Gregmarlow

Well Known Member
While the group buy for the 200RV prop is enticing, I'm not convinced that this is the right prop for my 320 powered RV-9A. It seems like the 200RV is a bit more prop than the 320 can use, at least on the bottom of the range, while the 151 seems like its right on the sweet spot.

Anyone have any experience with either the 200RV or a 151 on a IO-320 that would care to share their experience?

I understand that the 151 would require me to replace the Van's supplied MT governor, and the 200RV would not. Is there anything else required for the 151? I read in an old post about using the 151 required a harmonic balancer or something.... is that still required or is that with the old aluminum ferule blades?

Thanks in advance,

My experience

I swapped out a Sensenich fixed pitch for a 151 just last month. About 10 hours now. I could not be happier with it. 6a with an O-320, AFP injection and electronic ignition.

While most would suggest a loss in cruise because of three blades and I was planning to accept that, I saw a couple of knots increase at the same rpm and fuel flow. I can run faster if I like too as I can run 200 rpm faster in cruise with this prop. It feels very good at 2700 too. Smoother than the Sensenich.

Take off and climb are tremendous which is important to me as I operate at high density altitude mountain airports most of the time. A saved about 20 pounds over my fixed pitch! The door to door time for my typical trip, which involves a 7 thousand foot climb and descent on each end, is noticeably less.

I used the jiho governor. It fit behind the engine without the divet in the firewall like most CS installs require. Otherwise a standard install - no counterbalance required.

I have not operated it below 8500 feet DA. Maybe the drag of an extra blade would be evident down low.

The decreased gyroscopic effect is very evident. Much easier to change pitch quickly. There is also less yaw in turbulent conditions.

Can't compare it to the two-blade Whirlwind but the 200 would have to do some pretty fantastic things to beat out the 151 in my app. I suspect the 200 is built heavier and I think it may have a longer time between inspections.

prop cable bracket?

With the jiho govenor, did you have to fabricate a new prop cable bracket? I'm assuming the one from Van's won't fit.

Thanks for the info,

Bracket

To tell you the truth, I did not even look to see what Vans offered. I made one.

With the jiho govenor, did you have to fabricate a new prop cable bracket? I'm assuming the one from Van's won't fit.
The Van's bracket fits perfectly, the Jiho and the MT governors are the same dimensionally. In fact MT started by buying Jiho governors, then eventually cloned it and made it themselves.

Excellent news

Thats great. Now if Greg and the bunch will include me in the RV group discount for the 151 and the governor, I'd be off the fence on this.

Thanks again,