the paint perfectly bridges the skin-to-rivet contact. Not always the case for the rivets I set, although again, its acceptable, and seems to be similar to most other RVs I see.

I know that the factory guys have set far more rivets than I ever will, but can someone quantify the reasons why theirs are so darn consistently perfect? I think I would have a very hard time matching their quality no matter how careful I was.

erich

If all you did all day was set rivets, you'd probably set them better too. It's much easier to be consistent when you have time to get in a rhythm.

However, that said, I was surprised when I went to Oshkosh 2006, looked at the RV7 quickbuild fuse that was there on display and returned thinking quite the opposite about the shopheads... that my SB riveting quality was probably not much, if any, worse, and I don't think that I'm any better than average at riveting. To be sure, I've got my share of bungled rivets, but so did the QB.

One thing that will really help the "flushness" of your rivets is either (1) backriveting or (2) using a solid rivet set. The swivel version will prevent big dents if yoiu get careless, but it does not as efficiently transfer the pounding of the rivet gun, thus providing more time for the rivet to get pushed out by the bucking bar before it sets.

My rivets were set every bit a well as any in my QB kit done by the factory. Properly prepped, dimpled and set there should be no difference. It just takes practice, patience and caring. My riveting experience was limited to what I learned in the RV assembly seminar and what I did on the plane I built.

Roberta

I can promise you they dont use rivet tape on the Quickbuilds......

Its just a matter of doing all day everyday.

I believe that I have mastered the rivet process as well as anyone. But one of the items I have come to accept is it is important to have a "rivet buddy" who also shares your desire for the "perfect" rivet set. When I need a helper, I turn to my one-and-only rivet buddy. It truly does make a difference, and we do get consistent, excellent results.

I have had folks volunteer to help with driving or bucking, I just don't want to teach them on my ac. I am very willing to help them on their own projects...

Scotch #811 removable tape in the blue box. Available at office supply stores. Perfect wing and fuselage rivets...........every time!

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Dimpling

I found that one of the most important steps is adequate dimpling. I have the old C frame dimpler, and hammered away with a dimpling die. It normally took two hits to get a good, crisp dimple. You can see a ring form around the hole. The rivets will then sit perfectly.

Tried only one hit, and the rivet does not sit as flush. It takes a little longer, but I thought it was worth it. Along with good riveting technique, it comes out looking real nice.

Bingo!

Lycosaurus is right, in my opinion. Most are afraid to hit the dimpler too hard. Try it on some scrap. Hit a couple with your typical force & a couple more like you're driving a big nail.

Then set rivets in all of them.

Charlie

Erich,
FWIW, my observation of the factory QB rivets matches yours. Theirs look better. I chalked it up to the "they do thousands of rivets a day" reasoning.

Mine are every bit as good as the QB ones. I think the "secret" is to use high-quality dimple dies (the first set I bought I tossed), whack the die harder than you think you ought to, back rivet wherever possible, and take your time to really learn how to do it, like Roberta says.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

I used a stock dimple die set on my RV and the rivets are really good but not perfect. I bought a set of Avery Spring Back Dimple Dies and the difference is night and day. The heads come out perfectly flush every time no matter if you squeeze or drive. Well worth the extra bucks. Don