bsacks05

Well Known Member
I have been planning on attending this year's SERFI http://www.serfi.org/
I have never been there but hear it is a good time. My plan is to camp there for a night or two with either my son or daughter.
Anyone care to share their SERFI experiences?
Any suggestions?

SERFI

I have been going for the last 4 years. The vendors are sparse the last few years, maybe because the weather was bad. Lot of fun for us and the kids. Will be flying in in my KR-2. The 7 isn't finished yet....man I hope I don't run out of money. :D Oh yea, Don't camp by the highway, the traffic, in particular the big trucks, will keep you up all night.:mad:

SERFI

SERFI was moved up one week this year due to one of the organizers desire to attend the NASCAR race in Talledaga the following weekend. That puts it back in direct conflict with the Thomasville, GA flyin that to me, at least, has always been a better flyin. The two flyins shared the same weekend for many years and finally the two organizations got together several years ago and changed dates. This year, for some reason and without any of the local EAA chapters being advised, SERFI moved back one week.

The flyin at Thomasville will be well attended, I suspect, and I think they have camping on site as well. I think there is a website but can't find it right now.

Bruce, if you go to Thomasville let me know. I'd sure like to see your plane.

Last edited:
Bruce,
Come on over!

This will be my 9th year as a volunteer at SERFI. Like any fly-in we have our ups and downs, but we do try to make sure everyone has a good time. Fire away if you have questions.

Last year we eliminated the FAA-operated temporary control tower (and a $1700 FAA fee). No problems, so same this year, CTAF and ground only. Everyone please read the arrival proceedures and stay eyes out.

SERFI is a group effort by a bunch of different EAA Chapters, and the gang likes it low key, low budget, and pilot-oriented. Aircraft registration is $5, $10 for the weekend, plus a small camping fee. We've never been a vendor-oriented show, although all are welcome (a booth w/ electricity is a whopping $100, $75 without). The city of Evergreen runs school buses to the motels. Fuel is $4.15. Plenty of camping space, in the campground or under the wing. A big weekend is 500 airplanes.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KGZH

http://www.serfi.org/

So if I understand correctly, both SERFI and Thomasville are the weekend of the 12th?
Well, if the weather is good maybe we'll hit 'em both. :)

SERFI

Bruce,
That's true this year. Hopefully, next year the organizers can go back to the way it has been for years. They are both really good weekends.

Dan, can you share a little more insight on the reason they did this at SERFI? All the EAA chapters around SE AL are saying the decision was made by one individual to change it. For years they were on the same weekend and for the past 10+ Serfi had been the week before.

Both are great places to see RV's and talk flying but unfortunately, Saturday is the best day to be at both.

There's several of us planning on Thomasville this year as we went to SERFI last year, unless the weather won't allow.

I've been attending SERFI board meetings since 1999, and not conflicting with Thomasville has been an interest for years. Most of us want to attend both, and we share many volunteers. This year the rumor mill is not helping anyone.

When dates were discussed for SERFI 2007, the Thomasville fly-in was under the temporary control of the City of Thomasville. There was no official Thomasville 2007 date; read this December 2006 letter from the new president of the Thomasville Aviation Club to its members:

http://www.thomasvilleflyin.com/Dec membership letter.doc

I for one am glad to see them back on an even keel. Rest assured that somebody from the SERFI board will be in contact with Irv regarding 2008 dates.

Tough to pick a date. October is covered up with fly-ins, festivals, races, and tent revivals. It is impossible to pick a weekend that doesn't conflict with something. This year I know of at least two other fly-ins on the same weekend as SERFI and Thomasville (Birmingham and Atlanta), plus two chapter fly-ins in MS and LA. Heck, you have an RV; push up the throttle and visit them all <g>.

Who's going SERFIng

Dan -
Plans have changed (again).
Chances are high that I'll be there.

Serfi

Thanks, Dan for clearing that up. Sounds like the rumor mill was incorrect again. I'll spread the (correct) word around here.

Maybe we can make both.

Thanks again.