n6233u

Patron
I am new here and have an RV-6A with a wooden propeller. I recently purchased a Whirlwind propeller for another project I am working on and thought that it would be a nice upgrade to my RV-6A. Does anyone have any advice or experience with the ground adjustable Whirlwind Propellers for RV-6's?

Attachments

• 20240902_164946.jpg
    20240902_164946.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 26
I have a 6 with a Bernie Warnke wood prop, and have bought a second hand Whirlwind GA200L ground adjustable prop. I need the Whirlwind Spinner, bulkheads & 2.25” spacer as my Whirlwind prop came off a different aircraft.

I love the wood prop for it’s smoothness, but it has taken a bit of a beating having been (unavoidably) flown through rain.

I’m currently waiting on Whirlwind to get back to me on the spinner and extension - the delay is no doubt to having everything moved to Hartzell.

Also interested in reading about any advice and experience.

Don H
Sydney, Aus

Hello
I have a WW GA propeller on my O-320 RV6A. I bought the prop new about 10 years ago and have flown it about 700 hours. I really like the prop and it has stood up very well, notwithstanding a few minor paint chips near the nickel leading edge from operating in the rain. I replaced a metal Sensenich (also a good prop) because I wanted more acceleration on takeoff and, for no logical reason, I wanted to get rid of the 2600 RPM restriction. The WW accomplished all that, plus the plane seems to fly a lot smoother, even though both props were dynamically balanced. Finally, I think the propeller just looks good. The initial learning curve (for me) to get the pitch set properly was a bit frustrating to say the least. There is a lot of potential for error when using the prop pitch paddle that WW supplies because it is hard to duplicate consistency in all axis. This is important, as the blades need to be pitched within 0.2 degrees of each other. I finally discarded the WW paddle and made a simple jig out of aluminum angle. A pitch change is now relatively easy and relatively quick. The WW is quite light and the change from the Sensenich required a 10 pound ring bolted to the flywheel to get the EW CG back to an acceptable location. Bottom line... I really like the prop and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase it again.
Regards,
John
RV6A

Several years with a Whirlwind BA, no issues with rain. One small chip just behind the leading edge that could be from a stone. The secret to setting the pitch is a laser level attached to the blade tool and alignment marks on the hangar floor. A cross mark for the laser.

I am new here and have an RV-6A with a wooden propeller. I recently purchased a Whirlwind propeller for another project I am working on and thought that it would be a nice upgrade to my RV-6A. Does anyone have any advice or experience with the ground adjustable Whirlwind Propellers for RV-6's?
LOVE MINE ! 400+ hours, looks great, set for a little on climb side for VFR on top flying in SE summer. Check out my comments on link below

LOVE MINE ! 400+ hours, looks great, set for a little on climb side for VFR on top flying in SE summer. Check out my comments on link below

Catto and Sensenich have very good customer relations. hartzell/Whirlwind?? time will tell.
good luck. all are very good props.