Peter.Fruehling

Well Known Member
I had planned to buy the Hartzell Blended airfoil and snap that on my RV-7 until I starting doing a bit of homework on the Whirl Wind 200RV. I really like the concept but have one remaining concern that I hope a few of you that have been flying a Whirl Wind prop for a while can help me with.

I'm looking for feedback and/or pics of anyone that has flown a Whirl Wind prop (not necessarily the 200RV) in a fair amount in rain or IMC. My concern is that it wouldn't hold up as well as the Hartzell.

The person I spoke to at Whirl Wind says it is a non-issue but I would like to hear from those that have experience before I make a decision.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Peter

Check your W&B - you may want the Hartzell afterall. More disussion on this issue in the thread here.
No knock on the WW200RV - I've got one on order for my 8, but removing weight from front end may not be to your advantage on a 7.

No problems with mine

I've got about 200 hours on my WW200 now and have flown in rain, grass strips and through a taxiway construction project at my home field with no visible damage to the leading edges at all.
The only evidence of all this operation is I do have a few small paint chips on the back of the blades, but I'm sure this is from FOD kicked up while taxiing.

Not valid

This is not a factor. I did about every calculation possible to check the W&B and would be difficult to get a 7 out of CG range. I also have box behind my baggage compartment. I flew it to test aft CG range and found it was very flyable but did notice the elevator was more sensitive in landing flare.

Regarding flying in rain with the 200RV, I have flown in rain several times and in one case in very heavy rain. My prop looks new.

Use with confidence. The CG range with the RV's is very conservative for obvious reasons.

Check your W&B - you may want the Hartzell afterall. More disussion on this issue in the thread here.
No knock on the WW200RV - I've got one on order for my 8, but removing weight from front end may not be to your advantage on a 7.

Thanks for the info guys!

Anyone else brave the rain on a regular basis with a Whirl Wind prop? ...always looking for more experiences.

As for the CG issue on the -7, I'm planning a full size James cowl which moves the full weight of the prop forward 2.5 inches. If my CG stills comes in a bit aft of what I'm comfortable with, I don't have a problem dealing with it in the final stages of the build considering I saved about 14 pounds over the Hartzell. Adding a little weight up front won't kill me IF it came to that.

I truly appreciate all the feedback and information as I ponder my decision guys! Thanks again!

- Peter

No problems in rain

I have a WW200 RV propeller on my RV-8 and live in the Pacific Northwest, where is rains a lot. I have flown my plane more than 550 hours, including in very heavy rains and my prop shows no signs of wear. The leading edge of the WW200 is made of nickle metal, which is much harder than aluminum. The prop is approved for unimproved strips; when you pick up a rock, it is pulverized and does not leave a dent or mark on the leading edge of the propeller. With the 200 RV propeller you can fly in any kind of weather, including snow and sleet, without worries. It is a great propeller in all respects.

Dan Miller
RV-8 N3TU 550+ hours

Thanks Dan!

Well I'm yet to hear ONE person say anything negative about a Whirl Wind prop...and there are more flying that I thought! It seems everyone has had good experiences with both the products and the company so this decision becomes an easier one.

Thanks again for the information everyone!

- Peter

Thanks for the info guys!

Anyone else brave the rain on a regular basis with a Whirl Wind prop? ...always looking for more experiences.

- Peter

Peter,
I have over 600 hours on the 200RV. Have been in heavy rain, grass and dirt strips many times and have no issues with the prop. My RV-8 seems to be one of the fastest in town and I attribute that to the Whirlwind propeller. It is a work of art!

Peter,
Are you aware there is a group buy in progress at this time for the 200RV?
Sully

Hey Sully -

Thanks for the heads up and yes I am aware of the group buy. That was actually the reason I started considering options to the stand by Hartzell Blended Airfoil.

If things go the way I plan I will be putting my deposit in soon.

- Peter

Last edited:
Peter,
I have over 600 hours on the 200RV. Have been in heavy rain, grass and dirt strips many times and have no issues with the prop. My RV-8 seems to be one of the fastest in town and I attribute that to the Whirlwind propeller. It is a work of art!

I appreciate it Ron! That's the type of "high time" feedback I'm looking for. Together you and Dan have over 1000 hours and yours and seem delighted.

- Peter

Get one. You won't regret it

Peter,

Like Ron's airplane, my plane too seems to be the fastest RV in the neighborhood with the 200 RV prop. It also is the smoothest and quietest propeller/engine combination that I have ever flown behind. My engine (parallel-valve IO-360 M1) has 9.2 to 1 pistons, one LightSpeed ignition, and fuel injection and there are no RPM restrictions or rough rpm ranges with the 200 RV propeller. Like Ron says, it is a work of art. I love it.

Cheers,

Dan Miller
RV-8 N3TU

Can not confirm it all yet with lots of doubly confirmed data, as I am just coming out of 40 HR Phase 1 with my RV 200 - but it seems very smooth, holds steady RPM (with a Jihostra gov), and with an IO-360 and 1 lightspeed in my basically stock RV-6, I can bury the 2000 fpm VSI in a steady 80 KIAS climb and can easily indicate Vne in level flight with full power.

So far it all seems good!! Did I mention these are great airplanes??