Gash

Well Known Member
I am going to do a P-51 warbird style paint scheme for my RV-8. I am ordering a dark gray (choices were white or gray) Whirl Wind 200RV 2-blade prop. I want to try to stay as close as possible to the warbird paint scheme for the prop (tough to do with a Whirl Wind, I know...) In order to do this, I would like to do yellow prop tips. I was wondering if anybody else has done this with their Whirl Wind prop? Do you have any photos you could share? I'm curious to see how this would look in real life. Thanks!

Have your painter do the tips later...

Unless you have the paint code for your final scheme, suggest that you hold off on the tips and order it plain and have your painter do them when the whole thing is painted.

Thanks! I like that black prop with the yellow tips. I'll just call them directly and ask for the black with yellow like you described. The picture is worth a thousand words--thanks for taking the time to reply guys!

Also, just curious, why gloss black in front and flat black in the back of the prop?

Last edited:
Here's another vote for black with yellow tips - WW did it for us "standard" when they overhauled the prop that went on Tsam. Check the June VAF calender for pics....

Also, just curious, why gloss black in front and flat black in the back of the prop?

Glossy black will reflect too much glare back at you with the sun behind you, can be very distracting.

Hello Juvat,
I also went with the black and yellow tips on my WW200RV.
The back side of the prop isn't glossy and won't reflect the sunlight. The paint job made by WW is really well done.
When I received the prop, I decided to put it in the living room (as the engine wasn't ready to be hung). My mum at first didn't like it but after some months being there and after friends tells "wow what a piece a art!!", you can't imagine how hard it was to put it on the plane emptying the living room...
That is the only issue you could have with a WW200RV prop :D
DSC_0537.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that really is a beautiful piece of art! If money were unlimited, you could buy one for the airplane, and another for the home. ;) I love those clean, fluid lines.