Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
Do I need a whiskey compass to comply with FAA requirements if I have an MGL electronic compass with SP6 sensor ?? I see many Panel shots with EFIS that have no whiskey compass or directional gyro. A friend challenged my plan because the compass is gone if electric power is lost.

No.

91.205 says "Magnetic direction indicator" (And 91.205 pertains to "Standard Category" aircraft). Doesn't say it can't be electric. My op-limits specify 91.205 equipment for Night or IFR. RV-12 has only the Dynon - No Whiskey compass. This has been discussed in prior threads in detail - A search will get you more.

Last edited:
NO

Not required..I fly IFR with a magnetic direction indicator.

Namely the Dynon, plus the Trutrak pictorial pilit which gets direction from the GPS.

Frank

No, it is not required; however, your inspector my mandate it.

When I had my -9 inspected stuck a whiskey compass on top of the glare shield and after he left, I removed it.

.....So, legal, or not?

Bill,
commend your initiative, but just to cover my own rear....would the whiskey compass appear on an equipment list, or elsewhere, where it's absence would be not only conspicuous, but potentially ( and I say 'potentially', as it's so unlikely to be 'caught') in contravention of the operating guidelines as written?