200 rv prop

I really like my old style 200 rv prop. phase 1, 25 hr. now they are making it better?

We have the same prop you have, Steve. Apparently the 2013 version is the upgraded version of the 200.

We have the same prop you have, Steve. Apparently the 2013 version is the upgraded version of the 200.

You're talking about the 74RV, kweerbayt. ;)

Call WW, I talked to them about it quite a bit. It was optimized for the 195+ HP motors, takes 210 or more to see a notable gain. About 2-3 knots faster top end on an RV-8 from what they said.

Good luck getting them to paint it purple. :eek:

I did some checking a while back, as I was thinking I might gain some speed for the races. But found out I may not see much change as I don't have 200hp. It is made for the higher horsepower 360's. So couldn't justify the cost for a "maybe" increase of a kt or 2.

I bet Bob Axsom would be interested in 2 kts. :D

I wonder if we could get WW to allow Bob to test one and report the results. They could not get a better test engineer.

I bet Bob Axsom would be interested in 2 kts. :D

I wonder if we could get WW to allow Bob to test one and report the results. They could not get a better test engineer.

I have the new version 200RV (with the scimitar tips) being turned by a 195 hp IO-375. I am getting a max speed of 181 KTAS with everything to the wall. I'm still working out little parasite drag gremlins here and there before I get my -8 painted. I'm wondering how fast it will go with paint and the gaps taped over. I'm hoping to race this bird someday--will let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, my last post was edited by a moderator for an "expletive." The wording that was removed was the term "balls to the wall." I can understand how this can be misunderstood as crude language; it's a common mistake. This term has absolutely nothing to do with genitalia. It was a term used in WWII by bomber pilots when they pushed all the levers as far forward as possible--to the wall. Their cockpit throttle levers all had ball shaped grips on the end of them.

I use the term for two reasons. 1) it's vocabulary that's part of our aviation heritage, and 2) it was taught to me by my grandfather who was one of those bomber pilots (a true gentleman who I hold in high regard that never uses profanity of any sort).

Anyway, no hard feelings for the moderator edit. I just thought I'd clear the air on the real origin of "balls to the wall."

For the record, my last post was edited by a moderator for an "expletive." The wording that was removed was the term "balls to the wall." I can understand how this can be misunderstood as crude language; it's a common mistake. This term has absolutely nothing to do with genitalia. It was a term used in WWII by bomber pilots when they pushed all the levers as far forward as possible--to the wall. Their cockpit throttle levers all had ball shaped grips on the end of them.

I use the term for two reasons. 1) it's vocabulary that's part of our aviation heritage, and 2) it was taught to me by my grandfather who was one of those bomber pilots (a true gentleman who I hold in high regard that never uses profanity of any sort).

Anyway, no hard feelings for the moderator edit. I just thought I'd clear the air on the real origin of "balls to the wall."

Great follow up post. Thank you for carrying on with your grandfathers example and a historically meaningful discription of the aircrafts performance state.

I'm getting close to ordering my prop. It'll either be a 200RV or 74RV. I have an ECI IOX-370 w/P-Mags, Silverhawk and 9:1 compression, so the engine is rated at 205hp.

Anyone flying with the 74RV who can compare it to a 200RV or Hartzell?

Thanks!
Russ

Thank you for that bit of info, too cool. I did not know that!

Great follow up post. Thank you for carrying on with your grandfathers example and a historically meaningful discription of the aircrafts performance state.

Actually, the original, origin of balls to the wall, or balls out, was based on the flyball governors on a steam locomotive. When stoked and at full power the balls were all the way out, to the wall. They were brass too.

I can not say the aviation reference was not valid, but just not the first use of the term meaning "full power"

Hey Tom!!

I am making good use of the wing stands you passed along earlier this year. Hopefully another month or so and the second wing will be off the stand!

I did not realize you were based at Lake Norman Airport. The early entries in my logbook all have "LNA" as the airport from when I was a student at Davidson in the mid seventies, and taking flying lessons and working at Lake Norman Airport to earn flying time. The official designation 14A came to being after my private check ride.

Happy New Year!!

Bill Vinson
RV-7: 280 hours into construction.

I have a 74RV on mine. 65 hours (ish). Angle valve, 10:1, .020 over, Pmags, cold air, injected. Wide open, 2600 rpm, 8000 feet I see 186 knots true consistently. I like it, but then I have the engine it was designed for. It's longer and heavier than the 200RV. If you have the engine to turn it, and don't mind giving up the ground clearance, weight and some climb in favor of a few knots......

I can say there is no way I would have purchased this prop without also having this engine and a plane intended for high speed, long distance cruise. Ground clearance alone would have dissuaded me.

Last edited:
I ended up pulling the trigger on one. She's sitting in our spare bedroom. :)

My engine is the ECI IOX370, 9:1, Cold Air, Precision FI, PMags, rated at 205hp. So near the bottom end of the horsepower range this prop likes.

Whirlwind 74 RV Propeller

I traded my 200 RV for the 74 RV. It really looks cool. It is a little slower than the 200RV only a knot or 2. It really slows in the pattern better. It is also louder in cruise than the 200 RV. For cool it is worth it, for speed don't waste your money. I have a IO 390. I suppose now I'll have to get 10:1 pistons to make more power to see if it will be faster then.

That's unfortunate. Slower, slightly heavier and louder. :-(

If I'd have known that, the cool factor wouldn't have been enough to get me to choose it.