PerfTech

Well Known Member
....I am interested to hear if you guys with other models besides the 9, are told by ground observers that your planes emit a whistle or whining sound when you fly by. People tell me this all the time and I don't hear it inside the plane. I have looked at several videos of my plane and can detect something. perhaps it just isn't as pronounced in the recording as in person. Below is a short little video with pretty good sound. Allan...:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrT-HLsgNSk

It's a well-known trait of the -9 Allan - and I have never heard it from any of the other RV models (including the -1....).

RV-9A whistle

....I am interested to hear if you guys with other models besides the 9, are told by ground observers that your planes emit a whistle or whining sound when you fly by. People tell me this all the time and I don't hear it inside the plane. I have looked at several videos of my plane and can detect something. perhaps it just isn't as pronounced in the recording as in person. Below is a short little video with pretty good sound. Allan...:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrT-HLsgNSk

I have just completed a 9A that also whistles..sounds like my neighbors turbo-Arrow. I have taped up everything that looks like it may whistle, but No joy. Just one of those mysteries of life.

Ed Booth, Trenton, SC

I had a whistle in my -6 and put foam weatherstrip in all the way around the front hoop to seal the canopy when closed which fixed it.

Others have said there is a whine when I fly by in my -7....but it is coming from one cherokee owner & RV wannabe whining about how pathetic the other planes look and fly compared to an RV.:D

OK!!!!!!!!!!

Others have said there is a whine when I fly by in my -7....but it is coming from one cherokee owner & RV wannabe whining about how pathetic the other planes look and fly compared to an RV.:D

...I think you have figured it out! I am surrounded by the same thing and all this time I thought it was coming from my airplane. Thanks, Allan :D

I get a whine/vibration that seems to emanate from around the canopy bow (slider) when the IAS gets into the yellow arc. Goes away when I slow down.