Bubblehead

Well Known Member
Does anyone know a source for roller rocker arms for a 180 hp IO-360? I am installing new ECI cylinders and a couple of the old rockers are not serviceable. Rather than buy old technology, if the price is reasonable I'd like to upgrade to roller rockers.

Thanks,

John

I don't think they exsist. I know some people adapted some Ford V8 rollers on an O-320H2AD, but I don't think that is possible on the -360. I don't be wrong.

Does anyone know a source for roller rocker arms for a 180 hp IO-360? I am installing new ECI cylinders and a couple of the old rockers are not serviceable. Rather than buy old technology, if the price is reasonable I'd like to upgrade to roller rockers.

Thanks,

John

At one point in the past, they were available.

I have this info:
KEN HATFIELD ENTERPRISES
1260 N.W. Perimeter Road
Troutdale Airport, OR 97060
(503) 666-5814
FAX: (503) 666-6332

I do not know if they still offer them. If you find out, please report back with price.

Here is a paste from the flyer that I have.

Manufactured from 7075T6 aluminum with two needle bearings for the rocker shaft and hardened steel cup for the pushrod socket. The valve roller is 1/2" in diameter and rolls on a 1/4" hardened steel axle.
The roller rocker dramatically reduces side load on valves and thus reduces and/or eliminates the rapid and excessive valve guide wear experienced by Lycoming engines which is evidenced by Lycoming 5.B.#388B recommending inspection every 400 hours.
One of the four required inspection~ could cost as much as a set of roller rockers without considering the cost if excessive valve guide wear results in a premature top overhaul.
How many valves have taken the blame for failure when the real culprit was an excessively worn guide.
The original friction rockers vary as much as .043 in total valve opening where as all our roller rockers open the valves the maximum opening allowed.
This will obviously produce a smoother running and more efficient engine.
They are interchangeable with the original friction rockers and do not require any modification or parts changes.
The rockers incorporate an oil passage which lubricates the rocker arm needle bearing and the exhaust has a passage which supplies oil to the exhaust valve stem.
The roller rocker arm used in the angle valve cylinder incorporates a needle thrust bearing instead of a friction thrust washer.

The flyer that I have is in PDF format. I sent it by email to the email address that you have listed on VAF.

Thanks, Gary. I will call the number on the flyer on Friday and report back to the group. I could not find a website for the guy, but that does not mean he is not still in business.

I;m hoping someone from around Troutdale Oregon can fill us in on "Ken Hatfield."

Superior Air Parts...

...carries the lifters and the cam. I don't know if new rocker arms or push rods will be required.

At one point in the past, they were available.
I have this info:
KEN HATFIELD ENTERPRISES
1260 N.W. Perimeter Road
Troutdale Airport, OR 97060
(503) 666-5814
FAX: (503) 666-6332
I've been running these rocker arms since 1995. They are great, but I don't think they are available any more.

I looked at the Performance Engine Link and liked the Titanium rockers. I have used Aluminum rockers on Drag Race engines with success however friends that were in Stock Car racing have had durability problems with Aluminum Rockers and prefer steel or SS rockers. With proper design the steel rockers have the same or less reciprocating mass as the aluminum ones. Titanium should be even better, but of course more expensive.

The lower RPM of aircraft engines might make aluminum acceptable but I would prefer something with better fatigue strength than aluminum.

Bob Parry

I vaguely remember those rocker arms back in the 90's. I thought it was a good idea (and still do) particularly on the angle valve engines. If I remember right they used a thrust bearing that replaces the washer that goes between the rocker and the inside rocker shaft boss. I just OHed a 300HP 540 and those washers were pretty well worn after 1900 hours. Having seen more than one engine with wallowed-out guides I'd say it can't do anything but be helpful in the longevity dept. The 76 series engines (H2AD's) use an automotive rocker arm and I think you can just get an aftermarket roller rocker for a direct replacement.

I have sent them an email and will call them tomorrow. I'll post what I find out.

Bob - I agree on fatigue considerations, but also am aware of the mass changing directions. I would think steel would be fine. Assuming the mass is the same as aluminum ones the fatigue life would be much greater.

Last I knew, Ron /Performance engines was having $$$ problems, behind in rent and stuff. I don't know that I'd send him any large amounts of cash.