Flying again!

Well Known Member
I had cataract surgery in June last year. According to the FAA guidance to the AME all that is required is an evaluation form completed by my Ophthalmologist evaluating my vision. because I was better than 20/25, the form (8500-7) would allow the AME to issue the Class III medical based on the positive evaluation.

However, if you have retinal surgery (repair of retinal tear/detachment) or have RAPD (relative afferent pupillary defect, different pupil size), the AME cannot issue the Class III Medical, it has to go to the FAA for evaluation using the same form.

Has anyone had to go through this process and if so how difficult was it. I would hope that if your vision meets the Class III standards, it would be more or less a rubber stamp.

I want to make sure that when I go for my Class III that it will be approved.

Thanks in advance -- TJ

Retinal detachment

It usually isn't a problem at all if the visual fields and acuity are within normal limits. Your AME might even be able to fax the 8500-7 to the regional office (or OKC depending on his/her relationship with them) and get an approval on the spot. If they don't do that or if the FAA flight surgeon is not available, it usually is a pretty fast approval again if everything is ok. They will likely issue it and send you a letter telling you to let them know if you have any further problems.

I hope that helps.
John

im not clear from your post what you had done, if it was just cataract lens replacement, it is no big deal. bring the form to your AME and if you meet the the standards, which you will know from what the dr put on the form, its a done deal. I had it done and had no problem walking out with a class 1.

if you had retinal repair, then it is more complicated and must go to OKC. but as stated if there were no complications and it did what it was meant to do, it will get done it just takes a little more time.

bob burns
N82RB RV-4