ron sterba

Well Known Member
Getting ready to start my YIO 320 D1A and was wondering who in the FAA do I register my my engine to receive paper AD's? I called Lycoming and the person said call the FAA to register my engine. The ADs are only thru the FAA. Help!

Ron in Oregon

Hmmm. I know you can go online to FAA.gov and do an AD search yourself because I've done it but I've never heard that you could register a component and have them send you the ADs. There are pay services that do such as ATP, Airresearch, and Tdata and there are others.

Go to FAA.gov and register on-line for your engine and prop type. They will then email you any new A/Ds. Not sure if you can register specific other products, like Cleveland wheels, etc.
Forget paper copies. They are either not available or very expensive.

Man don't know how I missed seeing that option. Ron I'm glad you asked. I just signed up for my engine and prop. However, I have other systems that could be subject to ADs like the mags that aren't listed as far as I could tell.

I think the way it works is that if there is an AD on a mag, the notice goes out to all registered engines that might have had that mag installed. (you will get a lot of notices that do not apply, because of this). If you sign up for an airframe that could have used the same wheels that you have, then you should get any ADs on those wheels. As well as a lot of other, not applicable, ones.
e.g., in the normally certified world signing up your airframe, engine and prop are supposed to get you all applicable future ADs. For EAB it's harder.

Thanks Bob and Todd, Good conversation!!!!GUYS!!! Well maybe this is something that needs to be advertized on Vans aircraft company website or Vans airforce. Sounds like a very critical component on the experiemental venue. Our lives our at stake here. I could get silly sounding here but I wouldn't.

Thanks Guys.

Ron in Oregon

Hey Bob, On that FAA.gov website it shows ADs on certified Lycoming engines (IO-320 D1A) but not the YIO-320-D1A. However I would be concerned about this AD on Lycoming engines that are fuel injected like the IO 320 D1A. It calls for inspection of fuel injector lines for clamping. I dont know about the FAA but I surely think that the 51% 49% rule should send ADs to all experimental aircraft engine owners. My life is as worth as a certified aircraft engine owner or more. I think maybe if EAA needs a safety safety seminar maybe this could be expanded. Now I know I dont want extra expenses but a fire started under a cowling because of loose fuel lines SPARKS my interest.Whats your thought on this? I didny find a place to registed my experimental engine but I did find the certified model. I ll have to call FAA to find out if they register experimental engines for ADs.
–––––––––––––––––––––
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Aviation Administration
14 CFR Part 39
[Docket No. FAA-2007-0218; Directorate Identifier 92-ANE-56-AD; Amendment 39-16894; AD
2011-26-04]
RIN 2120-AA64
Airworthiness Directives; Lycoming Engines, Fuel Injected Reciprocating Engines
AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), DOT.
ACTION: Final rule.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
SUMMARY: We are superseding an existing airworthiness directive (AD) for certain fuel injected
reciprocating engines manufactured by Lycoming Engines. That AD currently requires inspection,
replacement if necessary, and proper clamping of externally mounted fuel injector fuel lines. That
AD also states that it is not applicable to engines that have a Maintenance and Overhaul Manual with
an Airworthiness Limitations Section that requires inspection and replacement, if necessary, of
externally mounted fuel injector lines. This new AD requires the same actions. This AD was
prompted by Lycoming Engines revising their Mandatory Service Bulletin (MSB) to add engine
models requiring inspections. We are issuing this AD to prevent failure of the fuel injector fuel lines
that would allow fuel to spray into the engine compartment, resulting in an engine fire.
DATES: This AD is effective January 25, 2012.
The Director of

Interesting reading.

Ron in Oregon

I ll have to call FAA to find out if they register experimental engines for ADs.

You'll probably find that they either don't understand the question, or that the answer is no. You have to understand that AD's are, by definition, written against a documented aircraft or component. Since Experimental components are, by definition, not fully documented, they can't issue an AD against them.

This does not mean, of course, that if you have something very similar to an item with a certificate, that the AD's won't provide you valuable information. The PMA'd piston that just happens to have had the good fortune to be installed in an experimental engine doesn't know that it is now experimental, so it might fail in the same way as its fully documented brother....

Paul

Well Paul I think that you are spot on with that assumption that we could check the cerified side of the faa library for our model numbers.i did email the feds library and w a s referred to the FSDO. Since I don't want to stir things up on a safety issue iam going to call EAA headquarters for their thoughts of a safety seminar.its my understanding my engine comes off the same assembly line as the engine with a certified letter.its all about product libility you know.

Ron in Oregon