Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I'm not even finished with this long flying trip, and already thinking about the next one! So who can I expect to meet next weekend at LOE (it'll be MY first time!) ??

Paul

I'm looking forward to meeting you Paul. I'm also looking forward to seeing that beautiful bird of yours!

G

LOE

Paul,

We (wife and I) went last year. We were very impressed and met some great people! I wish we could go this year but it is not going to happen. We have to be in Vegas for a conference. I look forward to someday meeting you, and seeing your plane, both have been an inspiration to so many including myself. Have a great time! Someday my 8 will be done!

Man I hate to miss it but ...

We flew there last year and really enjoyed it but we got too short in both time and money reserves this year. It really is a wonderful place to be with your RV. Have fun.

Bob Axsom

I'll be coming down... Hoping for the longest distance award... From Seattle. I'll be flying in a friend's RV7 for the trip.

I'm hitching a ride from Robby "Hard" Knox in the back of his 8. Andy you might have beat by few miles!

Ironflight said:
I'm not even finished with this long flying trip, and already thinking about the next one! So who can I expect to meet next weekend at LOE (it'll be MY first time!) ??

Paul
Paul,
Since you've set the "Gold Standard" for RV-8 panels, I'll be there, camera in hand. Really looking forward to meeting you and getting lots of pictures of "Valkyrie" (and ideas too).

LOE

Paul,
I'm planning on launching from T67 (one of the N.TX BC bunch) 10/12, weather permitting, and stopping at Andrews (E11) to top off sometime around mid-morning. There will probably be at least a couple more from RV Central. You are certainly welcome to join the gaggle. I've been admiring your bird for some time now and am looking forward to meeting you. If you are interested we can coordinate a more definite arrival time.
Jerry Kinman

SoCAL group

Looks like we have Trish & Mark Aguas, Gary Sobek, Dan Checkoway and Victoria & I coming from SoCAL to meet you all. Don Wentz will also be joining us as well ;) Rosie

One Year Later

One year ago at LOE I decided to build an RV-7 -- I'd been building up to it for months/years. Saturday night, after the raffle I didn't win :(, I found a tailkit for sale in Phoenix on VAF and arranged to buy it that night and pick it up the following week.

One year later my empennage hangs from the rafters of my garage, my wings are almost done, and my fuselage kit is inventoried and scattered about the garage.

I'm looking forward to another LOE - lots more questions this time, perhaps a more educated eye as to what to look for. Close to an engine decision and beginning to think about avionics. Shooting to be flying it by next LOE.

Looking forward to seeing all of you. Dan C, especially looking forward to seeing you again as you were one of my instructors last December in Corona at the SportAir workshop.

George

A short trip

I'll be there with a short trip from Tucson.... :) ...and taking a fellow local Tiger pilot and new RV-8 builder with me

Be there in time for the Friday night beer.... :D

gil in Tucson - 2 hours away

Who's Going To LOE

Russ & Ann will be there with Bob & Sidney Kaufman (RV-10 Builders from Las Vegas).

grjtucson said:
Looking forward to seeing all of you. Dan C, especially looking forward to seeing you again as you were one of my instructors last December in Corona at the SportAir workshop.
It'll probably be a quickie for me. I'll at least be there on Saturday for the large formation that Stu McCurdy is putting together.

George, it's nice to hear you're making good progress. Keep it up!

Flying out friday

Jerry Kinman said:
Paul,
I'm planning on launching from T67 (one of the N.TX BC bunch) 10/12, weather permitting, and stopping at Andrews (E11) to top off sometime around mid-morning. There will probably be at least a couple more from RV Central. You are certainly welcome to join the gaggle. I've been admiring your bird for some time now and am looking forward to meeting you. If you are interested we can coordinate a more definite arrival time.
Jerry Kinman

I won't be able to leave Houston until friday morning, but I hoep to make an early departure...I'll catch up with everyone when I get out there!

Really looking forward to putting faces to all the names I've seen...

Paul

LOE

I'm planning to arrive there Saturday and stay overnight. I have a reservation at the La Quinta (Baymont), and will be looking to bum a ride to the hotel.
I will be flying a T-28C Trojan, kinda like a really huge RV-8A. I'll be flying in from Steamboat Springs, CO and going on to Boca Raton, FL so maybe I'll qualify for distance. Look forward to meeting all of you!

Since I live just a quick 1.2 hrs north in Los Lunas, I'm gonna try for a down and back on Saturday. Might come down in a four ship with Larry Miller (-4), Dave Mattison (-6) and Brian Musson (-6a).

Meanwhile, wx check today in the greater Albuquerque/Rio Grande valley area is scuddy and drippy. Go figure. The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta just started. We've had weeks of sunny skies, then the balloons show up and drag the yuck with them. At least they have highly skilled "pilots" flying them. *choke, chortle, guffaw*

Red and Seismo

From the Denver area it looks like there will be at minimum 3 ships going to LOE with N99PZ in the lead

Carol and I are planning to come. Leaving Thursday and overnighting in Texarkana, and then through Big Spring and into LOE on Friday, weather permitting. The forecast keeps changing (gee, what a surprise!). This is the best RV fly in anywhere, and is certainly for a good cause.

Vic

Some From Arizona

Ron Smith RV-6a, Marv and Maxine Horn RV-6a, Tom and Katie Velvick RV-4 are flying down Friday morning from Phoenix, AZ. Dave and Ann RV-6a, Glenn Jackson RV-4, possibly Richard RV-6a, Tim Coldenhoff RV-9a and Bill Jacques RV-9a are flying in Saturday morning from Phoenix. I think most of us are staying at the La Quinta Inn (former Baymont Suites). Tom has rented a full size car and is going to be doing shuttle duties for some of the others.

Uh.....

Uh....could somebody inform me what is going on in LOE fly in? From the webpage of the LOE, I gather that it is a RV gahering. Are there forums, exhibits or airshow? Any program I can find on the web? Is there camping on the field? I am considering coming to LOE with my RV9eh.

Pete
:confused:

My Plane but not Me

Well, I've been the last 3 years thanks to Dave Biddle. It figures that my plane is done and I can't make it.

The good news is N717EE will be there in the capable hands of Robbie Attaway. His plane is down for a minor prop problem so I offered him mine.

Bummer. I am giving him $20 bucks to buy me a raffle ticket. Maybe there will be a prize or two left after Tom and Katie Velvick run out of chances :rolleyes:

Have fun everyone. Hopefully next year.

RV9798 said:
Uh....could somebody inform me what is going on in LOE fly in? From the webpage of the LOE, I gather that it is a RV gahering. Are there forums, exhibits or airshow? Any program I can find on the web? Is there camping on the field? I am considering coming to LOE with my RV9eh.

Pete

It's pretty much a social event. I've driven or flown a Spam can down for the last 4 years. There's usually a vendor or two there, but that's certainly not the focus of the event. It's mostly a place to look at airplanes and meet other builders. I've driven or flown a Spam can down for the last 4 years and although I've never really forced myself to meet anyone. It's still one of my favorite weekends of the year. I go home recharged and full of motivation to work on my own project.

I suppose you could camp on the field, but I've never seen anyone do it.

There's quite a few other things to do while in the area too. There's Hueco Tanks (pronounced Waco Tanks) State park, which has lots of amazing rock formations and Native American pictographs. It used to be one of the premier rock climbing areas in the country, but has been regulated to the point where it's not worth the drive (for climbing) anymore. You can make a quick trip to Mexico, or stay closer and eat lots of great food. The best Tamales anywhere in the southwest are in Canutillo, just a couple of miles from the airport. The place is called Tamales Lupita--don't let the appearance put you off. I usually eat several there and leave with several dozen for the freezer. If you take the old road from Santa Teresa toward Las Cruces, you'll pass a great New Mexican food place called Chope's. The food is spiced to local tastes, so if you're not used to very spicy foods be prepared to pay for your indulgence the next moring. :eek: Further along the same road you'll drive through one of the largest pecan growing areas in the world. A stop at Stahman Farms for some pecans and ice cream is well advised.

Hope to see you there,
Guy

If I had to describe the event using two words it would be 'Family Reunion'. Strictly social...and the highlight of my year RV-wise. Hope you can come!

b,
d

RV9798 said:

Pete