mack55

Patron
I am in the process of fitting my cowling and would like someone to double check my spinner positioning. I am using David Howe's EZ Cowl jig and have fabricated an adapter plate to mount my spinner. Whirlwind calls for 1.60" from the most aft part of the spinner to the flywheel plane. You can see my current setup in the pictures attached and a block diagram that shows the spacing I believe is necessary. I am measuring from behind the crank shaft flange and believe the back of the spinner should be 2.33" away. Can someone confirm I am not doing something stupid. I am about to trim the top cowl.

TIA Pat

Attachments

• IMG_6196.jpg
    IMG_6196.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6198.jpg
    IMG_6198.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Prop Spacing.JPG
    Prop Spacing.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 33
  • whirlwind.JPG
    whirlwind.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 30
I am in the process of fitting my cowling and would like someone to double check my spinner positioning. I am using David Howe's EZ Cowl jig and have fabricated an adapter plate to mount my spinner. Whirlwind calls for 1.60" from the most aft part of the spinner to the flywheel plane. You can see my current setup in the pictures attached and a block diagram that shows the spacing I believe is necessary. I am measuring from behind the crank shaft flange and believe the back of the spinner should be 2.33" away. Can someone confirm I am not doing something stupid. I am about to trim the top cowl.

TIA Pat
PM sent

Your drawing represents the ring gear(flywheel) as being straight. It is not. personally I would have the ring gear in place for the measurements. You can then remove it to fit the cowl if that works better.
Yes you’re correct it isn’t straight. But the mounting surface is .250” thick