FAF

Must have done something wrong the first time so I am trying again. I was wanting to use the Whirlwind 151 prop in combination with an I0-360 180 Hp engine. The Whirlwind website says that to use the 151 the engine has to have a counterbalanced crankshaft which means a angle head engine. In talking with Whirlwind they say to use the 180 HP engine I would have to use a harmonic balancer. My questions is anybody in the group using this combination and what are pro's and con's in using this combination?

Thanks,
Frank Foreman

Any particular reason you would choose the 151 over the 200RV designed specifically for use with RVs? It does not have the counter-weight restriction.

You are correct about the RV2000, just always like the look of the 3 blade prop. Thanks, Frank

Frank,

You don't indicate which model RV you are building, but I agree with breister, consider the 200RV. It was designed specifically for the RV family, in fact it was designed specifically for the RV-8 to be exact. It is a more robust hub design and performs very well in all regards. Granted, it is not as light as the 151 which is why I installed a 151 on my RV-3B, but is significantly lighter than a Hartzell. I have owned and flown an 200RV and can recommend it. I have yet to meet an owner who doesn't love theirs. There were some fairly minor issues with spinner bulkheads early on but they have all been resolved. Whirl Wind has really done a good job of supporting the product also, an important consideration.

Some pilots do like the aesthetics of a 3-blade prop. Be advised though that it does make getting the cowl off/on just slighty more difficult. Then of course there are the aerodynamic fundamentals of a 3-blade design... more surface area = more drag.

Although a bit dated now here is more info on my experience with these props on my RV-8...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Prop.htm

As mentioned above I have a 151 on my RV-3B due to its light weight. Just passed 100 hours this weekend and it's performing great but keep in mind it is installed on an IO-320...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/Prop/prop.html

Three Blades

Frank,

I am running the exact set up you are asking about on a RV8. I do have the harmonic balancer and the prop is very smooth. I have about 450 hours on it and all is well. This engine is also using electronic ignition and 10:1 compression for about 195 HP. The guy that builds the balancer is out of California and builds them mainly for top fuel dragsters. I talked to him briefly after purchasing the plane and I believe he said it weighs 11 pounds.

A couple things the 151 does supply other than great aesthetics is better ground clearance and a little less noise and vibration. When cruising at altitude, this prop can get pretty quite at 2,100 rpm.

medium.jpg

The Balancer

http://picasaweb.google.com/Flyrod01/VariousWEBPictures/photo#5210858351472693474

Flyrod, saw your plane at Sun-N-Fun and would have like to talked to you about how the prop was working for you but didnt' think to leave a note with my cell phone number on it. I will check out the balancer web site when I get to my home computer. Thanks, Frank

Stats

John,

My typical cruise mode is 65% power at 10,000 feet or about 11,500 to 12,000 DA which gives me about 207 mph TAS. My MAP is at 19-20 and I turn the prop at 2450 but have been recently slowing the prop to 2100 for even greater noise reduction.

Frank,

PM that cell and I will give you a ring.

Last edited: