fehdxl

Well Known Member
Curious...what tool are you all using to shrink the heat shrink around a wire?
Thx!
-Jim

Electric heat gun whenever possible.

Soldering iron tip, Bic lighter or other as needed.....

Here's what I use:

Ungar1095.jpg

Along with this:

UngarReflector.jpg

The reflector helps focus the heat for heat shrink, providing nice even heat and speeding up the process.

About $60 for both.

Thanks guys! I don't have a heat-gun, so I've been using a lighter. Didn't seem like the best technique; but you all confirmed it's a commonly used alternate means.

Fly safe!

-Jim

In places you can not reach effectively with a heat gun, I have used the $1.99 long extended lighter. It worked when I could not use my heat gun with a rectangular end fitting.

I would be careful using a lighter. I have been working Avionics int the USAF for 30 year. I have seen to many time when a light is used the heat shrink gets over heated and becomes brittle.

Works great ...and goes as low as $12 when they have a sale.

I second Harbor Freight. I purchase this a couple weeks ago to have a second heat gun. My son was borrowing mine for his senior project, so he got an early Chritmas present.

It's currently on sale for $13.99, when applied with a 20% off coupon that they've been running every week in the Sunday paper, that's not a bad price.

image_11971.jpg

I would be careful using a lighter. I have been working Avionics int the USAF for 30 year. I have seen to many time when a light is used the heat shrink gets over heated and becomes brittle.

Welcome to VAF, Mike! You've no doubt already discovered what a wealth of info exists here, and with your experience, you're well equipped to add to it. Good luck on starting your build.

--
Stephen

Thanks Stephen!!!

I have my plans in hand and plan on my tail kit delivery on April Fool's Day. I suspect that is the best day to represent my build. :D I think I will be giving more then I take, but I am looking forward to the journey! :p