designerX

Well Known Member
Who's flown N412RV and what did you think?

We haven't heard that many flight reports from folks that have flown the red one (newer model.) What do you think? Happen to remember any flight data?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Stan

PS. I'm considering a mission change.

Last edited:
I loved it

Last September I toured the factory and took a demo flight. I found the room excellent. The visibility was very good. The conrtols were light and well balanced. We never got to altitude so I can't comment on speed or climb. Turns were easy, with very little rudder needed. In fact for one turn I was told by Joe, the pilot, to leave my feet flat on the floor. There was little if any noticable yaw. Stalls were a non event. No wing drop, push the nose down a bit and away you go. I have never flown in any other RV, so I can't compare. I was told to keep the speed down on landing or the plane will float. Joe made the landing so I can't say. It was a bit more subject to turbulance than my Cherokee, but that is to be expected. It was the second most fun plane I've ever flown. ( a T-28 for my birthday was the best)

I flew it for just aboutt 5 minutes at sun n fun thought it handled great and good climb with two of us maybe about 380lbs or so i did notice that i had wanted to use too much back pressure in turns doesn't take much at all gentle stalls overall nice handeling

Who's flown N412RV and what did you think?

We haven't heard that many flight reports from folks that have flown the red one (newer model.) What do you think? Happen to remember any flight data?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Stan

PS. I'm considering a mission change.
See my comments on the Sun n' Fun pics thread , page 2. Steve

Very smooth

Had about 1/2 hour in the red one last Summer - I echo the comments of Mark above - very easy and fun to fly - doesn't want to stall - well coordinated and takes practically no pressure on the stick to make it move. Outstanding visibility. Slower than all the rest of the RVs. Great to fly - I plan to see the USA in mine! :cool:

Sweeeet...

I've flown the little red bird... Here's my previous post on the subject:

My wife and I scheduled a stop in Portland this past labor day weekend just for a VAN's tour and test flight of the RV-12. (My wife ROCKS!)

Anyway... the little bird flies as advertised... wonderfully! Nice light, smooth controls with enough feedback that you aren't over-controlling. (well... after you realize it ISN'T a 172!) If I recall - we were at a mid-cruise... maybe 5200 RPM and 108 kts - and guessing about 100 lbs under gross. My recollection is a bit fuzzy... because instead of the calculated, test pilot, "factual" assessment I had planned... well, I was more like a giddy teenager at a new car lot! :rolleyes: It's no wonder Van's sells them so readily after a test flight. <snip>

In summary... as a 152/172 pilot... you'll find that the RV-12 is like a little sports coupe compared to a truck. To be honest with you... I haven't flown much this year at all. Getting some tail-dragger time in a Decathlon... and flying the RV-12 has really ruined it for me! I just don't really enjoy the 172 at all. And that is all that is available in my area. :rolleyes: Not bashing the Cessna... It's a good solid bird that has trained a lot of pilots. Just my own experience and feelings.

Anyway... search here on VAF and you'll probably find a few other test reports more professional then my ramblings. :D

It is a nice little cruiser. Visibility is great - both over the nose, as well as an enhanced view down to the side due to the leading edge of the wing being further aft.

DJ

Last edited:
Went for a 20 min flight at Sun 'n Fun. Nice calm morning. Mike was the PIC and I was in the right seat. Mike took off but allowed me to follow him. A little back pressure until lift off and hold during climb out. During climb, hold fair amount of right rudder under full power. At altitude can cut power to 75%, trim plane and release rudder and stick pressure. Thirty degree S turns were nice and smooth with little rudder needed and the view is incredible. I've been flying the Sports Cruiser and the visability is much better in the 12. Slow flight - Keep trimming the plane and fly hands off at 40 - 45 kts. Stall occurred at around 37kts (that's the last number I remember seeing before the nose fell). Mike allowed me to follow stick and rudder movements during our landing. He asked me to lighten up on the stick as he could feel my hand on it. I swear Mike, I was only touching it with my fingers (that shows how sensitive the stick movements are in this plane). On downwind, reduce power and trim to comfortable decent rate. We were a little high so add full flaps and slip during final. Add some back pressure on stick to flare and hold attitude of nose with increasing back pressure until main gear touches down. The stall warning sounded just before touchdown. Keep nose wheel off runway with increasing back pressure until it drops on it's own.

Hope this helps. Keep building.

Rick.

Last edited:
I flew it at Plant City during Sun n' Fun. As others before me have stated, and I concur, It was easy to fly very light and responsive on the controls. I used two fingers most of the time. Had the usual Florida bumps and it was easy to pick up a wing and return to level flight. Couldn't wait to get home and start working on my kit.

Art Pennanen

I had a test ride this past Saturday. I was impressed. Most of my previous flight experience is in an Ikarus C42 (same rotax engine, similar to every other high wing manufactured light sport out there). Climb performance was similar as the Ikarus - good, esp. considering we had comfortably north of 400lbs of panache on board. Single seat climb performance is probably really sweet.

Where it shined, I thought, was the grin inducing roll performance. Yee-ha!

Visibility was outstanding. Tame stall, and the other flying characteristics seemed friendly to a low time pilot like myself. Great plane, I really want one now.

OK, I have to say this: although the Dynon was fine, maybe I'm not used to it. It seemed busy, I had a hard time, esp. from the right hand seat, finding the readouts for airspeed and altitude. I had the same complaint about the Ikarus, which had both steam and a multifunction digital display - I found the analog instruments were easier to glance at, there's just too much going on in those digital displays. Probably just personal preference.

Storage in the cabin is minimal but you know that.

I'm 6'4" and about 205 pounds. I took a seat at Sun & Fun 2008. At the moment I fly a D40. In that plane I have 1" above my head. In the RV-12 a full hand! Besides that the instrument panel is further away from your knees than in the Diamond. But I don't know how it will be side by side.