[email protected]

Well Known Member
With time building up on my prop and the number of small nicks, pits, and chips on the back side growing I have started to look ahead at the suggested 650 tear down inspection...

I have been quoted 1,600 from American Propeller Service for:
The overhaul includes dis-assembley, inspection, re-finishing of blades and hub, and assembled with new seals..

From the Whirlwind website
Whirl Wind Standard Tear-Down Inspection Service

Our standard, base rate tear down inspection service includes the following parts and labor:

The propeller is completely disassembled. All components are thoroughly cleaned and inspected for wear and / or fatigue
All o-rings are replaced (blade, hub, oil tube and piston)
Cylinder gasket is replaced
Ball bearings and separators (where applicable) are replaced
Roll pins are replaced
Pitch link bushings are replaced
Blade snap rings are replaced
Pin bases are inspected for fatigue (Magnaflux)
Pin base bolts are replaced (where applicable)
Counter weight hardware is replaced (where applicable)
All necessary hardware is replaced
Blades are shimmed as required (new shims may be necessary)
Propeller is statically balanced

Is $1,600 reasonable with blade refinishing??? I have no experience here... anyone had their Whirlwind prop overhauled yet?

Last edited:
Check with Ron Schrek (ronschrek) here - I seem to remember he had a really good youtube video of his overhaul at Whirlwind in Ohio. Hopefully he can give you some info. BTW - I'm awaiting my 200RV prop now!

Check with Ron Schrek (ronschrek) here - I seem to remember he had a really good youtube video of his overhaul at Whirlwind in Ohio. Hopefully he can give you some info. BTW - I'm awaiting my 200RV prop now!

Stephen,

Go HERE for the inspection report.

I called the folks at Whirlwind in January when I approached 1300 hours. They said I should be in no hurry to do the second inspection as it is on an experimental airplane and the 650 hour inspection cycle is not mandatory. They would like to see what the prop looks like with more time on it so I plan on bringing it to them after the air show season ends in November. (They are considering increasing the inspection interval.) I should have well over 1500 hours on it by then.

Geez, I think that is way too much!!! I paid $500 for the 500hr inspection in 2007 with WW Aviation. Looks like Ron paid $500 as well in 2009. Even with inflation, $1,600 seems steep.

My inspection did not include refinishing the blades, so that may account for the difference in price.