Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
We recently took delivery of our new (to us) Whirlwind 151H prop, and boy, did I get some funny looks driving home from the freight terminal with this thing in the back of the truck! We bought this prop with less than 100 hours on it from a seller here on VAF, and had it sent to Whirlwind to have the blades upgraded from the aluminum ferrules to the newer steel design. This raises the service interval from 100 hours to 350 hours, and gave us the chance to have essentially a ?new? prop for a lot less than a ?new? prop. It also allowed us to pick our blade and tip colors (the spinner is the color it was on the original airplane ? we?ll take care of that later?.). WW expects the service interval to go up in the future, and we are happy that the service can be performed by Ameritech in Redding, CA ? that will be much closer to us when we are out in Carson City in a few years.

I just wanted to say that our experience so far with Whirlwind Aviation, and Rob Burden in particular, has been outstanding. He is very customer service oriented, was very honest about the time it would take to get the work done ? and he builds a heck of a shipping box! (One day he told me that the prop was ready to go, and he?d spend the next day building the box to get it ready to ship. I can believe this work of art took him a day?). Rob really seems to want to do the right thing by us homebuilders, and we look forward to hanging this lightweight prop on the -3.

Shipping weight ? 67 lbs. Prop weight ? 33 lbs. Funny looks from folks on the highway!
IMG_0424.JPG

You can bet that we saved the box and custom-cut packing foam!
IMG_0425.JPG

Black blades sure look sharp ? we?ll leave you guessing on our final spinner color!
IMG_0428.JPG

Paul

Great job boxing it up.

Why this prop and not a 200RV? Just curious.

The 151H is 10 lbs lighter than the 200RV - weight is a significant factor on the nose of the -3....it's a small airplane. The 151 is about the only practical C/S prop for the -3 in my book.