Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I got a note from one of my buddies who was flying between White Sands and El Paso last night about 1800 local time - said he flew over a Skywagon that was at 12.5K and said to say "Hi!" to me....but he didn't get an N-number - just curious if it was someone here in RV-land? If so, NASA 946 passed on your message!:D

Of course, you're going to have admit that you were flying a Skywagon.....;)

Paul

Last edited:
Waaa hahahah

Admit to flying a Skywagon?...thats a good one!...You'll never find out who it was now..:)

Cheers

Frank

wish it was me!!

Well it wasen't me. But,,,,, I would trade my Super Cub for a Skywagon. 90 knots and 2 place for 130 knots and 4 seats? Yep I would make that trade.

I wish it were me, but that's far to south for us northen boys to be seen!

I'd also love a Skywagon...they are on the list of one of the better all purpose taildraggers out there. Unfortuneately, they are a lot of $$'s, and most guys who have them never sell them - especially the ones up in Alaska.

I'll agree, a nice plane indeed! I'll trade my PA-12 for one if anyone wants to trade.:)

Cheers,
Stein

Another Skywagon lover

I would very proudly announce it if I was lucky enough to own and/or fly a Skywagon.

DSC01549.JPG

Forum member Tom Navar's C-180 at Dell City, Texas

Come to think of it, I'll bet it was Tom saying hello.

Last edited:
Confession

Hello, Paul: That was me. I had been up at a friend's ranch on the NM/Colorado border, riding mules and kicking back in the mountains for three days. His strip is at 7200 MSL, about 1400' long, with a dogleg in the middle. Skywagon and Black Jack country. 280 horses haul the groceries upstairs in a pretty direct fashion, and give 144 Kt. Not RV speed, but a guy can't have everything.
This particular airplane was rescued from a corrupt commandante in Mexico, de-registered (XB-ZAB) after a particularly nasty armed confrontation in my ranch where the horse I was riding was gunned down. The airplane and the horse saved my life. I couldn't save my horse's, but the 180 now leads a life of leisure in the wonderful US of A.
Your friends passed overhead in a G-ship and a Hawker, talking to Holloman as "shuttle trainers"... I couldn't resist passing a hello along, as I knew you had to be in that equation. Nice guys, BTW.
Our best to you and Louise.
TN

Glad to hear that you're sill enjoying the use of the airplanes Tom! I remember the story you told of it's history - a fascinating machine, well worth the keeping.

Our best to you and the family - including all the flying machines!

Paul

Link to a previous telling of this story? Sounds like a Cormac McCarthy book waiting to happen!

Hello, Paul: That was me. I had been up at a friend's ranch on the NM/Colorado border, riding mules and kicking back in the mountains for three days. His strip is at 7200 MSL, about 1400' long, with a dogleg in the middle. Skywagon and Black Jack country. 280 horses haul the groceries upstairs in a pretty direct fashion, and give 144 Kt. Not RV speed, but a guy can't have everything.
This particular airplane was rescued from a corrupt commandante in Mexico, de-registered (XB-ZAB) after a particularly nasty armed confrontation in my ranch where the horse I was riding was gunned down. The airplane and the horse saved my life. I couldn't save my horse's, but the 180 now leads a life of leisure in the wonderful US of A.
Your friends passed overhead in a G-ship and a Hawker, talking to Holloman as "shuttle trainers"... I couldn't resist passing a hello along, as I knew you had to be in that equation. Nice guys, BTW.
Our best to you and Louise.
TN

I'd love to hear the story too

I did a search on the forum to see if I could find an old account of the adventure. Sorry about the horse. Would love to hear the whole tale.

It's one of the stories you might hear around the campfire at Big Bend Ranch State Park. Another story Tom can tell you is how to start a DC-3 with a mule.

"How to start a DC-3 with a mule."
If there was ever a book with a perfect title waiting to be written, this is it, Tom! :)

Another story Tom can tell you is how to start a DC-3 with a mule.
A guy I know who used to fly DC-3s in the Canadian arctic claims that several motivated guys pulling on a piece of rope wrapped around the prop dome can start a DC-3 engine if the starter has failed. The guys pulling on the rope are motivated, because if the engine doesn't get started they aren't getting back to civilization anytime soon.