I'll guess -- not asking questions that are "relevant" to RVs.. (not necessarily related to RVs.. but relevant). I don't think there are many Aspens installed in RVs.. so you probably won't get a lot of help nor opinion on that.. Same thing with G500... S-Tec autopilot? no way.. ... those are not devices that are common in our aircraft.. hence.. no one has anything to say..

But ask about Dynon, GRT, AFS... even BMA.. and you should get some conversation going..

So, it's not you :)

Why am I the only one not getting any responses to my posts? Ya'll are starting to give me a complex here...
No snub intended.

The Aspen stuff, while very nice, carries the administrative/paperwork overhead of being certified. That means the price/performance ratio is too high to interest many RVers.

You can get more capability and features for less money if paperwork isn't important, so few of us have any experience with the Aspen, Avidyne, or high-end Garmin stuff except for using it in certified airplanes.

I can answer lots of questions about using first generation Avidyne Entegra equipment and Garmin radios, but I know absolutely nothing about installing it.

Oh... *whew* I was starting to wonder there for a minute. I know there are lots of sections in this forum devoted to RV's (I have actualy worked on one once. I did an IFR cert on an 8 a few weeks ago) but I guess I didn't think all of it was. No problem, I feel better now.

No snub intended.

The Aspen stuff, while very nice, carries the administrative/paperwork overhead of being certified. That means the price/performance ratio is too high to interest many RVers.

You can get more capability and features for less money if paperwork isn't important, so few of us have any experience with the Aspen, Avidyne, or high-end Garmin stuff except for using it in certified airplanes.

I can answer lots of questions about using first generation Avidyne Entegra equipment and Garmin radios, but I know absolutely nothing about installing it.

Ah, the beauty and simplicity of an experimental aircraft LOL. Yeah I try to stay away from that certified stuff. Stupid question: are RV's certified or experimental? We do so few certified aircraft that I honestly don't know.

Ah, the beauty and simplicity of an experimental aircraft LOL. Yeah I try to stay away from that certified stuff. Stupid question: are RV's certified or experimental? We do so few certified aircraft that I honestly don't know.

RVs are, categorically, experimental. The vast majority are certified as experimental/amateur built. A tiny handful I think are certified differently I think, mainly the factory airplanes.

Dont' worry about, sometimes happens to me too, and every time I think :

Hey luca what's are you doing ? You're writing with people overseas @ aviation nation, from Italy, probably everyone is thinking pizza, cappuccino, mandolino, niente lavorare or things like 'Italy ? Have you private aviation in Italy? Really ? :):):)

And then happens things like meeting VAF people in OSH or story like this :

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45739&highlight=world+friends

You're always welcome, keep on posting!

Last edited:
Dont' worry about, sometimes happens to me too, and every time I think :

Hey luca what's are you doing ? You're writing with people overseas @ aviation nation, from Italy, probably everyone is thinking pizza, cappuccino, mandolino, niente lavorare or things like 'Italy ? Have you private aviation in Italy? Really ? :):):)

And then happens things like meeting VAF people in OSH or story like this :

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45739&highlight=world+friends

You're always welcome, keep on posting!

Luca,

Don't forget the jelato!

Oh, and there is that good vino too.

probably everyone is thinking pizza, cappuccino, mandolino, niente lavorare or things like 'Italy ? Have you private aviation in Italy? Really ? :):):)

Your point??:D

Talking with the boss (work) earlier in the week and the opportunity to return to Verona for a visit with a machinery vendor came up. I jumped at it but it was quashed. I haven't given up yet. I think the place is fantastic.

Hi Brettt.....

...I too, saw your post but, you know what?? When we homebuilders see something "certified" related, it's like being informed that the IRS is coming over for a visit:eek: We're a fiercely independent bunch and love the freedom experimental/homebuilt aviation brings and all the neat gadgets we can buy so cheap and they work so well. Heck, we don't even need an STC to run mogas.....and we could run Jack Daniels if we wanted to:D...and we can do our own condition inspections (same as an annual) if we built the airplane.
You, as an A@P can do condition inspections without having to have the IA part....something you might want to consider.

Welcome,

Folks will usually only respond about issues they are somewhat knowledgable about or have questions about themselves.

Not a lot of Aspens in these planes to become knowledgable about and the pricing (I suspect) keeps a lot of us from becoming interested in them.

The major value in these forums is not in getting responses but in perusing them in depth and the search function.

Welcome to the forums they are a priceless asset to any builder no matter what you are building.

Oh... *whew* I was starting to wonder there for a minute. I know there are lots of sections in this forum devoted to RV's (I have actualy worked on one once. I did an IFR cert on an 8 a few weeks ago) but I guess I didn't think all of it was. No problem, I feel better now.

RV pilots are a friendly and helpful bunch but, yes, this whole forum is devoted to RVs. The 'Vans' in 'VansAirForce' should have been a big clue. Of course, it's not uncommon for an RV builder/owner to have some other aircraft and post the occasional question regarding their Lancair/Thorpe/whatever but I don't think we're going to be too helpful for the type of avionics used in the aircraft you are working on and the moderators will probably delete threads that are not at least somewhat related to RVs. You'll probably get better response from manufacturer forums than here.

RV pilots are a friendly and helpful bunch but, yes, this whole forum is devoted to RVs. The 'Vans' in 'VansAirForce' should have been a big clue. Of course, it's not uncommon for an RV builder/owner to have some other aircraft and post the occasional question regarding their Lancair/Thorpe/whatever but I don't think we're going to be too helpful for the type of avionics used in the aircraft you are working on and the moderators will probably delete threads that are not at least somewhat related to RVs. You'll probably get better response from manufacturer forums than here.

LOL actualy I've got more info out of this forum than I have on the Garmin forum. It's almost like, since I work on very few certified aircraft, I don't belong there or something. But then again I'm probably being paranoid about that too just like I was on this one. Anyway, I am very relieved to know that it wasn't something I said or my deoderant not working. Thanks guys!

And don't forget that Italy is also the home of Stellio Frati, designer of some of the most beautiful aircraft of all time! (Falco, SF-260, etc.)

...people overseas @ aviation nation, from Italy, probably everyone is thinking pizza, cappuccino, mandolino, niente lavorare or things like 'Italy ? Have you private aviation in Italy? Really ? :):):)

Pfft... With the way you people drive, you would think everyone would rather fly, but the sky's are very quiet.

The best cappuccino I've had was in Raznov pod Radhostem, Czech republic.

Brett,
don't feel bad. I think I'm a tread killer. This will probobly be the last post of this thread.

William

And don't forget that Italy is also the home of Stellio Frati, designer of some of the most beautiful aircraft of all time! (Falco, SF-260, etc.)

I spend all my flytime into an original Falco F8L, waiting the first flight in my 8.

Ciao. My birthday is 10/13 not far from yours

a fly with a friend with 4^ series F8L Falco (original - not Sequoia)

O-320, 160hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxwhfw3REM

Last edited:
Wow

You are a lucky man, Luke. I'll be most interested in hearing your impressions of the RV-8's handling compared to the Falco.

Falco vs. RV-8

William,

in few words I'll try to give you an idea; I did only ten flights with RV's but it enough for trying.

My sensations:

- First of all, modernity. Original Falco is old, not vintage, old (I fly a 1956 model). The wing profile is very sensitive so you don't have range for attitude, in the Falco the wing stalls & spins without phone call. You have plenty of feel before this happens in an Rv.
I teach a lot of idle engine emergency in the Falco, @ best glide of 100 mph (gear up) you don't have a lot of time to think in the 1800 ft/min descending rate, not so far from a Yak-52 ! Gear down only when you are really ready to reach your field.

- Second, verstatility. With Falco you need almost 2100 ft. to operate without exceed tricks, the retractable gear is very light (read : not strong) so concrete is better and grass operation are allowed only in a golf club style airfield.

- Speed : Falco O-320 - 160hp - hartzell two blade CS - retractable and you put 75% so you are in the 160 mph arena - and the wing leading edge is so sharp .....

- Complexity of the retractable gear - a lot of mechanical and electric frills under the cowl and the fuselage to operate the rg; everytime you have greens in downwind you're happy. I don't like to teach Touch&Goes with Falco.

BTW I like falco, it's the best part of italian general aviation small airplane productions. It's a vintage airplane, all wood, so I like to say that during an aileron roll: 'if you stay concentrate on noise you can hear a group of woodworms saying YIPPEE ! :)

Can't wait to fly my 8

Ciao

ps: hope that my english is acceptable

Last edited:
Luke, thank you for your interesting comparison. Your english is good and way better than my italian, but a couple of points were difficult for me.

... The wing profile is very sensible so you don't have range for attiitude,
I'm not sure what is meant here. Are talking about a thin wing profile? Also, are you saying that the wing is not suitable for high altitude?
Mah, the leading edge of the wing is about 1 1/8 inch....
Are talking about a sharp leading edge? Is the 1 1/8 inch a radius at the leading edge?

probably means "sensitive"

A lot of "latin language" speakers mix up "sensitive" and "sensible".

Falco vs. RVs

Larry,

sorry.

The wing profile of the falco is very sensitive (Mickey thanks); in fact you can loose/gain speed very quickly - this what I would like to explain when I wrote 'you don't have range for attitude'.

About the leading edge I was meaning that it's very sharp and it's strange that isn't so fast.

It's difficult for me explain something like a 'feeling', hope now it's better.

:eek:

Why am I the only one not getting any responses to my posts? Ya'll are starting to give me a complex here...

Cause you are from Alabama and the Crimson Tide football team is good this year, ranked #1-3 depending oln what poll you read. They beat Virginia Tech and we lost to them. The Tide is ranked ahead of my Huskers. That's the only reason right there! ;)

Last edited:
Cause you are from Alabama and the Crimson Tide football team is good this year, ranked #1-3 depending oln what poll you read. They beat Virginia Tech and we lost to them. The Tide is ranked ahead of my Huskers. That's the only reason right there! ;)

Woooooo, hold on there pal! Ain't no love for Alabama from this Tiger fan. WAR EAGLE all the way! Believe me I was rooting for Tech all the way in that first game. My two favorite teams: Auburn and anyone that beats Alabama (actualy at heart I am a big UW and WSU fan).