cjensen

Well Known Member
yet another thing crossed my mind while waiting for my wings to arrive...when i get to this point, i wondered what i should do first, the engine or the panel.

what order did you follow?

I did the panel and all wiring aft of the firewall before my engine. Seems to be working OK so far. Hopefully gonna hang an engine in a few hours, cross my fingers. Waiting for my helpers to arrive.

Panel First for me....

I figured that installing the panel and avionics was going to be a much longer and more intricate job than hanging and hooking up an engine, and wanted the engine to sit around for the least amount of time. That worked out well for me - I probably tinkered with aircraft systems for a couple months, and the FWF hookup only took a few days. Now the BAFFLES....that's a whole 'nuther story! ;)

Paul

Engine / Electrics sequence

Our principle was engine first, avionics / electrics last.

The 'reasons' were based around the idea that electronics and avionics features increase, price goes down (if anything), options grow. The engine doesn't change that much and is needed for the cowl, baffle, spinner construction. Our guess is the cowl & baffles will take longer than the panel fitting (the expereinced builders can stop laughing now :) ), we will see.

We ain't flying yet! just another view.

Carl

I had the engine on first and the plane pretty much finished before the panel went in. I did a lot of prewiring in preparation, though. I was able to have most of the items up front during the building process. That way I knew what I was going to put in and planned for it as I built.

Once the engine was hung, most everything was painted, and final assembly was commencing, it was winter. This was a good time to spend in my basement shop and build the panel.

It's good to try and plan around weather and keep yourself busy as much as you can. This really speeds thing up when you have something to work on all the time. If you have to wait for anything or weather, you can loose a lot of productive time.

Roberta

:eek: i seem to remember a monetary comment (from me!) at breakfast this morning jack! :eek: you're absolutely correct!! :D :eek:

if i remember correctly, you did panel first, right?

What came first

After much though and consideration (RV10 QB fuse and wings), I decided that the instrument panel took precedence over the engine and even the installation of the cabin. Surprisingly, the panel leaves little room for moving around. With the forward portion of the QB fuselage removable, it was a no brainer. To date, finishing the tail cone and tail feathers. and connecting the forward fuselage, justr over 600 hrs. Instrument panel alone, so far, nearly 200. My engine is in pieces at this time ready for assembly. My assembly time for a 540 is far less than 200 hrs. It can wait.
T88
RV10

Captain_John said:
Happy one year anniversary, Jack!

:D CJ
THANKS!! John, Just wish Chad and "others" around here would pick up the pace so I would have some local RV's to fly with. ;)

I am working on it too!

Being an edu-ma-cator, I have my summers off so I plan on coming to visit you with my little dog and having some of that world famous pig roast you do!

The next few I may have to sit out, but after that... count me in!

How is that dog Razzle doing?

As an electronics guy my entire life (and my father, and his father before him... you get the drift), I'd vote for engine first. Simple reason is that an engine stores better when not being used than most electronic items. Especially if you're building a fully electric panel, you'd want to save buying electrical items for last.

Also, vacuum instruments have much the same issues... unless stored in a clean environment they will tend to gather dust... and as such might be inoperative or have a shortened life once installed.

Now, having said that you should have a pretty good idea of the general layout of the panel pretty early on. Knowing what goes into your panel is actually pretty important as this is the part you'll spend the most time staring at when you're done (especially in IFR). You have to be comfortable with the panel, and planning early is a good thing.

HOWEVER... again a reason to wait. As you finish up your plane, firstly electronics may have come down in price, or there may be new toys you can install... or you might just find that you've neglected an instrument early on that you suddenly have to find room for. This is especially the case after hanging the engine... how much info do you WANT on what the engine's doing?

So my vote? Leave the panel as long as humanly possible. Make it the last pieces you buy, and the last thing you install in the plane. That way you've spent more time with your bird... you know what'll make you comfortable when you fly... and you can plan around what your bird has instead of what you hope it will have.

Wow... my first post to the board... and it's a long one! :)

Captain_John said:
I am working on it too!

Being an edu-ma-cator, I have my summers off so I plan on coming to visit you with my little dog and having some of that world famous pig roast you do!

The next few I may have to sit out, but after that... count me in!

How is that dog Razzle doing?

Razzle is good. This is her one year anniversary coming to me from Border Collie Rescue :) Real nice pup! Pretty much runs the place now. The date for this years fly-in here is June 17th. I'll post more about it later. You need to catch a ride with someone and hang out. :)

JACKR said:
THANKS!! John, Just wish Chad and "others" around here would pick up the pace so I would have some local RV's to fly with. ;)

OH BOY!! there's some pressure!! ;) i'll be done and ready to fly on friday (may be three years from now, but friday :D )

CJ! you gotta get over to the fly in at holland international! lotsa fun, and you know how we've described the food!

that goes for the rest of you too!!! :cool: