Jim P

Well Known Member
For lack of a better place to put this thread, here it goes...

FAR 91.205 indicates I need a mag directional indicator for IFR flight. That's fine and since I'm planning on using GRT with the magnatometer, the requirement ought to be satisfied. Now, the question; do I need a back-up wet compass? With a dual alternator, the only real need for the whisky compass is if I lose both alternators, and the battery gives out before getting on the ground. If the magnatometer quits, the GPS can provide directional capabilities.

I' really just trying to determine if a wet compass goes in or not. If so, for a tipper, where do you put it so you actually read it, but it's not too close to electronics???

Jim
-7 Fuse

I read somewhere that 91.205 doesn't apply to Experimentals, but I have yet to see an official statement that says that.

My only take on this is that a good compass is a fool proof instrument that will not fail you if installed correctly because it does not depend on any external power whatsoever. For the price, I would install one.

I bought the S.I.R.S. Pegasus (in dash) compass specifically because it has an incredible range of side view (170 degrees total) so it's easy to see where I'm going to put it over on the right side far enough away from the radios so it won't be affected.

91.205 starts out by saying that it applies to "Standard Category" aircraft. However, you Operating Limitations state that it DOES apply to this aircraft for night and IFR operations.
Mel...DAR

Last edited:
I have an Airpath glareshield mount compass that I was planning on installing in my 7A sllder. However, it is too tall to mount in front of (or in back of depending on how you look at it) the roll bar brace.

I seem to recall that there is a bracket made for attaching a compass to the brace itself but cannot find one at Spruce, Wick's etc. Anyone have one installed this way and where did you get the bracket?

Larry

Spruce has them...

......but they're hard to find in their catalog. Page 384 "precision compass mounts" RV6 slider only Pacmo RV6C, PN 10-07934.

However, you don't need one if you're puttingi in an EFIS since the magnetometer serves to comply with the FARs and the ribbon compass tape in the EFIS is a compass, unless, as Mel says, your oplims require it,

Regards,

... since I'm planning on using GRT with the magnatometer, the requirement ought to be satisfied. Now, the question; do I need a back-up wet compass? With a dual alternator, the only real need for the whisky compass is if I lose both alternators, and the battery gives out before getting on the ground. If the magnatometer quits, the GPS can provide directional capabilities...
Jim,

I'm VFR only with a Dynon D100 w/ the internal battery for my compass. My GPS is a Garmin 496 w/ the internal battery is the backup to the Dynon.

That combination is good enough for me as I don't require ship's power to find my way to an airport where I can make repairs, should the need arise.

Your risk tolerance may be different, go with what makes you feel comfortable. Just remember, a plane will fly just fine without a compass, radio, transponder, and some other items often considered essential.