TThurston

Well Known Member
I wonder which tungsten bucking bar to get. Avery currently lists several sizes:

5/8 x 1 x 4

3/4 x 1-1/2 x 2

5/8 x 5/8 x 2

3/4 x 3/4 x 4

1 x 1 x 2-1/4

I currently have several steel bucking bars. The narrowest that I use is 1" wide. I worry about a bar narrow than that bouncing off the shop head. So I like the idea of the 1 x 1 x 2-1/4 bar, except that it seems a bit short to hold. I imagine the 1 x 1 x 5/8 would be easier to hold. For those of you with a tungsten bar, could you please help me make an informed choice?

Thanks

We've got a pair - the 6005 and 6007 - and now that we've pretty much built all the structure for the RV-3, I can say that they'd be some of the last things I'd let go of from my tool box. A very versatile pair of bars. All of my various steel bars are sitting un-used in the drawer now....

Paul

I wonder which tungsten bucking bar to get. Avery currently lists several sizes:

5/8 x 1 x 4

3/4 x 1-1/2 x 2

5/8 x 5/8 x 2

3/4 x 3/4 x 4

1 x 1 x 2-1/4

I currently have several steel bucking bars. The narrowest that I use is 1" wide. I worry about a bar narrow than that bouncing off the shop head. So I like the idea of the 1 x 1 x 2-1/4 bar, except that it seems a bit short to hold. I imagine the 1 x 1 x 5/8 would be easier to hold. For those of you with a tungsten bar, could you please help me make an informed choice?

Thanks

I have the 5/8 x 1 x 4 and the 1 x 1 x 2-1/4. I prefer the 1x1 but do use the 1x4 at times.

It is easer for me keep the 1x1 bar square. Less tipping of shop heads. It also provides a larger end with less chance of slipping off.

I also feel like when riveting towards the end of the 4" bar using the 1" face I am not really benefiting much from the greater density (and price) of the bar. In other words, not much of the bar weight is really being used.

Just my 2 cents.

I second Paul's nod toward the 6005. It was used on most of the rivets on my 9A. It is very versatile.

I have two. The 5/8 x 1 x 4 and the 1 x 1 x 2-1/4. I've not needed anything else and I'm halfway through the fuselage.

Hello Tom,

Mine is not an Avery but it is much like their 6007. Fits the hand nicely and has several angles to suit most bucking situations.

The little things are heavy and want to fall right out of your hand, and will make a heck of a DENT in whatever they hit.

To prevent this, I use pieces of duct tape rolled up length wise (so only adhesive is showing) wrapped around the bar so the thing sticks to my hand. Dents prevented.

pk

646349888_q8J9X-M.jpg

I got this one from Avery. Works terrific. Depending on what I'm trying to buck, I customize the bar to keep it from denting/scratching with tape.
I have a couple of steel bars and I have rarely had to use them.